VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. ESPN will shut down its specialized ESPN 3D channel by the end of the year, proving once again that 3D is a gimmick that the general public could not care less about. The move was confirmed via Twitter by an ESPN PR affiliate, who cited the lack of adoption of 3D TVs and services as the reason.

A second spokesperson added: "Nobody knows more about sports in 3D than ESPN, and we will be ready to provide the service to fans if or when 3D does take off."

The channel launched in June 2010 to broadcast the FIFA World Cup.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    This isn't prove that 3d is a gimmick,just that this type of channel wasn't popular,that like saying color was a gimmick if nobody watched a color sports when most people had b/w tv.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. 3D has been around since at least the 1950's, and will always be around in a small way I suppose. I remember in the early 80's as a kid, wearing those silly red and blue glasses.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    MGM made a few 3D short features in the mid-1930's (some in color, too!). Two of them narrated by Pete Smith.

3D might not be innately a "gimmick", but it's used that way. Back in the 1950's it was definitely a gimmick that added little or nothing to a movie's impression, except in a few famous cases of now-classic films where cameramen and directors were able to augment the story line with something more than "in your face" contrived effects. Two of the better films that come to mind were It Came From Outer Space and Kiss Me Kate. To their credit, those films today do quite well without 3D. But most of the 3D I saw in the 50's was really awful material, 3D or no 3D.

Since then, two generations have been media-trained to focus on effect rather than content. Times change.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 25th Mar 2014 at 12:31.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    3D channels as such are iffy. My cable provider doesn't carry them at all. Many don't. Viewership probably never was that good as a result.

However, the market has spoken and 3D films are here to stay. All the major animated films will be released in 3D. Disney (including Pixar) and DreamWorks simply don't make animated films in only 2D any more. Roughly 20% of the non-animated films will be in 3D too. The market seems willing to support this level of 3D.
    Quote Quote  
  6. And now the BBC is dropping its 3d channel: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23195479

You'll know it's all over when Penthouse drops its 3d channel!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if they'll still shoot them in 3d? For bluray release later? (espn that is)

This is totally offtopic but how do those 2d to 3d conversions some 3dtvs have look? Do they actually do anything or is it just a waste for any "fake 3d" a 3dtv could make from a 2d source?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    3D didn't turn out to be the bonanza the Hollywood studios hoped for at all. I'm certainly not surprised that TV network support for it is waning.

I also don't think that necessarily makes 3D a gimmick. It depends on who's using it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This kind of news is ALWAYS used by the haters to advance their personal agenda of "I hate 3D. Therefore I knew it would fail and it makes me happy that it did." or "It has always failed and it always will fail." and so on.

I actually do have a 3D TV and I do sometimes buy 3D BluRays. My TV provider offers no content at all in 3D. I'm not surprised that ESPN and the BBC are pulling the plug given the lack of support by providers and the low penetration of 3D TVs, but 3D movies are here to stay folks. Animated films and maybe 20% of live action movies (usually big budget films) will continue to be in the format.

I doubt that ESPN will shoot in 3D anyway. I can't any evidence that they have ever released a 3D BluRay unless maybe they are tied in to one of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit models 3D BD releases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98
    I doubt that ESPN will shoot in 3D anyway. I can't any evidence that they have ever released a 3D BluRay unless maybe they are tied in to one of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit models 3D BD releases.
    I was thinking more in the lines of a super bowl or something or maybe the next fifa cup.

But I wouldn't put it past them to do the swimsuit shoot......
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yoda313, I have tried the 2d-to-3d conversion on my 3D tv and I can honestly say it is a waste of time, in my opinion. Like jman98, I have purchased some 3D BluRay titles and I like them a lot. I have always been a 3D fan (dating back to the ViewMaster), but at the same time considered it something that would not catch on fire with the general public. As a matter of fact, I only know ONE person personally who is into 3D TV.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote