VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I've just bought an Acer 17.3" 771G, NVidia Geforce GT630M with pre-loaded IE 10.0.5.

The problem is that when I stream video (BBC Iplayer etc..) I get an extremely anoying thin white border around the full screen display.

My desktop (Custom built ASUS / ATI / IE9) plays with full screen and no border, no problem.

I've never encountered this problem before and I can't find anything online relating to this problem.

Help pls on the source and solution to this prob. TY.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll ask the obvious.

You also do not get this border when you play non-streamed video full screen ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It only seems to be online streaming. Everything is superb through VLC Media player, Windows Media Player, any file format - no probs. Its just online streaming through the browser.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Is your Acer running in it's native resolution? Not sure that will make any difference but something is resizing that video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I've just tried SKY player and 4OD and they are both fine on my laptop (no white border).

It must just be BBC IPlayer in conjunction with Windows 8 and IE 10?

BBC IPlayer works fine on my Desktop (Windows 8 IE 9)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aaaaahhhhh. Managed to use the "invisible typing on the IDIOT Windows 8 5yr old block screen" to launch the browser. Is this the "Metro" screen?. Nightmare but now WORSE problems.
    The white border on my laptop screen problem didn't happen but I now have menu bars, no full screen, left and right arrow icons, title bar at the bottom of the screen with no options, an idiotic "welcome "GOOD CHOICE " of Browser notification........ "GOOD CHOICE".... I'd hate to have made a "BAD CHOICE" if this disaster is anything to go by ....

I use HDMI output from my laptop to my LCD TV. Set aside the apauling Win 8 Interface, when dragging the DVI output to my TV I now have a damn Left Side bar and split screen and cant get full screen on my TV
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have "<" browser back on the left of the left of the left split screen side bar in conjunction with the Windows 8 Left Corner bar. A ">" browser forward navigation button on the right of the right of the split screen conflicting with the right of the right side of the split screen conflicting with the default Windows 8 right menu bar.

I cant run the non white border version of IE through the desktop interface of Windows 8 due to the "White Border" issue. Nor can I launch a "run" command to access the Windows block (Metro) version of IE as there is no "Invisible typing", "Start button" or "run" command in the desktop interface.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its a damn OS problem isnt it? Perhaps I should reformat all partitions on my Laptop ( I cant even clean install Win 8 from the hardware partition without Bloatware as I couldnt get a Win 8 Install disk with my new laptop and I don't know how to extract a boot install of Win 8 from my Pre-Installed HDD!!) then dig out my Win XP x64 disks.

I think it best to take a Vallium, curse Bill Gates and get some rest. Thank you for your help. I'll redress this tomorrow when I'm slightly less furious, more measured, my blood temp has dropped below boiling point and steam has stopped billowing out of my ears. Please tell me that its not just me with Windows 8 interface and apps etc.... I'll sleep more souldly. TY
    Quote Quote  
  10. To put your mind at rest I have the exact same issue in Desktop IE10 on Win8 myself. I even had to switch browsers to reply to this thread as I couldn't click the white box to edit. IE10 is soooo bad.

Only solution I've found is to switch to Firefox and watch iplayer in there. Using Metro IE not an option for me as too many websites don't work right.
    Quote Quote