VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    I'm trying to make sense of the XML structure to make an SVCD. I want one sequence item with multiple entry points. I want to be able to use NEXT and PREV buttons. My question is, do I use selection items to define this or playlist items? What is the difference? Or am I totally misunderstanding how to do this?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can use either.

However, with <selection>, you can define <timeout>, so that after the sequence has finished playing, it will go to another menu (main menu), or a "change disc" screen, etc.

With <playlist>, if you start watching from chapter one all the way to the end, it will then go to <next> which would be chapter2. The behaviour looks really retarded after you've seen it once.

I suggest <selection>

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  3. By way of example, the Extended VCD editor of WinOnCD 3.6 doesn't even permit you to create playlists--everything is a selection.

Playlists do have one benefit: you can specify multiple play items in a single playlist. As far as I know, selections don't do that. (Or maybe I made a typo when I tried it.)
    Quote Quote  
  4. <playlist> has several benefits, though most of them are minor.

1. as tacosalad stated, you can specify multiple play items
    2. you can use <autowait> in conjunction with <auto-pause>
    3. you can use <playtime>
    4. you can set the <wait> time to zero (if you set <wait> to 0 on a finite loop in <selection> you end up with a random jump rather than no waiting to whatever is defined in <timeout> )

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote