VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. 3D help - PC to TV 3D movies,?

Hello. I am new here..
    and i really dont know much about 3D.

I have just bought a Philips 3D TV, 6000 series, 42". I have it hooked up to my PC, Windows 7, via HDMI cable, (I think its a normal one) I have a Ge force 120 GC.

We have a KMPlayer and Bino player that we have downloaded. But with our glasses (Not battery ones) It dosent come out in 3D

How can I play 3D movies that I download, from my PC and produce them on my 3D TV?
    Do I need a special player? Something Stereoscopic Player? Where can I get a free one?
    Do I have to configure something?
    Change cable?
    How do I get my TV to reconoize that I am watching something 3D on youtube.

I also have my Xbox 360 hooked up via HDMI to the TV and I can play Blackops 2 in 3D and watch Youtube in 3D from the smartTv iself.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Does anyone know what format 3D I have to view in? Side by side? or... some other format? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    In addition to reading up on what constitutes 3D and the various technologies & techniques available (which you can look over a number of my past posts here to get up to speed), a good place to start would be to test out your system with a known good 3D clip and a known good 3D-capable app.

Get a copy of Stereoscopic Player (it's a free DL, even if it's crippleware). While you're at it, get a copy of one of that site's WMV dualstream clips. It should play in SP correctly without any additional setup - all that would be necessary would be choosing the output format.

Those Philips 6000 series 3DTVs sound a whole lot like the LG model I have: FPR-based Passive 3D, with the usual input options - FramePacking (automatic), Top/Bottom (usually manual), Side-by-Side(usually manual) and 2D->3D (manual). Of course, I would never recommend that last item as it is basically just "faking" it.

Load up your 3D WMV clip, and set your Output Viewing Format/Layout as "Side-by-Side for 3DTVs". If it (the app and your vid card) is able to generate the HDMI SEI signalling, your TV will AUTOMATICALLY want to go into 3D at that point (even though it's side-by-side). If not, you should be able to get 3D manually by choosing the Side-by-Side option. The TV itself internally converts from SBS/TAB, etc to FPR Interline Passive (where each alternating row is polarized in the opposite direction - Clockwise, Counter-clockwise, CW, CCW, etc). The passive glasses you have (which probably are TOTALLY compatible with the kind you would get at your standard RealD 3D movie theatre) then separate those images out to the individual eyes. You don't notice the missing in-between lines, just like we all never noticed Interlaced TV (much).

If you have 3DBD's (either the real discs, 1:1 BD-R-50 backups, or mounted ISOs) you should be able to play them with one of the 3 available 3DBD-capable commercial apps: Arcsoft TMT, Cyberlink PowerDVD, Corel WinDVD. And, to a lesser extent (and when externally decrypted) from SP above.

Understand that many of the "side-by-side" or "top-and-bottom" clips that are available on the 'Net are ~1/2 resolution of their original FullHD3D sources (from BD3D, DualMux streams, Dual Files, etc), and for all external intents & purposes look to be just your regular 2D video, though with a strange, "duplicated" layout. This is what's known as "frame-compatible".

That's a start.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thank you for your reply and taking the time to answer, I will try everything out and get back to you
    and see if I can figure this all out.

Another question I do have.
    When I watch a youtube video, that is in 3D, on the App on the Smart Tv function, It is in 3D, and a great quality at that.
    When I watch that same video on my PC, Its still 3D, but not very good quality.
    Would buying a HDMI 1.4 Special 3D cable make a difference here?

We was able to go into the settings on the youtube video and change to the settings after going threw all of them and trying them out till we found one that was 3D ,.. but not very good.

Thank you again. your time and help is really appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The app is built into the TV, so it is built to recognize the YT3D tag. It is probably also built to do a nice, smart-resize to the exact dimensions of your TV (lucky you! - I don't' have that capability on mine).
    If you had a PC with new, powerful 3D-capable vid card and saw the same clip in 3D, in full-screen, it SHOULD give you close to what you're getting with the integrated app.
    BTW, there is no "special HDMI 1.4" cable. There is Standard HDMI, and Hi-speed HDMI (and variations on those that include Ethernet). That's it. However, for the best 3D, you should be using the High-speed HDMI cables.

Not sure which settings you were changing, but YT3D rarely gives optimum options, because most users don't have the correct means to get it output to 3D. As a test, I was able to get a decent X-eye view on my work PC's standard monitor, though it was obviously smaller size than fullscreen (because of the letterboxing to maintain the AR).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hmm, Well we just downloaded a 3D movie, and when we put the movie on a USB stick, and put in on the TV, It plays, but there is two images side by side but we cant find a way to change that on the TV. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    As per the manual:
    [Setup menu -> TV settings -> 3D -> Switch to 3D: "Auto", "Notify", "No" (never)]. I would suggest "Notify", until you are used to working w/ 3D.

To switch manually, when 3D HDMI SEI is missing, push [3D] then select "Side-by-side". To switch manuall OFF, choose [Options], select [3D Depth] and choose "Off".

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hello,

I got this video which is a 3D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9EreyMgkI

When I play it, I don't see the normal video but the same video split in 2 - with A/R gone haywire!

What am I doing wrong?

Please suggest a way out.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    For new, unrelated questions, it is more appropriate to start a new thread...

Are you trying to view this clip in 3D or in 2D?

A 3d SbS clip being inaccurately shown in 2d looks exactly like you're describing. It is NOT "the same video", but rather the left and right views combined.

How are you playing it? What apps, pathways, devices?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thanks, Scott.

Found this thread via search string "3D".

I am using PotPlayer with 3D enabled in Preferences. The system is PC connected to Full HD(1080p) LED monitor via HDMI cable. So, I think I am watching a 3D video in 2D. I am not sure if it works.

Not the right devices/hardware?

It's an MP4 file.
    Last edited by ConverterCrazy; 14th Jul 2014 at 23:43. Reason: Additional info added.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I Don't use potplayer, so not clear on what it's expecting. "3d enabled" could mean many things.

If you are trying to see a 3d clip AS 3d ON a 2d monitor, you don't have a lot of choices: anaglyph, old school field-sequential, parallel or crosseye freeview. All not such great quality.

That likely cannot be done using potplayer without avisynth assistance. (Except parallel, for obvious reasons).

If you are only trying to see the clip as 2d, try unchecking the "3d enabled" option. If that doesn't work, use a different player, such as Stereoscopic Player, or pipe the file through potplayer via avisynth, where the avisynth script crops & resizes one of the 2 halves. Or, do a crop+resize+convert to a new, regular 2d file.

If you're wondering why your 3d clip doesn't play in 3d using a "3d enabled" app, it's because you are not using a true 3d monitor AND (because of HDMI negotiation)THE APP KNOWS IT.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 15th Jul 2014 at 01:08.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks, Scott, for explaining.

Searching for "Stereoscopic Player" in your reply, led me to this useful link:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/329541-How-to-encode-3D-STEREOSCOPIC-to-2D

which in turn led me to this link:

http://insideofasmallbox.blogspot.in/2010/12/encode-3-d-to-2-d-in-avidemux.html

Once again, thank you.
    I think I got it.
    Last edited by ConverterCrazy; 15th Jul 2014 at 08:08. Reason: added text
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Could have helped you more quickly if you had just explained to me clearly what you wanted.

Btw, don't follow those link's steps verbatim, as that guy doesn't know what he's doing and is unnecessarily worsening the quality (extra b frames, extra resizes).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thanks for cautioning me, Scott.

I want to watch this video in 3D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB9EreyMgkI (downloaded to hard disk).
    When I didn't get that, I came to this forum (I always do when in trouble) for help.

As I see it, my hardware/software doesn't seem to support 3D
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I would say "No, it doesn't," but cannot be sure since you haven't fully described your hardware yet.

However, as I mentioned above, there are still options. ANAGLYPH is the poor man's 3D. All modern color tvs can do anaglyph, including standard 2D HD and SD monitors.

There are Avisynth scripts in previous threads on this site which handle SbS->Anaglyph converting. Or you could use SP, which can easily do it on the fly in playback. There are others.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  16. Thanks, Scott!

I followed your post above at #3 and

It is working! Amazing!

Though the Stereoscopic Player is a Trial version with restrictions. But the clip played… and played well!
    Thank you.
    I wish there were some free player.

As for Avisynth scripts, I am a complete illiterate at that

I'll keep watching this thread and Tools for some FREE Stereoscopic Player.
    I had almost given up any hope of playing it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Well, there is StereoMovieMaker & StereoMoviePlayer, both of which are free. But neither has been updated real recently (SMM-Feb2013, SMP-2010), and his apps always had weird programming restrictions (my guess is the programmer did it as a hobby and wasn't fully aware of all the complexities of VFW/Directshow video architecture & lean,clean programming in general - but I still liked his stuff, quite helpful on some levels). YMMV, particularly if you've got newer format files (AVC in MKV, etc).

Glad to help.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    @ConverterCrazy,
    Not sure if you were aware of this: As per http://3dvision-blog.com/tag/potplayer-3d/, looks like you can do a realtime on-the-fly conversion of SbS to Anaglyph using PotPlayer!

Sounds more like what you were intending to do in the 1st place.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  19. http://www.dvbsupport.net/info/potplayer.html

Search "1.5.43738" in the page and you'll get some interesting information.

*Added the ability to auto detect 3D input format based on filename suffixes*
    *Added the ability to auto switch between video modes (2D<>3D)*

There is more detailed explanation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-17_2-21-23.png
Views:	6956
Size:	489.5 KB
ID:	26444
    Quote Quote  
  20. Me & my clumsy ways!

Thanks a ton. Will try and post the feedback.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Bino, mentioned earlier, can also do on the fly converting of SBS to Anaglyph. I've done it before. Looks like Potplayer has more choices but Bino can do Dubois (as can Potplayer plus many more) which might be useful in some instances. The Bino interface is much simpler and easier to navigate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sounds like SP is finally getting some open-source 3d capable player competition.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by sheppaul View Post
    http://www.dvbsupport.net/info/potplayer.html

Search "1.5.43738" in the page and you'll get some interesting information.

*Added the ability to auto detect 3D input format based on filename suffixes*
    *Added the ability to auto switch between video modes (2D<>3D)*

There is more detailed explanation.

[Attachment 26444 - Click to enlarge]
    Thanks.
    Looks like I am doing something wrongly. I am not able to play it in Potplayer.
    I'll revert to version 1.5.43738 and try again.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hi scott, hopefully you still monitoring this form,

Simular to the first post, I want to play FullHD3D original content shot with 2 GoPros. We want to use stereoscopic player and play it on 3D projector Panasonic AE8000.
    Is my best option to convert the left and right eye to wmv and then make dual stream file following:http://www.3dtv.at/Knowhow/EncodingWmv_en.aspx

do I then put stereoscopic player on "Side-by-Side for 3DTVs" for our active projector?

What hardware do I need on my PC, we have the Geforce 650Ti, is that enough?

Any help will be much appreciated

Elad
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    First, how is your dual gopro footage currently being stored? Separately (as 2x MP4 streams)? Upconverted & combined to S3D Cineform (using their GoPro/Cineform studio software)? Or something else?
    Next, Do you have a license for SP? Otherwise, it won't give you more than ~5min. playback.
    Next, Your projector is an Active (LC Shutter) projector, which takes the 2view signal and splits & alternates it at double framerate (giving a standard per-eye framerate overall). This needs powered glasses. Do you have the Panasonic-supplied 3D transmitter & eyewear?
    Next, Your projector reads 3D via HDMI 1.4a methods (FP,SbS,T/B) or by other transmission methods (usu. as SbS or T/B). Note that FramePacking (as is transmitted by BD3Ds) is the only layout that actually supplies FullHD3D (both eyes), but of course there are restrictions to Fps vs. Resolution there. What is the current format of your GoPro files (use MediaInfo advanced/detailed text readout)?
    Next, do you intend to share these files with others? What formats are they able to use?
    Next, how much satisfaction do you have with using WMV containers & codecs?

The answer to these questions will get you much closer to your goal.
    It's not clear if your projector supports 3DVision mode or not (whereupon the card sends a double-framerate alternating stream and the projector passes it straight through without reprocessing). The 650Ti is good enough, can't say about the PC itself...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks heaps Scott,

My files are two separate MP4, I do have a licensed SP.
    Yes the projector is active and we do have the Panasonic active glasses. As far as I know the projector reads 3D over the HDMI, we plug a BD player to the HDMI port and it work, it also selected the 3D automatically.
    The current mp4 format is h.264 25fps 12.90Mbit/s, each eye.

We don't intend to share it, it's a movie we made for a 4D cinema (3D+movement+effects) here in New Zealand. so far we played HSBS but I want to find a way to increases the quality to FullHD3D.

Not sure what you mean by WMV satisfaction, we limited to use SP as the 4D system using SP as it player. I thought that is the only was to achieve fullHD3D, but is it?

I don't think the AE8000 supports 3DVision, does that mean we can't get fullHD3D on it from the 650Ti?

Thanks again
    Elad
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK, so you KNOW 3DBD framepacking works correctly.

Now, you need to massage your current footage into something that works with it. It can be done in a couple of ways...

First, you could retain your per-eye resolution of 1920x1080 and adjust the framerate to 24FPS and create a 3DBD (using Vegas, Cyberlink PD, or AVISynth+FRIM+multiAVCHD) and play with software or hardware 3DBD players. The conversion to 24FPS could either be by slowing down existing 25FPS footage (and consequently re-adjusting the audio to maintain synch), which would retain sharpness and normal motion, or by interpolating (blending) which would add some motion artifacting but not require a re-synch.

.....I was under the mistaken presumption that SP already could present HDMI 1.4 Frame-packed layout, but it seems that they don't (only HSbS or HTaB). So that nixes my other best ideas.

Checked BINO and POTPLAYER, neither of those can do FramePacked either (I'll have to submit requests to all three to rectify this).

You could try seeing if a different output might negotiate it automatically (such as the Quad-buffered ones, etc.), but the file would have to be prepped to appear as a 1920x1080@24FPS x2 file (since FP layout only works with that framerate for 1080). Alternately, you could do a frame double to 50FPS progressive, but you'd have to resize down to 1280x720.

Or skip the FP idea altogether and just use HSbS or HTaB, since those are explicitly supported by both SP and HDMI and your projector. The rez & framerate restrictions may still apply, however, due to the limited choices in your projector.

On the file-input side of SP, I have a better suggestion than WMV (even though that isn't a BAD idea): Since the WMV format is a Dual-stream layout (which I originally suggested to Peter Wimmer way back), it is easily and intrinsically supported without requiring a special layout modification. Even better are some of the other Dual-stream formats, because they could be used without resorting to re-encoding, which would be necessary for the WMV. Both AVI and MKV and MP4 can be dual-stream (though I haven't tested the MP4 implementation in a while). Thus you could remux your GoPro footage directly into a dual-stream AVC MP4 file (without re-encoding) and it should auto recognize it and then all you need would be to choose which "3DTV" layout to use (not a whole lot of difference for Active displays).

HTH,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
  28. Thanks Scott, you the first person I could communicate about this problem and I feel like I'm getting somewhere and not just searching google for hours and hour and getting nowhere.

At the moment the BD is not an option, the program that run the 4D simulator cinema uses SP only. I want to see if it possible to send the fullHD3D out of SP. if that's not possible I will look at asking for re-writing of the sim program.

I wrote few times to Stereoscopic Player 3dtv.at support but never got any reply, are you sure SP doesn't play FullHD3D? so when you put dual stream file or use the "left and right file" the player then half the clips and push them out? is that right?

hopefull there is a way to send FullHD3D out of SP, if yes, do you know how to make AVI, MKV or MP4 dual-stream? I can't seems to find anything on google

Thanks again
    Elad
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Actually, the BD option was a long shot.

I've communicated with Peter Wimmer a couple of times, so hopefully I can get a response back from him (but I doubt it would be in a reasonable time frame).

In the meantime, re_your question: However you provide SP with 2 images (Dual file, dual-muxed streams, or consolidated layout), it should first recognize & interpret the file correctly, then separate (if necessary) and appoint each viewpoint to its separate memory space, then it will use those to reformat to the chosen output method. So, yes, you are basically right.

AFA making dual-stream files, I've done a lot of testing (a few years back) and would consider myself to be somewhat of an expert in this area (since most stereo enthusiast professionals seem to be focusing more on MVC, MVD and further new codec enhancements).

To make AVI, you should use AVIMux-GUI (or the old and hard to find AVI Mux, a completely different app). With AVIMux-GUI, there is a trick to adding the 2nd stream: act like you're adding an audio stream and then just change the extension filter.

To make MPG, you should use Manzanita, Imago, TMPGEnc or some other general-purpose MPEG muxer. This was much more straightforward, IIRC.

To make MOV (and subsequently MP4), you can do it with Quicktime Pro(7). Probably other apps as well, that's just all I remember trying it on. You just use Add Stream so you have 2 layers (only one of which is normally visible with standard QT player, unless you apply some resize). After saving as MOV, you should be able to re-open and save as MP4...but NO, that probably wouldn't pass through correctly...I'll have to check and that and get back to you. (Maybe it was MP4Box & YAMB!)

To make MKV, you would likely use MKVToolnix or similar MKV muxer. You should set the stereo flag to be dual-stream, and it would probably make sense after finishing to rename the extension to .MK3D (as that is what is supposed to be the accepted extension).

For all of these, you should also be able to use ffmpeg as well. It has the capability.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  30. Thanks Scott

Just to confirm that I got it right, no matter what input gets into SP, it alway going to output as half resolution ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote