VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i am a long time user of Burn 2.5.1 (24) & other video con/burn programs on the Imac (2 Ghz Snow Leopard).I was converting wmv, avi, mpeg, DivX, etc to DVD format then burning for years. the problem is that all of a sudden Burn attempts to convert files, but the status bar rushes thru each file, then displays 'Burn unable to convert following files', & lists all of them. DVD Creator tries then Abends. SmallDVD justs runs. ands runs. as far as I know, no recent changes to software, other than normal Software Update's by Apple. any ideas? Thanks, Mike...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You need Mac specific help. I'll ask a moderator to move this to our Mac forum for you.

99% of the time around here, if you're doing ANYTHING on a Mac and need help, you need to post it in the Mac forum or all you will get is a bunch of useless Windows specific replies.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Moved to the MAC forum. And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Converting wmv requires Flip4Mac Pro (or you'll get a watermark). If wmv is important (as a source) then Wondershare Ultimate Video Converter works very well. MPEG Streamclip also works well (if wmv isn't required) and is free. For DVDs, convert to DV-Stream (or another minimally compressed format) and drop into iDVD.

Don't forget to verify that Perian is installed. Even though it's no longer being updated, consider it an essential.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Updated Perian,no good. have Flip4Mac. Tried Wondershare, it Abends, also converted with Wondershare to other types, but doesn't matter. what about a program called something like Oog Vorbis? i seem to remember that a strange sounding program is needed. maybe it got deleted?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by movermike View Post
    Updated Perian,no good. have Flip4Mac. Tried Wondershare, it Abends, also converted with Wondershare to other types, but doesn't matter. what about a program called something like Oog Vorbis? i seem to remember that a strange sounding program is needed. maybe it got deleted?
    "Abends"? Don't know what this means. Please advise.

You might also just try creating a new Administrative user account on your Mac, logging in as that user and trying the process again. If it works, then there may be something in your old user account that is causing the problem. Often it is just easier to move your data over to the new user account and delete the old one rather than tear your hair out trying to troubleshoot things.

Apple might have changed things with QuickTime, as well, so some of the features that Burn used may no longer be reliable. What about Burnz? Toast? iDVD?
    Quote Quote  
  7. try my app .. download demo here - http://www.mpeg2works.com - , try it out and let me know if you run onto troubles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    "Abends"? Don't know what this means. Please advise.
    I'm pretty sure he means aborts.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, Abend is mainframe speak for ABnormal ENDing. created new Admin acct, ran Burn, still zipped thru loaded files at lightspeed, and delivered the Msg: 'Burn unable to convert the following files:' downloaded Burnz, but it seems program is for Data & MP3, not Video format. iDvd did not come with my system, and it looks like a pain to procure it. DVDConvertor, which i've been calling Wondershare for some reason, still cancels (Abends!) after taking 4 times as long as usual to load files to be converted. i get a beachball for 3 or more min when i select files to be converted. this used to take an instant.. the video converter programs were running fine for years, and just stopped. it has to be a system wide problem, obviously, and i was wondering it the fact that i'm still using Snow Leopard instead of Mountain Lion would do it? i dont think so, but?...Thanks, Mike...
    Last edited by movermike; 7th Jun 2013 at 04:47. Reason: addition of Burnz procurement. change to Wondershare.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thats it? No one else on this Video Expert board has any ideas? what, not a sexy enough problem? He's just a Newbie? Elite's Rule,huh?

Thanks!

Mike...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok, So the files play fine in Quicktime.
    Burn used to work fine, no updated version, or new version there.
    New admin account did not fix it, so it's not the preference file.
    Maybe the temporary file where burn does it's work is not available? like the temp space where it does the conversions is no longer working?
    Try repairing permissions? But you say DVD Creator also fails with these files., so it's probably not permissions, but it does not hurt...

I suggest taking Quicktime and converting the files to .DV format, or something uncompressed. Then try using Burn again. Maybe it's just having problems with these specific files.. If both apps are having problems with these files, it usually means that there's something off with the files..

If you can't convert them to a .DV or uncompressed format, then something is up with the files..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why don't you post a short clip of the file as is, so that others can inspect it?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the replies...it's not the files, i also tried old original files that have been converted, and they won't process,either.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by movermike View Post
    no recent changes to software, other than normal Software Update's by Apple.
    Apple is notoriously bad at backward compatibility. The first thing I would check is your current version of quicktime compared to the version required by Burn and other apps. iTunes, for example, tries to automatically "update" quicktime whether you want to or not.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Quicktime player is the only QT app on my iMac. it's 10.0. Burn and other conversion pgms don't, to my limited knowledge, require a particular version of it.
    Quote Quote