VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I have connected a Samsung SE-208DB External USB 2.0 rewriter to my MSI U130 Notebook. This is a external rewriter that you plug in and it's ready to go strait away.

First time i connected drive to notebook the drive icon showed in My Computer and it installed on taskbar, even though i don't see it.

It started to read the system restore disc i had in it, but the little blue circle appeared, so i turned the notebook off/on.

Since using the off/on method i don't get the drive icon showing in My Computer. The drive still makes the noises like it's trying to install disc and the light flashes on rewriter.

It seems Windows 7 is not recognizing the external dvd drive

Can someone please advise how to fix problem?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    1: Enter safe mode (generally hit f8 during system boot)
    2: Go to device manager > universal serial bus controllers
    3: Delete all devices in this list (last to first)

If system stops responding during the above simply reboot into normal mode where system will reinstall missing devices once more ... reboot after.

Now repeat 2 and watch this area carefully as you reconnect the drive ... if it dose not appear then there's two likely answers.

A: Usb port has been overloaded and reset by system ... in which case only certain devices will work, some wont.

B: Because the device wasn't allowed to finish the task before power was removed the optical components have failed.

A could do with further testing but as for B ... Take it to a friend that has a desktop and ask them if they wouldn't mind testing it.

Generally optical drives while reading if an operational error appear should be allowed to quit operation before power is removed or risk damage to the optical components. Some models are very sensitive.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Bjs, no luck.

Drive works great on Pc.

DVD drive don't show on the device manager list.
    Last edited by Teac23; 31st May 2013 at 11:30.
    Quote Quote