VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible to capture live streams off twitch.tv ? A bit of Googling hasn't turned up anything which surprises me.

Perhaps a standalone program, maybe even a Firefox addon?

I ask as sometimes there are live streams which aren't saved which I'd like to watch, but as they are on at a time when I can't watch them (I'm working, sleeping, etc) I'd like to capture them and watch later.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Replay Video Capture isn't free, but I'm sure it could capture the streams without any problem.

If Twitch uses RTMP there are free tools that might be of use to you, but as I have never attempted to use such tools and know nothing about them, you'll either have to do your own research or wait for others to tell you how to use them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, appreciate the link and advice.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I tried two commercial programs - HiDownload Platinum and TubeDigger. Both saw the url of the vid of the stream on the homepage . Both captured 0 bytes.

Normally, if one of these fails then the other succeeds. Replay AFAIK will refuse to capture 'protected' streams. I tried a trial of that whereas TD did succeed.
    Last edited by DB83; 31st May 2013 at 09:00. Reason: progream name typo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DESKTOP LIVE STREAMER

Its make use VLC to play, VLC have RECORD feature from streams

I record all stream from twitch.tv every saturday to watch in monday...100% flawless.

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 31st May 2013 at 09:16.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Normally, if one of these fails then the other succeeds. Replay AFAIK will refuse to capture 'protected' streams. I tried a trial of that whereas TD did succeed.
    Huh? I've used it to capture Hulu streams and as far as I know, nothing on Hulu is unprotected. I can't prove you're wrong though. Replay's website stresses that the product can record ANY (upper case theirs) stream that can play on your PC and lists no limitations.

Replay makes multiple products. Perhaps you are confusing Replay Video Capture with Replay Media Catcher which apparently did not understand some of the stream protection methods and more accurately was not able to capture such streams rather than explicitly refused to do so.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Anyway, Cauptain's suggestion is free and worth trying.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jman98

You are probably correct. Replay make a lot of different proggys so it is quite easy to confuse them. One I do also use is WmVideoCapture but that is a screen capture program which they reccomended to use when one could not do a stream capture.

I have not checked their site for a long time - since I have this other stuff then I have no need to - but then they were talking about Adobe protected streams.

But Cauptain's suggestion has really upset me.
    Quote Quote