VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

Looking for a way to rip subtitles from a TV serie i have in DVD format, for DVD movies i have used SubRip with good result but with TV series there can be several different episodes in one VOB file, how should i do to extract a single episode subtitle from this VOB?

Is this possible to do with SubRip or do i need a another software?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Use vsrip to convert to sub/idx from the dvd and then convert to srt. Or maybe try subextractor.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I tried subextractor but i don`t understand what i`m supposed to do with the BIN file (Subtitle data file) created by subextractor? How do i make the BIN becoming a .srt file?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    DIdn't it make any srt file??
    Quote Quote  
  5. No, only a BIN file was created.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You could use DVD Decrypter to isolate the episode and then use Subtitle Edit (SE) to perform the OCR (File -> Import IFO/VOBSUB)

It looks like you are Swedish so SE comes with a Tesseract/Dictionary files for Swedish (I think).

Otherwise you would want to install those and please not that if you use a Windows installer version of SE you need to place them here:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Subtitle Edit\Dictionaries (Tesseract/tessdata)
    Quote Quote  
  7. videobruger:

I did actually use DVD Decrypter to rip the movie files onto my harddrive but i can`t see a way to isolate a single episode, on the disc i`m working with there are a total of 4 episodes but as you can see in the screen there are 8 main moviefiles (VOBs) in DVD Decrypter so i`m not sure how to isolate a single episode?

Click image for larger version

Name:	dvddecrypter.JPG
Views:	830
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	18092
    Quote Quote  
  8. First of. Your 4 episodes are not in one VOB but all in a titleset (VTS)

Use Mode -> Ifo and see how many PGS you got and their playtime.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thank you videobruger, i did what you suggested and managed to isolate a single episode in DVD Decrypter.

I also downloaded and tried Subtitle Edit but it didn`t work with the Swedish tesseract file, i tried placing the file in the direction you told me but when i start the OCR i can still only see the English language and no Swedish..

I then placed the Swedish tesseract file here: C:\Program Files\Tesseract OCR\tessdata like it was suggested on their website but it still doesn`t show up as you can see in the screen, any idea what i`m doing wrong?

Name:	subtitleedit3.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	18111Click image for larger version

Name:	subtitleedit2.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	18112Click image for larger version

Name:	subtitleedit1.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	18113
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Try changing the permissions of the Swedish file. I've seen Windows default to what in Unix/Linux would be 000 permissions on files under some circumstances. I have Cygwin installed on all my PCs so I can use sensible Unix tools to change permissions under Windows. Look up how to change the permissions through the Windows GUI and that might fix your problem.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Sorry for not being precise.

You need to place the dictionary in:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Subtitle Edit\Dictionaries

And your swe.traineedata in:

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Subtitle Edit\Tesseract\tessdata

(You have placed it here:
    C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Subtitle Edit\Dictionaries)

The swedish dictionary you'll find here

http://extensions.openoffice.org/project/aoo-dict-sv
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yes, after placing them in the directions you pointed out it now works with the swedish tesseract/dictionaries files, a very handy tool i must say!

But, it looks like i`m still doing something wrong because after OCR is finished and trying the .srt file together with the moviefile (mkv) the subtitles does not match with the video, as you can see in the screens below the last spoken line is at 00:48:48 whereas the last spoken line in the .srt file is at 00:46:45

Also, if you look at the length of the episode there is a disparity between the moviefile and the srt file, 00:49:42 vs 00:47:37

Any idea why it`s like this?

Name:	text1.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	18143Click image for larger version

Name:	shield1.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	18144
    Last edited by rocknrolla115; 1st Jun 2013 at 10:05.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Possibly something to do with framerates. In Subrip which is the subtitle program I used to use, I had to select the framerate of the destination video so that it could calculate the timing correctly. A frame rate of 25fps vs 23.976fps could account for your 125 second difference. Check the settings to see if there is an option to change frame rates.
    Last edited by ronmaz; 2nd Jun 2013 at 02:12.
    Quote Quote  
  14. @rocknrolla115

How did you get from a VIDEO_TS folder created by DVD Decypter to a MKV file?

If you need to synchronize your subtitles (which shouldn't be the case) in SE you can use:

Synchronization -> Visual sync ...

You may consider using:

Options -> Settings -> Video Player -> (Select VLC)

as DirectShow (default) will chrash in case of missing codecs
    Quote Quote