VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've captured some tv programmes to mp4 files and they work great in windows media player. I'm using AVS Video Editor (paid for it) to remove the tv ad's from the files before inserting a dvd menu and burning it out to disc in dvd format, gives me .vob files on the disc after the burn. Again works fine in the dvd player and the PS3 however I do notice a slight loss of picture quality and some slight or occassional jerking in the picture when played back. AVS is set to its highest burn quality and I'm wondering if anyone can help with this. I'm using windows vista in case it helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you planned on putting your captures to DVD then you should have captured MPEG2. DVD is MPEG2.
    Quote Quote  
  3. OK I can capture in both .TS and .M2TS using the software that came with the hauppauge PVR. It's the Arcsoft capture software V3.1 I'm not sure it's that good but it definately seems to capture without picture or sound quality loss. Am I better to use different capture software for more recording formats or is the Arcsoft stuff fine ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    TS files (or Transport Streams) are normally associated with MPEG2 video so that SHOULD be the one you are looking for. There may also be bitrate settings or old-fashioned SP, LP, SLP type "time duration" settings like VCRs used to have....you should be using SP.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes there are bitrate settings it's a slidable bar with a numerical scale showing mbits per second from 1 to 13. The software documentation said the minimum setting for HD capture was 5 and the default setting is 8. As I'm capturing standard video I've left it on 8 although it bloats a 1 hour recording to around 3.4 GB, mind you space is not really a consideration. Would I be on the right track using the default for standard video ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    8 is about maximum for DVD.....especially if you have LPCM audio as an option. LPCM audio is the best you can achieve....equivalent to .wav (WAVE) files taken from an audio CD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't know if those "quality" numbers equate to bitrate, but if they do (or are close), you would want your DVD's video to have ~8 to 9Mbps, with the remainder reserved for the audio (usually in high-bitrate AC3 compression). If your capping software cannot do AC3 or MP2 audio compression, and can only to LPCM-type audio, you'll have to drop the quality level of the video a little more to enable everything to fit.

The MTS/M2TS container will have to be demuxed into elementary Video & Audio streams (and possibly re-muxed into MPG2 Program Streams) to be usable as assets when authoring to DVD, as many authoring apps will not accept Transport Streams directly, even if the video & audio contained within are totally within spec. But since your AVS accepts your source files and will output MPEG2 PS files, or even DVD VOBs, you should be able to do the conversion directly there. Unless it is actually re-encoding, in which case, you might be better served for quality by converting using a CLI tool like HCEnc. The authoring (and burning) won't affect the quality at all, just the encoding (or re-encoding).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The Hauppauge HD PVR only outputs H.264, so with that device he will have to re-encode.
    Quote Quote  
  9. OK thanks for the advice guys as you can see I'm very new to this. So the Arcsoft capture software does capture the sound in AC3 and the AVS Video Editior software does read .TS and .M2TS files so can author directly from these so I assume I won't have to demux the files.

I see your saying as I'm encoding in H.264 with the Hauppauge HD PVR I'll need to re-encode the files. Can some one explain that please am I re-encoding the .TS files before editing or am I re-encoding after authoring out into .VOB and which software will I need to do this ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Because h.264 (aka MPEG4, Part 10) is a different video codec than the required MPEG2 used in DVD-Video. You must re-encode prior to, or during, authoring. Lots of links here for apps that can convert h.264 to MPEG2. Just make sure the output is DVD-Video-compliant (best to use a preset template).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps AVStoDVD using HCenc? And for some fine tuning, possibly even an alternate matrix? ( I find the default mpeg matrix
    to be a little soft)
    Quote Quote  
  12. OK I see now many thanks for the information guys. If I use AVStoDVD using HCenc (bolt on module/app or inbuild protocol I'm assuming?) could you tell me which other matrix (again bolt on module/app or inbuilt protocol I assume?) you'd use with this software for best quality ?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by eibbed View Post
    OK I see now many thanks for the information guys. If I use AVStoDVD using HCenc (bolt on module/app or inbuild protocol I'm assuming?) could you tell me which other matrix (again bolt on module/app or inbuilt protocol I assume?) you'd use with this software for best quality ?
    While I agree with davexnet myself and never use any default quantization matrices, at this stage I think you should concentrate on just getting a decent-looking DVD out of your capture. Later on after you actually know what you're doing, then you can start fooling around and trying different options. The choice of matrix depends at least partly on the compressibility of your material and at this stage you don't know a whole lot about how to determine that or what to do with that information even if you were able to figure it out..

Just use AVS2DVD with mostly default settings.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eibbed View Post
    OK I see now many thanks for the information guys. If I use AVStoDVD using HCenc (bolt on module/app or inbuild protocol I'm assuming?) could you tell me which other matrix (again bolt on module/app or inbuilt protocol I assume?) you'd use with this software for best quality ?
    Sure, although perceived quality is somewhat subjective. Different results may be desired for different sources,
    such as maintaining the "grain" of the picture, or making it seem sharper. Hcenc is a freeware encoder packaged with
    AVStoDVD. The matrix it uses is identified to HCenc in the ini file. For practice purposes and to get a feel for the program
    you can use HCenc itself directly with the included GUI.

If you plan on creating DVD spec mpeg-2, this program can produce great results.
    Quote Quote  
  15. I've downloaded AVStoDVD V2.6.0 and just installed it. I'll work through it to get a feel for it but it looks great. I do appreciate all the help as you can understand not knowing which questions to ask is half the battle. The .TS files I'm dropping onto DVD are captures from the History channel from my Sky + box and I'm taking the feed after it's been passed through the amp. Any further thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Quote