VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi everyone!
    Although I had everything working alright with ffmpegx and snow leopard, I find myself in troubles again
    Since I have upgraded to Lion and ffmpegx 0.0.9.Y-L r2, I lost my preferences and now I can't find the way to encode greek subs properly.
    I do use ISO8859-7 and SHeiti. I have tried several video codecs (apart from mencoder) but I cant find the right fit...
    Should I use the older binaries? and with which video codec? Thanks for your help in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    1/ To “burn” subtitles into AVI or MP4 with ffmpegX, you need to use the mencoder conversion engine.
    2/ The recommended mencoder binary for the current ffmpegX has a bug that disregards certain subtitle settings on encoding (but not on the preview), such as selected font, font size and subtitle position.
    By reverting to an older mencoder binary (ffmpegXbinaries230105.zip from ffmpegX 0.0.9s I think) you could get the full subtitle features again. If you do, ffmpegX will warn you about the old binary, but you may continue anyway.
    3/ By installing “Arial Unicode” as a subtitle font for ffmpegX in place of Arial, you can have almost every glyph available without the need for selecting a special font for glyph support for non-default text encodings, such as greek (ISO 8859-7/Windows-1253/UTF-8).
    Quote Quote  
  3. hi case and thank you so much for your advice! I have read all your posts about subs and they are so helpful!
    Unfortunately, this time I had no luck
    I did place Arial Unicode Ms ttf to spumux folder and I did use the older binaries (2005). The ffmpegx progress finishes in a second and it does nothing at all... I cant understand what I am doing wrong. Subs and avi have the same name and they are in the same folder. I did use mencoder (mpeg4 .avi mencoder) and I chose Arial (meaning arial unicode as you told me) and iso 8859-7 or 8859-1. I also tried mpeg2enc.intel 2013 and 2006 as well as mpeg2enc 2003 (just in case). It didnt make any difference...
    Any other ideas?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The older mencoder is build on PPC code, not Intel code. Therefore this binary won't work on Lion/Mountain Lion.
    Code:
    Bad CPU type in executable
    I'll have a look what can be done later today.
    Quote Quote  
  5. thanks again Case! It seems you have to be a computer scientist to use this program
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It seems user hughanderson found a solution to the subtitling woes:
    /threads/357505-SRT-font-size-adjustable-in-preview-but-fixed-in-encoding
    Quote Quote