VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When I convert camcorder DV AVIs to MP4 using AviDemux, I'm getting really bad camera shake jerkiness. The output looks erratic and unpleasant to watch compared to the source AVI when watched on a TV.

BTW, the problem is just as bad whether I deinterlace or not (using Yadif).

Thanks for any tips!
    Chris
    Last edited by Christopher B; 26th May 2013 at 14:53.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Did you select yadif order=0, mode=1 ? This "bob deinterlaces" to double framerate 59.94p instead of 29.97p

mode=0 => single rate
    mode=1 => double rate
    Quote Quote  
  3. Upload short samples that show the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I set Yadif to Spatial and Temporal (no bob) and BFF. So the content went from 60 fields to 30 progressive frames per sec, which naturally could add some herky-ness. I also tried it interlaced, but it looked practically identical, and I thought I was careful to maintain the interlace properly (nothing moved backwards, etc, and the x264 encoder was set to interlaced BFF for that experiment).

I'll probably have time to upload clips tomorrow. The thing is, the problem is worst when I play them back on a TV uploaded to my TiVo box. Subtle on the PC. I was just looking for pointers on x264 settings. I wouldn't consider this a 'problem' to 'troubleshoot.'

I'm wondering if this issue with processed DV is at all related to my similar issue with processed HDV. My HD home movies when converted to MP4 also can get herky-jerky, and the entire frame will stay frozen between fields even though the camera is panning, and so a kid's arm will be the ONLY motion on the whole screen when stepping single-frame--as if the arm is an animation overlaid on a still background image. I'd prefer less efficient encoding and more analog behavior.

But in the HDV case, it's not even noticeable at full speed on a TV, unless paused and single-stepping. The problem with DV video is hard on the brain at normal playback, not just a peculiarity.

I really appreciate the replies!

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Christopher B View Post
    I was just looking for pointers on x264 settings.
    Other than the field order setting, which you've already accounted for, there aren't any x264 settings that would cause a video to get shaky.

Originally Posted by Christopher B View Post
    My HD home movies when converted to MP4 also can get herky-jerky, and the entire frame will stay frozen between fields even though the camera is panning, and so a kid's arm will be the ONLY motion on the whole screen when stepping single-frame--as if the arm is an animation overlaid on a still background image.
    That sounds more like an error decoding the source. Or maybe you're using settings too CPU intensive for realtime playback on whatever device you're using (not all devices support all h.264 features).

Just as a reference, the video in the following link shows the difference between 60p and 30p (and 24p) on a 60 Hz display:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/307004-Best-framerate-conversion-%28eg-23-97-to-30-...=1#post1888926

It's an Xvid AVI but the issue is the same no matter what codec is used.
    Quote Quote