VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok so I was trying to backup a DVD to take on a trip with me and I just bought this computer it is a HP Pavilion G6 with a DVDRAM-GT50N DVD drive but when I go to rip the disc the max it rips at is 2.4x I have played with settings in the programs I was using and still the max it will rip is 2.4x. I believe I may be rip locked. Just wondering if anyone knows where I could get the firmware to flash my drive to unlock it.

I have searched for firmware but to no avail. and I have the latest firmware for the DVD drive I was just looking to find a download for the firmware so I can patch it to up its speed.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What do you rip with? DVDfab, anydvd,etc?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Anydvd, clonedvd, dvd decrypter, dvd shrink, img burn, dvdfab and I've played with settings and in imgburn I did the check for firmware updates for the drive but it was unable to locate any for mine.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Try http://www.rpc1.org but be warned that they don't have firmware for everything. There is always a chance that there is no special firmware for your drive. I'm too lazy to check on your drive at that website, so please don't be a lazy sod and make me deeply regret trying to help you by refusing to spend a couple of minutes yourself looking.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    about right. it's a slimline drive with both read and write max at 3x.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  6. I found the max read rate like two minutes ago and I have checked the website before and had no luck so no worries i've been to it and browsed. so my next ? would be how hard is it to replace the dvd drive with a better one
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the drive is easy enough to remove and replace. the hard part is the faceplate never matches. and the max read/write even on new ones is 8x.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think I am either going to just buy an external one that rips decent or just use my desktop and transfer the files over to my laptop since my desktop using dvdshrink does most movies in about five minutes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Desktops work
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. yea i must have jinxed myself moved over to the desktop and now that is taking forever starting to think it just might be the disc have yet to try another one but I'm thinking its the disc causing the issue.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVDShrink is not recommended for ripping. It hasn't been updated in years and doesn't understand the new bad sector copy protection methods that Sony, Disney and other studios use. It is possible that your DVD is taking a long time because it is using this type of copy protection. "Possible" means "possible" and it does not mean "100% for sure this is your problem".

The only completely reliable rippers any more are DVDFab and AnyDVD. Neither is free, although some non-users here still report that DVDFab is, but they haven't personally installed it in years and seem to not know that DVDFab has stopped putting out free versions of their software. You can try DVDFab before you buy and I think you can also try AnyDVD before you buy.
    Quote Quote  
  12. well I have anydvd which removes the protection so when dvdshrink does its thing under the protection part it says not encrypted

also a few days ago I did one on my desktop and it did it in 4min and 33secs so my drive is moody
    Quote Quote  
  13. also under device manager for my desktop pc I have no IDE Controller section but my drive works to play discs and such. Just something i noticed when I was going to check about DMA
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    DVDShrink is not recommended for ripping. It hasn't been updated in years and doesn't understand the new bad sector copy protection methods that Sony, Disney and other studios use. It is possible that your DVD is taking a long time because it is using this type of copy protection. "Possible" means "possible" and it does not mean "100% for sure this is your problem".

The only completely reliable rippers any more are DVDFab and AnyDVD. Neither is free, although some non-users here still report that DVDFab is, but they haven't personally installed it in years and seem to not know that DVDFab has stopped putting out free versions of their software. You can try DVDFab before you buy and I think you can also try AnyDVD before you buy.
    ? Got proof ?
    Originally Posted by http://www.dvdfab.com/en/hd_decrypter.htm?vid=avangate&aid=675
    DVDFab HD Decrypter is a cost-free and simplified version of DVDFab DVD Copy and DVDFab Blu-ray Copy which can remove almost all DVD protections except for the latest ones, part of Blu-ray protections, and copy the DVD/Blu-ray to blank disc or to the hard drive on your computer, but only in “Full Disc” or “Main Movie” mode. It is one of the always free portions of DVDFab. After the trial period or the license of DVDFab has been expired, users can use HD Decrypter for free. It can work under no-internet-connection environment, and needs ImgBurn or Nero Burning Room installed for DVD/Blu-ray copy or backup.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Well I discovered why my desktop was slow with one movie and not others, it was quite simple to simple that I overlooked it. Some of the discs were DL and others were not hence the difference in my ripping speeds. But thanks for all of the advice.
    Quote Quote