VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi I'm searching, reading, testing, but I can't find a solution. I hope you can help me.

What I want is to re-encode videos with ranges (so I want to cut and reencode them). Example:

Input: video.avi
    Output video.mkv

But I don't just want to convert the complete video - I want to reencode only specific time or frame ranges in one output video. Example:

(h:m:s) - 00:00:10 to 00:00:30 AND 00:01:00 to 00:02:00 AND 00:05:00 to 00:10:00

Alle the ranges (or cuts) in one step in one output file. I tried it with ffmpeg but it seems it only can handle one time range, not several ones. I could encode with the above example three videos and then merge them together, but it seems that would mean I have to encode 3 mpgs and after that reencode all of them to one mkv. This is quite slow and a lot of encoding.

Is there a way to encode multiple time/frame ranges with ffmpeg or another command line encoder in only one encoding step? How would you cut a video and what command line tool would you use?
    Quote Quote  
  2. mencoder should be able to do this using an edl list (http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/edl.html).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks! I tried it but mencoder is slow and it seems to have problems with mkv.

But it seems I found a solution, with vdub external encoders I can do what I want.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I tried it but mencoder is slow and it seems to have problems with mkv.
    works fine here, probably a configuration question, but since you found a working solution it's probably not worth investigation the mencoder road further.
    Quote Quote