VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I was wondering is it possible to change the font colour - from white to yellow - in an SRT file? If not would it be possible to change them when using VLC Media Player which is what i use to view the Movie (AVI) file and SRT file.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Not in a SRT file. The color is set by the playback device, not the video file. But with VLC, and probably a fair amount of other players, you can change the displayed SRT sub color. Look in 'Subtitles & On Screen Display Settings' under 'Tools>Preferences' in VLC.

And I also prefer yellow subs over white.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, assuming you're using a relatively recent version of VLC, try experimenting with the subtitle settings in the Preferences...

If you have the "Show settings" option set to "All", look in Video (in the left-hand-pane) > Subtitles/OSD > Text renderer.

If you have "Show settings" set to "Simple", just click on Subtitles & OSD on the left side of the window to bring up the settings.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks all - im up and running. Now that i know those options exist within VLC i will experimnet around with them.

Thanks once again.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can set the srt files to be yellow instead of white using this code <font color=#fff00>example</font> for each line you want but kinda cumbersome when you have a few hundred lines.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. johnms0 was faster than I
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    You can set the srt files to be yellow instead of white using this code <font color=#fff00>example</font> for each line you want but kinda cumbersome when you have a few hundred lines.
    Just an FYI kind of thing...

This thread did ask specifically about VLC. I just want to point out that it's my experience that many hardware playing devices don't recognize <> commands at all in SRT files and display those commands as if they were words. If you use the font color command, that's fine for PC playback, but it could get really ugly if you try to use the same file while watching on something like a BluRay player. So to use johns0's example, you'd likely see
    <font color=#fff00>example</font>
    displayed on your TV as if the <font color> stuff was important text you needed to read.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    Not in a SRT file. The color is set by the playback device, not the video file. But with VLC, and probably a fair amount of other players, you can change the displayed SRT sub color. Look in 'Subtitles & On Screen Display Settings' under 'Tools>Preferences' in VLC.

And I also prefer yellow subs over white.
    What about this line in the .SRT file?

00:00:16,400 --> 00:00:21,100
    <font color=#ffff00><font color=#DFDF00>******</font></font>
    Quote Quote