VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello

I brought a brand new DVD and on the back (playing side) are these brown stain like marks. I was wondering if it was the discs label showing through. I've attached pics and circled the marks, hope you can see them.

Thanks

Phil
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dvd1.jpg
Views:	2119
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	17906  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dvd2.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	540.8 KB
ID:	17907  

Last edited by philipb82; 16th May 2013 at 08:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If it plays correctly, don't worry about it.
    You bite into a sandwich or a hamburger that a total stranger made and you worry about this?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well I haven't played it yet but if it does play fine then that's good I won't loose sleep over it

Phil
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ..and what happens two months from now when suddenly it won't play anymore? Exchange it while you can.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I've come across the term 'disc rot'. One of the signs is discoloration of the disc, which looks like a coffee stain on the disc. Could it be this even though its brand new.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

Just to add: i've just tested the disc by fast scanning through and the playback is awful. It skips, is pixelated and the picture went blurry. Its going back!

Phil
    Last edited by philipb82; 16th May 2013 at 10:22.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So I am assuming you are in the UK ?
    I recognize that 18 logo, but I am in the U.S. and have many imports with that logo so.

I have seen some dvd's where you could see some of the label side on the side that is read as it is a very thin layer separating them.
    Usually not a big deal.

But yeah, if it is pixelating & skipping during normal playback, not while just fast forwarding it, then yeah, it is probably FUBAR.

But then again you did not say WHAT you were playing it on!
    A standalone player, a software player on your pc ?

It makes a difference, a big difference!!
    A software player is a good way to check quickly media but I have seen many perfectly fine burned and retail disc's act goofy and look like crap yet have played fine for years on standalone players.

Blurry on the other hand, that is the crappy videography or filming and has nothing to do with the disc itself.

Either it works or it does not, bad media does not blur or change anything in the video, it just won't work or works badly.

And that is a bad example of "disc rot" in that photo as it is obviously a burned disc and not a retail pressed disc.
    I have seen that on burned media before where for some reason or another that area was not burned or written to.

Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    If it plays correctly, don't worry about it.
    You bite into a sandwich or a hamburger that a total stranger made and you worry about this?
    LOL!!!
    Right!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I've bought a DVD that had what I would call a water stain on the data side. It didn't play through, so I took it back to the store and got another one. I thought of checking it just as I was starting the car. Good thing I did, it had the same marks. I went back in the store and opened two more, they were all the same, so I got a refund and bought the disc somewhere else.

It looked like they had a batch of discs with a bad bond between layers.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you purchased this on Amazon then just contact the seller and they most likely would send you a replacement for free. But any other place you probably need to call them like bestbuy or target or walmart.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by philipb82 View Post
    I've come across the term 'disc rot'. One of the signs is discoloration of the disc, which looks like a coffee stain on the disc. Could it be this even though its brand new.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

Just to add: i've just tested the disc by fast scanning through and the playback is awful. It skips, is pixelated and the picture went blurry. Its going back!

Phil
    Disc rot was a CD phenomena. While Wikipedia says it could happen to DVDs, they provided no examples of such. I have two CDs that I bought used that were made in the UK and are showing signs of the related "disc bronzing" problem. The manufacturer of the 2 CDs was known to have such problems. I've made copies of the CDs to high quality CD-R media, so if the originals are unplayable at some point, I'm OK.

It's certainly possible that the disc is simply defective for some reason, as nic2k4 points out, although such things should be rare.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by philipb82 View Post
    I've come across the term 'disc rot'. One of the signs is discoloration of the disc, which looks like a coffee stain on the disc. Could it be this even though its brand new.http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_rot

Phil
    Disc rot was a CD phenomena. While Wikipedia says it could happen to DVDs, they provided no examples of such. I have two CDs that I bought used that were made in the UK and are showing signs of the related "disc bronzing" problem. The manufacturer of the 2 CDs was known to have such problems. I've made copies of the CDs to high quality CD-R media, so if the originals are unplayable at some point, I'm OK.

It's certainly possible that the disc is simply defective for some reason, as nic2k4 points out, although such things should be rare.
    Actually Disc Rot was a Laser Disc issue more than any other optical media & I have experienced disc rot of retail pressed dvd's.
    I have literally 100's of pressed cd's and I have never had a problem with cd disc rot, pressed dvd is so minuscule from my personal experience it's barely worth mentioning, LD on the other hand, very common.
    Quote Quote