VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,

This is my first post here and I have been following this forum for my video related issues. I have searched multiple places but could not find a solution. I have a problem when ripping DVD TV shows that I bought before. It is a japanese drama. I really need the subtitles because I did not understand japanese. I have been playing with Handbrake as per this guide.https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/303110-How-to-easily-convert-DVD-to-high-quality-MP...ing-free-tools. In other thread someone also suggested Xmedia Recode.

My main problem is the subtitles is not in the midline after DVD ripped using Handbrake or Xmedia Recode.

This is the video when I played directly with Windows Media Player Classic from DVD. The subtitle is in correct place.

This is what happened when I played using VLC. Not sure what happened though. The autoplay from DVD seems show the video is widen with distorted subtitles.

The main issue for me is when I ripped the DVD using Handbrake. It showed the subtitles is not aligned properly. Seems it was zoomed and placed at the bottom lower right. That is from the video file that I converted using DVDFab HDDecrypter.

It showed same problem if I use Handbrake and load directly from DVD.

This is the subtitle setting from Handbrake. It only have those 3 subtitles (VobSub) and I load them all.

I also tried using Xmedia Recode as I thought is Handbrake problem. But it seems it showed same problem using Xmedia Recode. Its a bit better compared to Handbrake.

This is the setting from Xmedia Recode for subtitles.

Now I dont know what happened there. I dont know why the ripped videos has distorted subtitles. I wanted the ripped videos showed as
    MPC. It confuses me...Is there anything that I missed? Is it the problem with subtitles or the video settings? Sorry for the long post.

Thank you very much for the help
    Quote Quote  
  2. hmm....seems like no solution for this one..

I manage to rip entire DVD to ISO (using DVD Decrypter) and mount it using Daemon tools. The subtitles does work and in correct place. But the disadvantage is the movie file will be huge. But anyway, better than nothing.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry. I saw your thread but stayed out as it baffled me.

NONE of your ripping programs are recommended, particularly Handbrake and Xmedia. I don't know how often those programs get updated. DVD Decrypter doesn't get updated at all and hasn't been updated for years. Since it came out there are now some bad sector copy protection methods that it doesn't understand. The bad sector copy protection methods are most used in North America, but they have been used in other regions to a small extent.

AnyDVD and DVDFab are the best ripping programs as they get updated regularly but they're not free. If you don't live in region 1 you can use DVD Decrypter and it will work most of the time, but when it doesn't work, you'll just have to use something else.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Is the source dvd serie only in 352x288/240 pixels? That is probably the main issue here. Most converters that burn in subs from dvd will have problems with it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try rip the dvd image subtitles to text srt with for example subextractor and then use the srt as external subtitle for mp4/mkv/avi.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    This is player problem. Look video player properties...

In MPC, "View > Options > Subtitles > Override Placement". And press "ALT + 2".

"View > Video Frame > Normal Size" and check "Keep Aspect Ratio".

And use external subtitle...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks a lot! It does work perfectly with subextractor! The subtitles is now in correct place . And yeah the source only 352x288/240 pixels

Subextractor can also rips the videso as well. Thats good. No need to do 2 jobs now.
    Quote Quote