VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. This is my first attempt at doing video capture, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. I have a VCR/DVD combo drive hooked up via coaxial (Tried with s-video and it appears to do the same) to the HVR-2250. Sound comes through choppy, and the only comes through in distorted bursts. I've attached a short clip of the capture I had. This was taken with a video camera, so I don't think it's a Macrovision issue or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

EDIT: I've hooked the same setup to a TV and it comes through just fine.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by Finkswitch; 13th May 2013 at 18:41.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Coaxial?
    Coaxial carries both video and audio......s-video carries only video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Finkswitch View Post
    This is my first attempt at doing video capture, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. I have a VCR/DVD combo drive hooked up via coaxial (Tried with s-video and it appears to do the same) to the HVR-2250. Sound comes through choppy, and the only comes through in distorted bursts. I've attached a short clip of the capture I had. This was taken with a video camera, so I don't think it's a Macrovision issue or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

EDIT: I've hooked the same setup to a TV and it comes through just fine.
    Are you using WinTV 7 to capture?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Using s-video, the video was the same as when I have it running through the coaxial cable.

I've tried a couple different softwares. The clip was made with WinTV 7, but I've also tried vdub with the same end result.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Try using a different source. One with a stable signal. VHS is notorious for unstable sync which can confuse many devices. At least try a different tape, if you haven't already.

You might want to clarify what you mean by "coax". I suspect you're talking about composite video (yellow RCA connector), not cable TV coax (RG6). If you're using the latter make sure you are tuned to the right channel on the capture card.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I've tried with s-video, it comes through the same. I am indeed talking about cable coax, not composite video. I was hoping to use that as it seems like it would be the simplest solution. I will check that it is indeed set to the right channel when I get home, though.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Composite video is probably the least complex (though you'll need to run separate audio cables). Different countries use different broadcast frequencies. But the fact that you are getting similar results from s-video and coax implies there is something else wrong. Maybe the PAL/NTSC setting in the capture device?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well, like I said, running through s-video it was giving me the same issue. I'm in North America, the VCR is North American and the recording was done here. I *believe* North America uses NTSC, but I'm going to try PAL. I hope it's something as easy as that.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Yes, North America is NTSC. Make sure the capture device is set to NTSC.
    Quote Quote  
  10. The capture device is indeed capturing NTSC, so that's not the issue. It looks almost like it's on the wrong channel, but if I swap it to DVD (it's a combo device) the picture and sound come through clear.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Finkswitch View Post
    if I swap it to DVD (it's a combo device) the picture and sound come through clear.
    You should have mentioned that sooner. Then the problem isn't related to the cabling, NTSC/PAL, channel number, etc. Either the capture device doesn't like that tape (try other tapes, especially one recorded by the device itself) or there's something wrong with the VCR section. Does the tape look ok on TV?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Tape looks fine on TV. I've tried other tapes still with the same results. Sorry, I thought I had mentioned that in the original post, but most have removed it when revising before posting.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I just tried a completely different VCR, and I'm getting more or less the same results. I took a capture of it, it's a bit clearer what the issue is here. It's still connected via the coaxial cable from the VCR into the capture card. I'm really at a loss as to what the problem could be, and I'm not really sure how to even describe it in a search to try and figure it out.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the DVD/VCR combo merely a player, or is it a DVD/VHS recorder as well?
    Quote Quote  
  15. It's merely a player. I also got a regular VCR and tried it, that's where the 2nd recording came from.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Are these tapes the original recordings or multi-generational?
    Quote Quote  
  17. The one in the posted capture is the original. Recorded with a VHS camera in the late 90s, I think.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Have you tried any tapes that were recorded on another device? What about recording made with the combo unit itself?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Yes, I've tried a couple tapes that were recorded with a VCR, and they come out about the same. I haven't tried anything with the combo unit because I don't have any blank DVDs. I have a 2nd VCR I got, in case it was the combo unit that's the issue, and it's giving me the same results on all counts.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    Can you use your combo unit to record a "new" VHS tape from cable and capture that?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by vaporeon800 View Post
    Can you use your combo unit to record a "new" VHS tape from cable and capture that?
    Yes, that's what I meant by "recording made with the combo unit itself".
    Quote Quote  
  22. Pfft... Not sure. I'll give that a shot tomorrow, if I can find a tape I can use. VHS tapes are scarce these days!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Is the DVD/VCR combo merely a player, or is it a DVD/VHS recorder as well?
    It's merely a player. I also got a regular VCR and tried it, that's where the 2nd recording came from.
    Yes, I've tried a couple tapes that were recorded with a VCR, and they come out about the same. I haven't tried anything with the combo unit because I don't have any blank DVDs. I have a 2nd VCR I got, in case it was the combo unit that's the issue, and it's giving me the same results on all counts.
    If you can record blank DVDs and blank VHS tapes with the combo unit, it is a DVD/VHS recorder. Since it isn't clear what this DVD/VCR combo is, perhaps you could post the make and model so we can find out for certain.
    Quote Quote  
  24. The combo unit cannot record onto DVDs unfortunately, as that would likely make my task a lot easier! It's a Philips DVP4150V/37.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The combo unit cannot record onto DVDs unfortunately, as that would likely make my task a lot easier! It's a Philips DVP4150V/37.
    Yes, unfortunately you were right, your combo unit does not record to DVDs. Too bad. A DVD recorder usually has circuitry that can stabilize a VHS signal for PC capture when the signal from a connected VCR (not its own VCR if its a combo) is passed through it. (You don't actually use the DVD recorder to record.)
    Quote Quote  
  26. So, any suggestions on how to get the image to come through stable? Do I need to get some additional hardware?
    Quote Quote  
  27. I would try a different capture device. Or a DVD recorder with a line TBC and frame sync (as passthrough). Or a full frame TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  28. So a different capture card? I did a little bit of looking around before I picked it up, and it seemed the HVR-2250 was a fairly solid card. Any suggestions on what to get if I do need to get some more hardware?
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So a different capture card? I did a little bit of looking around before I picked it up, and it seemed the HVR-2250 was a fairly solid card. Any suggestions on what to get if I do need to get some more hardware?
    If you want a capture device with the ability to do hardware MPEG-2 encoding, the HVR-2250 is one of very few still made. I have one but I have not tried it for capturing VHS tapes. I use mine for recording TV.

Some people get good results with the Hauppauge USB Live 2 or the KWorld DVD Maker USB 2.0 VS-USB2800 (with third-party software), but if the VHS signal is really bad they won't well either without additional equipment to correct the signal. ...and they rely on software for encoding, which can be good a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want to do, and how capable your PC is.

This is a popular DVD recorder to use as a pass-through: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DMR-ES15-DVD-Recorder-/171040902277?pt=DVD_Players_R...item27d2d50c85

Thrift shops and pawnbrokers sometimes have used DVD recorders for sale, and you may get a better price there than on ebay.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Well, what I'm looking for is something to transfer recorded VHS tapes to digital format. Any idea what might work better than this card? I've spoken to every pawn shop in town (I live in a relatively small city) and they don't have anything, so it'll be hunting it online.
    Quote Quote