VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello.

I've just registered this forum, as the content has helped me several times before, but now I had a question to which I couldn't find answers, therefore, here I am...

I have recently started using mkv files stored on my external USB hard disk with which I watch the files on my TV through my Sony BD player...
    I started using MMG (mkvmergeGUI) to add subtitles...

What I was wondering is:

Is it possible to add 2 subtitles to an MKV file and change between them on a standalone player?
    I was aiming to add subtitles of 2 different languages...

I will be trying this soon, but I figured that someone might have already, and wouldn't mind sharing the result/experience...

Thanks in advance.
    Regards.

EDIT:

I've just tried adding 2 subs to the mkv and muxing it again, but my Sony BD player just gives the option of turning on and off the subtitles.
    What might I have done wrong? Or most likely I missed something, as I'm quite new to MMG...
    Hope someone can help, perhaps with some instructions (if it is possible at all to have 2 subs)...

Thanks.
    Last edited by maps; 11th May 2013 at 05:28. Reason: added [SOLVED] to thread title, although I'm unsure if I should...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's just that hardware MKV players, such as Blu-Ray players, usually do not support everything that an MKV can contain - including multiple subtitle streams. I don't think there's a hardware player (other than a computer, that is) that supports more than one subtitle stream in any given video file, but I could be wrong.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Ai Haibara View Post
    It's just that hardware MKV players, such as Blu-Ray players, usually do not support everything that an MKV can contain - including multiple subtitle streams. I don't think there's a hardware player (other than a computer, that is) that supports more than one subtitle stream in any given video file, but I could be wrong.

Thanks Ai Haibara.

I was started to get the suspicion that the BD player was the issue.

Can anyone confirm that I will not be able to add 2 subtitles to an mkv and switch between them on a Sony BD player (hardware/standalone)?!

Regards.

EDIT:

I was able to get it to work.

What I had to do was set both subtitle tracks to 'Forced' when muxing, and then I was able to switch between them on my Sony 3D BD player from my USB hard disk.

Perhaps this information might help someone else in the future.
    Last edited by maps; 11th May 2013 at 05:06. Reason: Solved the issue!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just wanted to say thanks for this thread! I only wanted to add subs in one language but I wanted optional subs, not hard-coded, and that program worked perfectly. (after hours trying others without success) Thank you!
    Quote Quote