VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I am comverting SRT subtitles to SSA using DIVXLAND Media Subtitler 2.0.8. Im trying to create an opaque background for the subitles and as such am selcting the "opaque background" setting from Settings>Format Settings>Style>Opague Background. When i view the finished product i have perfect subtitles in SSA format but no opaque background has been added.

CAn anyone suggest what the problem may be and hopefully a solution? And failing that snother program whereby it is possible to create an opaque background for subtitles.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. When i view the finished product
    How do you view the subtitles? And what will you be using them for?

Anyway:

Aegisub:
    Subtitles -> Style Manager -> Edit -> Tick "Opaque box"

Subtitle Edit:
    Format - > Drop down box -> Select "Advanced Sub Station Alpha"
    Right click first subtitle -> Advanced Sub Station Alpha Styles .. -> Check "Opaque box (uses outline color)

In both cases just drag the SRT file to them.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello im viewing the AVI file + subs file using VLC Media Player. I shall have a play around with Aegisub and Subtitle Edit but i now think the problem lies not with Divxland but with VLC. I need the opaque background because the existing AVI file unfortunately already has embedded subs of a foreign language. As an experimant I have just embedded the SSA file i had already created using virtualdub and the opaque background shows up when i do this. Whilst i much prefer soft subs, considering i already have embedded subs to begin with i may as well just embed my own on top of the existing ones. I guess the answer is that VLC whilst displaying the text of my SSA subs is unable to display the opaque background.

Thank s very much for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, I achieve your goal with VLC 2.0.4 using an external .ASS subtitle file. In the picture below you may see part of "p" in "example" from the hardcoded subtitle underneath those opaqued from the external file.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Opaque.jpg
Views:	1549
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	17746  

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Bingo. Ive updated my VLC to current (2.0.6) and am now get the opaque background using my external SSA file.

Thank you for your assistance. Youve not only been very helpful but have solved the problem too.
    Quote Quote