VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have tried Epson, Sonic, and Roxio software with an Epson 837 printer and the cover is always 5mm too narrow. It should be 185mm H x 270mm W but I can not get the wide to be correct. I've calibrated the printer with Roxio but the cover is still 5mm too short on the width. The paper is 8.5x11" Letter size. I am open to try other software or any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  2. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    I use "Undercover XP" for printing CD and DVD covers. It's a free program with a format editor if you need to change any of the dimensions. I also print on A4 size paper.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moviegeek71 View Post
    The paper is 8.5x11" Letter size.
    Originally Posted by HarpMaster View Post
    I (...) print on A4 size paper.
    And there you have it. Whatever program you use (I've used a variety), the key is to use A4 paper (or perhaps legal). I prefer to buy micro perforated DVD inserts because I don't enjoy using my paper trimmer, but to each his own.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Another "key" is to own a printer that can do borderless printing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, that too.
    Quote Quote  
  6. It's not the software you're using, it's the paper. 8.5 x 11 paper is just a tad too small for a standard DVD sleeve. Use A4 size, and your problems will be gone!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Another "key" is to own a printer that can do borderless printing.
    Thanks to everyone, I'll get the A4 paper. I didn't know about perforated DVD paper, I might get that kind but I do have a large cutter.

The Epson does offer borderless printing but I haven't tried it because I didn't know what it would do and the preview looked the same.

What kind of paper is recommended to make the cover look like the semi-gloss of a factory DVD cover? I'm not making illegal DVD copies, my goal is to convert all my VHS-only movies to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Legal size paper 8 1/2 x 14. I use Hammermill 28pound 100 white legal.
    Quote Quote  
  9. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    For DVD covers, I generally use 120gsm glossy paper, that I get locally for £1 for 20 sheets.
    With Cd covers, I prefer something a little thicker, from 150 to 170 gsm, costing usually around £3 for 50 sheets.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I don't know what are you talked about guys.

I'm printing DVD covers for years on the standard 8.5x11" Letter size paper and it comes in correct size 185mm H x 270mm W.

I'm use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer mostly and DVD-Cover Printmaster occasionally.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I'm confused now, I would hope that it would be as simple as getting the A4 paper size as suggested.
    Quote Quote  
  12. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think the size of your paper is the problem. As long as the guides of your printer paper feed are set to the width of the paper, it should print okay. But the usual size of a DVD cover
    is slightly wider than the size you quoted. DVD Cover Printmaster has the size at 184mm x 274mm. Undercover XP has the dimensions slightly larger at 184.2 x 274.3.

Allthough I use both programs, I prefer to use Undercover XP mostly, because when printing
    on both sides of the paper, it's more accurate in matching the other side. Also when printing the back cover of a CD, it's less wasteful, as you can print two on the same piece of paper.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by HarpMaster View Post
    But the usual size of a DVD cover is slightly wider than the size you quoted.
    So, the majority says that I need to get the A4 paper?
    Quote Quote  
  14. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    I don't think it really matters what the size of the paper is, as long as it is bigger than
    the size of a DVD cover. But it must be more convenient to buy A4 size paper, especially
    if you want to use glossy paper. Even the plain paper I've bought, has always been A4.

But if what you've already got is letter size and it's dimensions are big enough - use it.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by HarpMaster View Post
    I don't think the size of your paper is the problem. But the usual size of a DVD cover is slightly wider than the size you quoted.
    Originally Posted by HarpMaster View Post
    I don't think it really matters what the size of the paper is, as long as it is bigger than the size of a DVD cover. But if what you've already got is letter size and it's dimensions are big enough - use it.
    I don't understand, you say the size of the paper is not the problem but then you said the DVD cover is wider than the 8.5x11" letter size.

The letter size paper (8.5x11") is larger than a DVD cover but every time I print on it, regardless of software or settings, the DVD cover is 5mm too narrow at the width.
    Quote Quote  
  16. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    If the size of your paper is 216 x 279 mm, which is the metric equivalent of 8.5 x 11",
    and the DVD cover is 184 x 274 mm, then the paper is big enough. So therefore,
    perhaps the template is the wrong size. In DVD Cover Printmaster, you should use the
    setting for Single DVD and print at Portrait setting on the printer not Landscape.
    Make sure the paper guides where the paper goes in are set so that the paper feeds
    in securely.

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell you, apart from perhaps trying A4
    paper. And if that fails - throw the printer on the floor and jump up and down on
    it. That should help!
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'll just have to fiddle with it and figure it out. I'll give that DVD Cover Printmaster a go too.

If not, I'll just pull an 'Office Space' on it like they did the fax.
    Quote Quote  
  18. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    Just a thought. When you print, do you call up the printer properties or at least the options
    in DVD Cover Printmaster, and set the paper size?
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  19. I've tried everything with the software and the printer and get the same result. I'll have to get some A4 paper because that's the only thing I haven't tested yet.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use MS Publisher & made a template 3 boxes, one left, one right & a spine box using the size grid to adjust size to my dvd case,

drop image in if its a full cover

or use a photo program or MS paint to cut out each panel to adjust size.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by moviegeek71 View Post
    I've tried everything with the software and the printer and get the same result. I'll have to get some A4 paper because that's the only thing I haven't tested yet.
    You probably won't find A4 in America.....Legal is the next size up.
    And the specs say your printer can do borderless....and borderless on 8.5x11
    http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product/Specifications.do?sku=C11CB20201
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Going borderless may cause you more problems. When that's turned on, my Canon takes whatever I give it and enlarges it slightly. It does this to avoid leaving a bit of white on an edge if it misfeeds but that means it's not really printing the size I asked for.

Instead, I switched to Legal size paper ages ago for DVD covers.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search PM
    I found this harsh little sentence concerning Epson printers when searching the interwebs for a solution:

Borderless is not usually possible with plain paper.

Which could explain why you can't print a 184 x 274 mm label on a 216 x 279 mm sheet, assuming you use plain paper and set the printer driver accordingly.

Maybe it's worth spoiling a bit of ink by temporarily choosing a glossy/photo paper setting, even if you don't have glossy paper. Just to be sure the above rule doesn't apply here.

To be sure you get the right and full size of your labels chosse a paper that is large enough to accomodate the label and whatever border the printer itself may need around it.
    Last edited by Lowlander; 22nd May 2013 at 16:01.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by yst View Post
    I'm printing DVD covers for years on the standard 8.5x11" Letter size paper and it comes in correct size 185mm H x 270mm W. I'm use Windows Picture and Fax Viewer ...
    Well now, I tried the MS Windows Picture and Fax Viewer with the same Letter sized paper and it worked at 185H x 274W. I tried the simpliest thing last and it worked. What I did notice, the only difference, is that it is printed centered when all the other software did not center the image on the paper.
    Quote Quote