VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

Newbie on board....although I could have sworn I had been (or coulda/shoulda been) a member here a looooooong time ago. I havent really bothered anymore with video editing with all the "free stuff" floating on the "innenertz"

Anyways, I'm kinda stuck...i thought it was going to be "simple"...again with all the video-editing software out there...unfortunately, i cant seem to find any that's simple enough to use..

so...is there a "Software" that "edits/changes or replaces" the thumbnail picture of an MP4 video? (or an MKV file...but for now, im just working on MP4s)
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The thumbnail in windows explorer? You can then try icaros.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    The thumbnail in windows explorer? You can then try icaros.
    Yes! The thumbnails in Windows Explorer (on a Win7 Home Basic 64-bit OS, and usually using a VLC player as default player)

I'll certainly check out this Icaros software (currently i've just installed Video Thumbnail Maker, which creates random thumbnail jpg files --- but I have no idea yet how exactly it will replace an existing MP4's video thumbnail)

Thanks! I'll give it a go and give back some feedback here how it went (the least I can do).

PS: a much more newbie question...all the other media files have thumbnails...mp4. .m4v .mov...but mkv does not go into thumbnails? how come?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok....I somehow...well...kind of figured out how the 2 program works: (pls do correct me if I am wrong or I missed something)

1. Icaros software: does one thing = shows "thumbnail" or preview pics for different audio-video files in Win Explorer (it did fix my .MKV files not generating any thumbnail/preview pics)

2. Video Thumbnail Maker: generates/culls thumbnail pics from existing video files which can be used as preview/cover pics (it solves my problem of going through video files and taking screenshots or snapshots of scenes one at a time)

My problem however is how to REPLACE/EDIT an existing thumbnail pic of an MP4 or M4V video file with a picture of my own (JPG file)??? Is there a software that does this? Preferably without re-encoding the entire video and just...perhaps "inserting" the JPG file into the video file?

Like so:

Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Nope. No idea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    ???

I don't think you understand what a thumbnail is (comes from)...

Thumbnails are meant to show you a low-rez preview poster of some point in a video/movie. It may store it in a separate cache file, but it is BASED on the contents of the video/movie file, so you can't "replace" a thumbnail with something external to the video/movie.
    The only way to get your pic to be used as the thumbnail is to figure out WHICH frame(s) is shown in the preview and use an NLE to insert a picture - AS VIDEO - into your existing video at that framecount point. When subsequently saving this, it will of course re-encode your video (which is a bad thing), unless you use proper lossless joining methods (e.g. Virtualdub "direct stream copy"). This does NOT include binary joining (even if on the surface, it looks like it works).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    ???

Thumbnails are meant to show you a low-rez preview poster of some point in a video/movie. It may store it in a separate cache file, but it is BASED on the contents of the video/movie file, so you can't "replace" a thumbnail with something external to the video/movie.
    The only way to get your pic to be used as the thumbnail is to figure out WHICH frame(s) is shown in the preview and use an NLE to insert a picture - AS VIDEO - into your existing video at that framecount point. When subsequently saving this, it will of course re-encode your video (which is a bad thing), unless you use proper lossless joining methods (e.g. Virtualdub "direct stream copy"). This does NOT include binary joining (even if on the surface, it looks like it works).

Scott

Uhmmm...i do know the video thumbnails came from the video file itself....although, I don't really understand (like you said) which video frame at some point becomes the "thumbnail" eventually. It just seemed random....i guess it was dependent on how the original video was encoded. I was hoping I could just replace (preferably) the beginning frame of the video with my own picture file....Hmmmmm....Virtualdub seems the most "promising" (and im a bit familiar with using it) but that would mean I may have to re-encode everything which would take time and a lot of processing power (dunno if it'll work on m4vs)

There must be an easier way of doing this? Some kind of "video registry hack" perhaps? What's an NLE btw?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    ???

Scott
    Really? As the OP assumes, these images may initially originate from within a video file but, ultimately, they are stored as images somewhere. To suggest that the OP edits the clip in order to insert an image that is then extracted is, frankly, bizarre.

OP should read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_thumbnail_cache
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yeah, well MS does MANY things that are bizarre. Go figure. Sometimes in order to work with it, you have to do bizarre stuff in turn. I read your link and it just confirmed what I understood about thumbs...

Here's how it works:
    1. OS uses "Thumbnail Handlers" as intermediaries/plugins which which to generate, manage & display thumbnails.
    2. Most, if not all, thumbnail handlers extract the image from either the very first frame of video, or the first Xth frame (can sometimes be set in the registry tweaks).
    3. Yes, it creates those thumbs and puts them into the thumbs.db, ehthumbs.db, or NTFS alternate-data-stream sections of the file itself. These usually exist in either the folder of the media files in question, or in a user's central storage folder (...app data, blah blah..).
    4. Yes, with an appropriately designed app, you might could externally modify/replace those thumbs with something else, but - if the database either gets corrupted or manually or automatically forced to refresh - ALL non-default thumbs get wiped out and replaced with their default thumbs, thereby UNDOing all your work!

Only by actually modifying the video file itself to take advantage of the handler's expectation can one bypass this problem and always have the handler generate the thumb you want. With the following exceptions:
    1. MOV (and by inheritance, MP4) files have a metadata section (aka ATOM) in a header section of the main file itself that holds a "poster". As long as the Thb Handler can correctly parse & support this metadata, changing that atom will force the handler to use whatever you've inserted into that element.
    2. WMV & MKV both have similar possibilities for encapsulating a thumb/poster, though each is is a different position & metadata name.

So a lot depends upon how SMART your thumbnail handler code is - if you have the default Windows handler, not much can be done (this has improved as time goes on, from W2k to XP to WMC to Vista to Win7 to Win8). As has been mentioned in previous threads, there is replacement codec/api code that can enhance the # of formats (to include MKV, for example), and those may be smart enough to allow for better adjustment of the thumbs. You could also create your own, where you can manually control which frame(s) get previewed.

However, you can't COUNT on that, particularly if you use multiple computers, devices, or swap files with friends, etc.

That is why prepending a clip with the intended preview thumbnail is still the ONLY surefire way to force the correct thumb. And, yes, it is a LOT of extra work. Most people don't care so much about the thumbs, so you would be in the minority, and that always entails greater effort.

BTW, I would recommend that you generate your thumb as a PNG, then encode the PNG as an 1-frame I-frame piece of video, using similar parameters to how the existing video is encoded. That way, you only need to do a lossless join instead of a full re-encode.

Scott

<edit>NLE = "Non-Linear editor"
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 17th May 2013 at 16:50.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I was aware of most of that BUT even your proposed approach would remain constrained by some of the limitations you yourself mention;

e.g. YOUR machine correctly extracts your inserted frame to create a thumbnail but when you share the file with a friend THEIR machine may not for the reasons you state; e.g. different OS, different codecs (Haali has its own 'engine' that can be enabled IIRC, etc, etc.).

In summary, I personally would hack the thumbs.db. Saying that, I wrote Vee-Hive http://www.veehive.x10.mx/ to get away from the limitations of the file system so it's not a problem I would ever face!

EDIT: Just did a quick search and, to my surprise, there are no apps that I could see that facilitate the editing of thumbs.db (and similar) files.
    Last edited by VideophileII; 17th May 2013 at 18:36.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a Program that allows MP4 and limited MKV thumbnail replacement. It is called MetaX and is for replacing/adding Meta Data.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_08 May. 17 23.30.jpg
Views:	2643
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	17918
    It is not free and the MKV, AVI is limited, at least when I last installed it.

Name:	ScreenHunter_08 May. 17 23.31.jpg
Views:	31399
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	17919
    It does change my thumbnails but I also should point out I have K-Lite installed which contains Icaros which will decode cover art for thumbnails. As far as I understand and observe on my various computers, the thumbnail depends on the registry setting for generating them. You can see this if you use several conversion programs and the resulting videos may have different thumbnails for the same file.

If you are looking to have the thumbnails for your own computer, as I do, then this works fine. If you send them to other places, the thumbnails may look different or not be there at all.

Name:	ScreenHunter_08 May. 17 23.36.jpg
Views:	31274
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	17920
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budman1
    There is a Program that allows MP4 and limited MKV thumbnail replacement. It is called MetaX and is for replacing/adding Meta Data.
    I have a question about this program and since its not apparently hosted on this website I'm a little hesitant to install it.

I want to take some h264 videos I have in m2ts files and remux them to mkv and add chapters and a thumbnail.

Ideally I want to use a movie poster picture for each movie. Will this program do this then?

Also note this for use on a wdtv gen 1 player and a current model year sony bluray player.

Will either the gen 1 or the sony bluray player recognize any thumbnails? If they won't there is no real reason for me to do this other than remuxing to add chapter markers.

Thanks.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Google information I looked up http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-HD/Beware-of-latest-Gen1-firmware-update/td-p/1170
    http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_hd talks of the WD TV Gen1 adding cover art at code level 1.01.75 and a users version version 1.02.7 showing cover art for MKV. Since I have neither of your players, and it's dependent on the code in any player whether it honors Cover Art, I cannot say for sure.

I will tell you that for movie titles, MetaX goes out on the internet and gathers cover art for you which you can use or you can select your own. It converted my MKV and displays on computer. The download version lets you try 5 files then you have to register it. This is not a sales pitch for Meta X, only that it appears to do what you want as shown below.

Name:	ScreenHunter_08 May. 26 23.28.jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	18030
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budman1
    I will tell you that for movie titles, MetaX goes out on the internet and gathers cover art for you which you can use or you can select your own. It converted my MKV and displays on computer. The download version lets you try 5 files then you have to register it. This is not a sales pitch for Meta X, only that it appears to do what you want as shown below.
    Thanks. How much is it fyi? If its not much it might be worth it.

Also thanks for looking up the player info.

It sounds promising. There should also be other software to do this I just haven't looked hard enough yet.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WW!!!!

Gee...being the OP of this thread....all I can say is a BIG THANKS for the MetaX suggestion! (Im slightly embarrassed that it took me only this time to getting around to post this)

Having used the "free" and uhmm... an old uhmmm.. "hack" version..... its still a "hit and miss" (but mostly a hit) as far as successfully getting a jpg thumbnail art to replace the existing one...and make it stick across a variety of video players or PCs or tablets...(it turns out that its gonna be archived and viewed on a HD media player)

But it is quite easy to use...so I just turned over the program to the primary user....who cares about thumbnails right? (i hope i don't get requested to make the thumbnail art to move like a preview)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search PM
    Here's a late reply but it has good info... I had the same problem with Windows preview thumbnails - I'm using ffmpeg command line to convert a bunch of files to MP4, but the resulting file wouldn't have a preview image in Windows Explorer. I'm currently checking/hoping that ffmpeg can do this on its own through some switches, but in the meantime I found a program that can do it... AtomicParsley. You first have to extract a frame from the video (eg with ffmpeg):

ffmpeg -ss 0 -i <inputfile.mp4> -vframes 1 frame.png

and then you can push it into the MP4 with atomicparsley:

atomicparsley <inputfile.mp4> --artwork frame.png --overWrite

(Note the capitalization of --overWrite, which outputs to the same file as the input, and the use of double-hyphens.) It seems that once you have set the image, you can't simply change it (it appears to work but the preview thumbnail doesn't actually change), but you can remove it and then re-set it again. Removing the artwork:

atomicparsley <inputfile.mp4> --artwork REMOVE_ALL --overWrite

Hope this helps, if you still need it!
    Quote Quote  
  17. For MKV files, merge the video file with mkvmerge, insert the thumb that you want named as "cover.jpg" in the attachment section. Works like a charm, at least with Icaros...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by mestredelta View Post
    For MKV files, merge the video file with mkvmerge, insert the thumb that you want named as "cover.jpg" in the attachment section. Works like a charm, at least with Icaros...
    Thanks. Works great. And for MP4 files I use foobar to attach cover. Icarus shows it well. But for MP4 even Windows 8.1 shows covers in Explorer.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by flmbray View Post
    ...I'm currently checking/hoping that ffmpeg can do this on its own through some switches, but in the meantime I found a program that can do it... AtomicParsley. You first have to extract a frame from the video (eg with ffmpeg):

ffmpeg -ss 0 -i <inputfile.mp4> -vframes 1 frame.png

and then you can push it into the MP4 with atomicparsley:

atomicparsley <inputfile.mp4> --artwork frame.png --overWrite
    Hi flmbray.

Your idea is excellent and I'm also looking for similar solutions.
    Extract one frame and insert it back as a cover frame.

ffmpeg can handle AVI and extract frames easily
    Unfortunately, AtomicParsley won't work with AVI files...
    Most of my old videos were coded using this container and h264 codec.

Do you know how to do the same with AVI files?

Originally Posted by flmbray View Post
    Hope this helps, if you still need it!
    Oh, my, yes, you helped a lot!

For others mates, does someone know another program that can do that? To elect a frame to transform it as a video cover and can handle AVI files? MetaX could not work with my files...
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by VideophileII View Post
    ...I wrote Vee-Hive http://www.veehive.x10.mx/ to get away from the limitations of the file system so it's not a problem I would ever face!
    Hi, VideophileII.

Congrats for your very handy Vee-Hive!

Do you know how to tweak Registry or installed codecs/splitters to change the cover of some video files, as thumbnails?
    I prefer Directory Opus instead of Windows Explorer. It has its own folder for thumb cache files.

Attached is one of its files.
    I couldn't recognize the format. It doesn't appear to be an image file.
    If you, please, may have a look and say some tip, it would be great.

Forgot to say: Windows 7 Ultimate here.
    Image Attached Files
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I wanted to do the same thing as OP and found this thread. Just sharing my solution. What I ended up doing is just going to itunes, adding my movie files, and then adding artwork and putting the movie poster or whatever image you want to use into place. From there, it also changed the thumbnail image to the poster in windows explorer. Using Itunes 12.3.1.23 on Win10. Hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jairovital View Post
    ffmpeg can handle AVI and extract frames easily
    Unfortunately, AtomicParsley won't work with AVI files...
    Most of my old videos were coded using this container and h264 codec.

Do you know how to do the same with AVI files?

For others mates, does someone know another program that can do that? To elect a frame to transform it as a video cover and can handle AVI files? MetaX could not work with my files...
    AVI files do not support embedded images.

It is theoretically possible for a program to append an image after all the AVI data, like some software does with metadata tags, but that program would also be required to view the image, so it really wouldn't be worth anything outside of its own environment. I don't know of any program that does it, because software and hardware players, along with Windows itself, would simply ignore that extraneous data.

If you're using a hardware player to view your videos, many of them have provisions for including thumbnails if the player doesn't generate its own.

With the WDTV media player, for example, you can include a .jpg image in the same folder as the video file, and it will be used as the thumbnail for that video. The .jpg file must have the EXACT same filename - including capitalization. You can also do the same thing to have thumbnails for .m3u playlists.

Incidentally, you could use a program such as AviDemux to change the container type. You could take your existing .avi files and create .mp4 files without having to re-encode the video or audio data. It takes just a few seconds to convert an entire movie from an .avi to an .mp4 container. I'm sure there are other programs that will do the same thing. That just happens to be the one I use.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thank you for your reply.

Originally Posted by awgie View Post

AVI files do not support embedded images.
    Sad...

It is theoretically possible for a program to append an image after all the AVI data, like some software does with metadata tags, but that program would also be required to view the image, so it really wouldn't be worth anything outside of its own environment. I don't know of any program that does it, because software and hardware players, along with Windows itself, would simply ignore that extraneous data.
    How to do that? How to append an image after all the AVI data?
    Would be worth to give a try?

If you're using a hardware player to view your videos, many of them have provisions for including thumbnails if the player doesn't generate its own.

With the WDTV media player, for example, you can include a .jpg image in the same folder as the video file, and it will be used as the thumbnail for that video. The .jpg file must have the EXACT same filename - including capitalization. You can also do the same thing to have thumbnails for .m3u playlists.
    No hardware player here. Justa GomPlayer on Windows Seven SP1.
    And a big willing to have correct thumbs for my videos.

Incidentally, you could use a program such as AviDemux to change the container type. You could take your existing .avi files and create .mp4 files without having to re-encode the video or audio data. It takes just a few seconds to convert an entire movie from an .avi to an .mp4 container. I'm sure there are other programs that will do the same thing. That just happens to be the one I use.
    I already use Avidemux and I know how it works. BTW, old versions of Avidemux are better than newer ones. Using 2.5.4.
    Avidemux creates random pics for thumbnails, extracted from the videos. Impossible (AFAIK) to determine which one will be.

So, any suggestion or idea you have, it would be very welcome.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a dirty way to change the thumbnails if you are using any of the suggested thumbnail viewers mentioned earlier such as Icaros, Media Viewer and others as show at http://winaero.com/blog/get-thumbnails-for-all-possible-image-and-video-formats-in-explorer-folders/

Just create a video with the same speccs from an image of the same size and concatenate them together. This can all be done with FFmpeg as shown below.

Code:
    "C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\MEGA_Trimmed_Tabbed_2_2\bin\Debug\ffmpeg" -loop 1 -f image2 -i "C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\image001.jpg" -c:v libx264 -b 400k -t 4 "C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\image001.MP4"

Name:	image001.mp4.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	39453

-------------------------------------

concatenate:

Code:
    ffmpeg -f concat -i FileList.txt -c copy -scodec copy "C:\Users\Bud\Desktop\clip_Joined_1.mp4"
    files in FileList,txt shown below

Name:	concat.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	39454

--------------------------

Now set your Icaros, etc. to have 99% offset and it will show the image at the end of video. Bear in mind Windows doesn't like to change the thumbnail once its stored in its thumbnail folder so unless you delete all thumbnails and let them create them again or copy the video and then delete the original and rename the copy, the initial thumbnail will continue to display on many versions of Windows.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Great Budman1!

Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    There is a dirty way to change the thumbnails if you are using any of the suggested thumbnail viewers mentioned earlier such as Icaros, Media Viewer and others as show at http://winaero.com/blog/get-thumbnails-for-all-possible-image-and-video-formats-in-explorer-folders/
    Rather than a dirty way, I guess is a nice way!

Just create a video with the same speccs from an image of the same size and concatenate them together. This can all be done with FFmpeg as shown below.
    I can create a video with same specs, putting what I want as thumb for that video at the end, using my mate Avidemux.
    But it's good to learn another way with ffmpeg.

Now set your Icaros, etc. to have 99% offset and it will show the image at the end of video. Bear in mind Windows doesn't like to change the thumbnail once its stored in its thumbnail folder so unless you delete all thumbnails and let them create them again or copy the video and then delete the original and rename the copy, the initial thumbnail will continue to display on many versions of Windows.
    The big tip here is to, finally, understand what is Icaros offset for!
    Using your method, with ffmpeg, I had to put offset to 100% to get the correct thumbnail. Is it a problem?

Many thanks for your help.
    Before I go, I must ask about that Media Utility interface to run ffmpeg.
    What tool/program is that? I looks like a very nice tool.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @jairovita,

Rather than a dirty way, I guess is a nice way!
    Thank you for the kind words.

The big tip here is to, finally, understand what is Icaros offset for!
    Using your method, with ffmpeg, I had to put offset to 100% to get the correct thumbnail. Is it a problem?
    I used a very short video to test with a 4 second video placed at the end. If 4 seconds is 1% and the movie is longer than 400 seconds (6 minutes and 40 seconds), you would need 100% offset. By the same logic, the 4 second video could be shortened if using 100% offset.

Before I go, I must ask about that Media Utility interface to run ffmpeg.
    What tool/program is that? I looks like a very nice tool.
    That is a program I wrote that does many, many of the things people ask for on a recurring basis and instead of looking up the sequence, script, batch, etc. each time, I test it out with this program to make sure it works and then post the results showing it does work. It does what the tabs indicate: Edit video characteristics, add/extract subtitles, add/blur logos, create video in video, alter audio/video delays, show histogram in many ways(Levels, color, Luma, Audio levels), find key frames(list them), create quality GIFS, create videos from a single image or multiple images with or without transitions between images and much more.

It even allows you to change the Windows date/ time or the Encoded date/time from each other or do it manually. It has a tab that explains where this is stored in MP4 type videos if you wish to use a hex editor and do it manually.

Name:	DateTime.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	39571

The player mode always shows information such as frame number and I just added type to lower center position in Yellow:

Name:	Key Frame.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	39570

You can also change the script in the pseudo DOS Window if you are familiar with FFmpeg before exceution as you become more familiar with it or run it as is for 'canned' editing.

It does everything I need to do and the above post did everything I explained except take the image picture. It is made for using ffmpeg, avisynth, convert, Potplayer(Others with work if they play AVS files) and others, all of which I asked the creators to include and received permission since I do not compile them into my program but simply call them as needed. In this way I can use the best of the best utilities and programs and change if needed.

Thats the good news... the bad news (for me at least) is I posted it here for 30 days and asked for suggestions and notice of failures or improvements and received 0 (Zero) replies so I assumed my lack of programming skills made it worthless and removed it. 5 more people have asked privately to download it and I sent them links with a promise to let me know how it worked. I'm assuming it worked for them since they too never replied, ever.

Now I just use it for a speedier reply and to demonstrate that the script, batch files, or technique DOES work and to make it easy to understand a correlation between a script in ffmpeg and what it relates to:

Name:	Dos Window.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	39573

Glad it works for you.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Budman1 View Post
    @jairovita,
    That is a program I wrote that does many, many of the things people ask for on a recurring basis and instead of looking up the sequence, script, batch, etc. each time, I test it out with this program to make sure it works and then post the results showing it does work. It does what the tabs indicate: Edit video characteristics, add/extract subtitles, add/blur logos, create video in video, alter audio/video delays, show histogram in many ways(Levels, color, Luma, Audio levels), find key frames(list them), create quality GIFS, create videos from a single image or multiple images with or without transitions between images and much more.
    It seems like merely wonderful!
    All I need in just one unique tool!
    Excellent!

I would love to write a program to handle frames just to make video editing more easier when playing with AvsPmod.
    Because the most actions I take is to trim frames and apply SelectEvery to accelerate speed.
    AvsPmod previewer shows only final result.
    Always, I have to work with Virtualdub at side to read the real frame number to trim the next part.

I have little skills with Delphi, but no time at this moment to dedicate to learn more about it.
    But I know that what I'm trying to do is not so difficult.

Never mind.

Thats the good news... the bad news (for me at least) is I posted it here for 30 days and asked for suggestions and notice of failures or improvements and received 0 (Zero) replies so I assumed my lack of programming skills made it worthless and removed it. 5 more people have asked privately to download it and I sent them links with a promise to let me know how it worked. I'm assuming it worked for them since they too never replied, ever.

Glad it works for you.
    I'm very disappointed to know that.
    It's a lack of respect, to say little, I mean, about the people that didn't replyed.

I'd love to test and make comments about your program, if you agree to send it to me, may be via PM.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Budman1

Take a look at this thread.
    I began to write a program, but I gave up because too many other important things happend and claimed my time.
    But I'd like to get it back and improve what I already done.

Feel free to give suggestions.

I already downloaded all 16 videoclips. If you want and don't know how to grab them, I may send for you.
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jairovital View Post
    I already use Avidemux and I know how it works. BTW, old versions of Avidemux are better than newer ones. Using 2.5.4.
    Avidemux creates random pics for thumbnails, extracted from the videos. Impossible (AFAIK) to determine which one will be.

So, any suggestion or idea you have, it would be very welcome.
    Sorry for not responding for six weeks. I didn't see your reply until just now.

I agree about old versions of AviDemux being better. I use 2.5.6 personally. Version 2.6 was completely overhauled and doesn't even work the same as 2.5. At the very least, they should have called it version 3.0 - or even better, just given it a whole new name. I see they just released 2.6.16 recently, but I have absolutely no desire to even try it.

AviDemux does not create thumbnails at all - it just processes the video. Windows generates the thumbnails, and as you say - it's anyone's guess how it chooses which frame to use.

But if you use AviDemux to change your video from an .avi container to a .mp4 container as I mentioned in my last post, then you can use AtomicParsley to embed a thumbnail of your choosing. I also see there's a new GUI for editing tags and cover art on .mp4 files, but I haven't tried it out. It's called Baka Tagger.
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    Sorry for not responding for six weeks. I didn't see your reply until just now.
    Never mind.
    And a Happy New Year, mate!

But if you use AviDemux to change your video from an .avi container to a .mp4 container as I mentioned in my last post, then you can use AtomicParsley to embed a thumbnail of your choosing. I also see there's a new GUI for editing tags and cover art on .mp4 files, but I haven't tried it out. It's called Baka Tagger.
    Excellent Baka Tagger!
    Wonderful suggestion!
    All problems had gone!
    Thank you.
    Quote Quote