VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could do with the assistance of others out there.

I am looking to either hire someone to burn raw footage to blu-ray discs or alternatively obtaining a blu ray burner that will produce very high quality discs that are not region locked and can be played on a Mac laptop.

The footage is currently 4 hours long and is in .MOV format with the codec in Apple ProRes 422 (LT) Linear PCM Timecode

Also what kind of software would I need to split a 4 hour movie into segmented parts to put on separate blu rays so that the quality of the film is not impacted due to high compression rates?

The current file size is over 128GB, so looking at how we could go about making a high quality video, and hoping this is easy to accomplish

Any help with this would be fantastic
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Wanting to do this on a Mac is going to be challenging. I have no idea what you can possibly use as playing software on a Mac for Blu Ray discs, but it will require a 3rd party program. No current Mac laptop comes with an optical drive at all so you're going to have to attach something via USB.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My wife's MacBook Pro has an optical drive, which we brought last year
    Quote Quote  
  4. iMovie or FCPX will handle the pro res files natively so you can edit away with no discernable loss of quality.

Apple and Blu Ray have been at odds over licensing fees, you will probably need 3rd party software for output. Example: http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-creator-for-mac.htm
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by NoobVH54745 View Post
    Could do with the assistance of others out there.

I am looking to either hire someone to burn raw footage to blu-ray discs or alternatively obtaining a blu ray burner that will produce very high quality discs that are not region locked and can be played on a Mac laptop.

The footage is currently 4 hours long and is in .MOV format with the codec in Apple ProRes 422 (LT) Linear PCM Timecode

Also what kind of software would I need to split a 4 hour movie into segmented parts to put on separate blu rays so that the quality of the film is not impacted due to high compression rates?

The current file size is over 128GB, so looking at how we could go about making a high quality video, and hoping this is easy to accomplish

Any help with this would be fantastic
    I looked around on Amazon and came up with the following external Blu-Ray writers that reviewers say are Mac compatible. An internal drive would be better, but I have no idea what to look for to replace the existing optical drive on your Mac. Some of the reviews suggested software for burning discs or watching movies on a Mac. I don't think any come with Mac-compatible software.

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-External-Blu-Ray-Writer-Apple-MacBook/dp/B008MCZJXG
    http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-Electronics-Retail-Writer-BDR-XD04S/dp/B0071AEHHO
    http://www.amazon.com/LG-Portable-Blu-ray-Playback-BP40NS20/dp/B006X2HD2M
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 5th May 2013 at 16:57.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    NoobVH54745, I'll move you to our Mac Forum, where you may get more help for Mac specific questions. I understand you want to convert HD video of about 128GB to a more manageable size for burning to a BD disc, which are typically 25GB, so quite a bit of reduction in size. True, you could use more than one disc or use DL BD discs (~50GB), but playback and costs could be a problem.

And I have no idea what capability for HD (Blu-ray) playback a Mac computer might have, so better to talk to our Mac experts for specifics.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What software particularly would I need to split the file into segments so that I can spread them over multiple blu-ray discs.

I have noticed that blu-ray burners can be picked up for as little as $159, and that FCP can be obtained for $319.99, which seems reasonable. Given that I have not edited videos or burnt to blu ray before (on either Windows or Mac), so looking for something that is easy to use but also allows provides the ability to split the film over multiple discs & create multiple copies.

Would be even better if there is the possibility of creating chapters and subtitles.
    Quote Quote