VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I live in a desert area here in Cal. We don't have cable nor Direc TV Dish Network TV. Hence, I get my TV over the air, through an antenna. I don't mind

Question: I'd love to buy a DVD Recorder. Most models out there are "tuner-less". They say that they connect to your cable or satellite tuner box. As I said, I have neither.

Can't you connect the DVD Recorder to your Digital TV set and to use the TV's digital tuner?

Or will these tuner-less DVD Recorders only work with the aforementioned Cable or Satellite tuner boxes??

Please help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Tunerless DVD recorders typically have s-video and composite inputs. Some (not many) TVs have a "Monitor Out" feature where whatever you are watching is output via an s-video or composite output (this also means the TV has to be on and tuned to the channel you want to record anything). If you're TV has a monitor out port you can use one of those DVD recorders. Otherwise you'll need a DVD recorder with an ATSC tuner built in. Or an external ATSC tuner box. For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-DTV102-Standard-Definition-Converter-Black/dp/B001HB4PXE/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Magnavox ones have OTA digital tuners. Great machines, from WM.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    External ATSC tuners/converter boxes can be used with a DVD recorder (I have done it), but they are not as useful as a DVD recorder with its own ATSC tuner. Converter boxes nearly always have a timer that turns them off after a period of inactivity, usually 4 hours, and most will not change channels according to a pre-programmed schedule. The inactivity timer feature can be a problem if you want to record TV while asleep or away from home, and unless the converter box can change channels according to a schedule, you are restricted to recording a single channel.

If your budget allows, the Magnavox DVD recorders with a hard drive sold byWalmart offer more conveniences than a tunerless DVD recorder that only records to DVDs. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-HDD-and-DVD-Recorder-with-Digital-Tuner-320GB/20710260
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 4th May 2013 at 11:21. Reason: fixed typo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks all for the replies. And thank you usually quiet for recommending the Magnavox DVR/DVD Machine!

Yes, my budget does allow for this machine and yes, I have a Wal-Mart about 23-24 miles from me!

Again, thank you all for your help!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frederico View Post
    Thanks all for the replies. And thank you usually quiet for recommending the Magnavox DVR/DVD Machine!

Yes, my budget does allow for this machine and yes, I have a Wal-Mart about 23-24 miles from me!

Again, thank you all for your help!
    The Magnavox DVD recorders Walmart sells need to be purchased online in most cases. Brick-and-mortar Walmart stores hardly ever carry them. Home delivery is available, but you can also have your order delivered to a Walmart store for pickup if home delivery poses a problem, or if it saves enough money on delivery charges.
    Quote Quote