VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've got a 7.9GB already-transcoded video file, and a 297.8MB already-transcoded audiio file, bot set to 'Don't Transcode' in Encore.

Despite this, Encore reports the 'Encoded Size' for the timeline containing those two assets as 9.093GB, conjuring a GB from thin air and rendering my project unburnable.

I've had this problem before, but it stopped happening. It's happened on both of the projects I've tried to create this morning. I have no idea what's causing it, or what made it stop.

What on earth is going on?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are there menus or motion backgrounds in your projects?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There are (along with other timelines), but I can't see how that would affect things. The timeline is a gig larger than what's in it. I'm not looking at the project size.

EDIT: Those other timelines are:
    72.39MB (2.8 audio 64.1 video)
    14.51MB (609KB audio 12.8MB video)
    20.2MB (829KB audio 17.8MB video)

So it does appear to be increasing the size of everything.
    Last edited by koberulz; 2nd May 2013 at 08:23.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you adsolutely sure that the already transcoded video file is DVD compliant (audio and video)?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  5. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I can't see how it couldn't be; it's a DVD-NTSC m2v file, with an ac3 file, both of which have both their DVD Transcode Status and DVD Transcode Settings listed as 'Don't Transcode'.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can you list the steps you took to import the files/timelines into Encore?

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  7. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Right-clicked in the Project panel, selected "Import As>Asset", selected all the files, clicked 'Open'. Right-clicked in the Project panel, selected 'New>Timeline', dragged the two relevant clips into the area down the bottom, whatever it's called. Exactly the same as every other time I create a DVD in Encore, which I've done literally hundreds of times without an issue.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could try building to a folder and during the build process determine if Encore is reencoding any of the imported assets.

Brainiac
    Quote Quote  
  9. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It refuses to build, because it won't fit on the disc. Everything's set to 'Don't Transcode'. I've used this process hundreds of times. The only difference is I'm doing it in NTSC widescreen, instead of PAL or NTSC standard, and the fact that I created and named chapter points in Premiere before exporting the video, rather than creating them in Encore.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than 'Are you really really really sure it's not transcoding'?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Either your math is faulty or you are mis-reporting.

I've got a 7.9GB already-transcoded video file, and a 297.8MB already-transcoded audiio file, bot set to 'Don't Transcode' in Encore.
    also
    72.39MB (2.8 audio 64.1 video)
    14.51MB (609KB audio 12.8MB video)
    20.2MB (829KB audio 17.8MB video)
    So 7.9GB = 7.9 * 1024 = 8089.6MB
    8089.6 + 297.8 + 72.39 + 14.51 + 20.2 = 8494.5MB or 8494.5 / 1024 = 8.29GB

But since
    DVD-9, holds around 8 540 000 000 bytes and that is 7.95 GiB. DVD+R supports this format. Also called Single Sided Dual Layered. This media is called DVD-R9, DVD-R DL, DVD+R9, DVD+R DL or 8.5 GB Media.
    You are already 8.29 - 7.95 = ~340MB too large for the DL disc. Since you've told it NOT to transcode (I'll believe you for now), it has no remaining option but to error and wait for you to change something.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm entirely open to the possibility of having to re-encode due to being out by a few MB in my bitrate calculations. What I'm not open to is having to re-encode because Encore has added a GB from nowhere, because that's going to cause a massive quality drop for no reason.

I tried to get as close to filling the disc as possible. Maybe I went over. Maybe it's just rounding. But at this point I can't tell because Encore is insisting that an 8GB timeline is 9GB.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't know why you can't tell, I can. You went over. It doesn't matter if you go over by 5MB or 5GB, if it's over you have to re-encode (something) to a lower amount.
    You think Encore is rounding? or You are? Take both possibilities out of the equation and use a filesize checker that you trust (also it's a good idea to get into the habit of using common size notations & correct nomenclature - e.g. always Mbps and GiB, etc.). Simple way would be add the asset files alone to an ImgBurn session using the "Write Files/Folders to Disc" function. It'll tell you how close you've gotten to disc capacity with just those un-authored assets alone (or whether you've gone over). Remember that when authoring, though, the resulting VOBs will likely have a 4-10% overhead, so you need to account for that and keep your limit under that lowered cap.

If my calculations were accurate and you were ~4.5% over, that could have accounted for it, BTW.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  13. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    My problem is not that I'm over capacity, my problem is that I've got an 8GB timeline Encore insists is actually 9GB. Even if my files are the right size, Encore adding an extra gig will push me over unless I fit on the disc with a gig spare.

ImgBurn reports those two files at 8.2 GB, which is much closer to their actual size, but for some reason still won't fit on an 8.5GB disc (why people can't agree on one way to measure file size is beyond me), so my bitrate calculator clearly screwed up. However, that doesn't explain why the timeline is 9GB instead of 8.2.

EDIT: Turns out I selected DVD10 in the bitrate calculator accidentally, so that's that solved.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Everything I say is false koberulz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So I re-encoded with the correct bitrate, and ended up with a 7.1GB video file, and an 8.27 GB timeline. So the timeline is still a gig bigger than the assets are. Although it does fit on a disc.

It's not measuring the assets by whatever method makes a DVD 7.96GB and the timelines by whatever method makes it 8.5GB, is it?
    Quote Quote