VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a 2 rail Power Supply fixing to be used on a build and I wondered, what connections on the PS go to what rail? Obviously the main power connectors into the motherboard are one but are there others that go on the first rail or all the rest go to the 2nd rail? I have a Video card that has its own power connectors and I read somewhere that the video card connections on power supplies(if they have their own seperate ones...modular) usually go with the 2nd rail but I wondered, if you have a video card that plugs into just the pcie with no power connection needed...i.e....the motherboard provides the power...what rail is it using? I'm not sure if using a video card with no separate power connectors is the way to go if it and the processor/mb is going to be using the same rail etc...since power is split between the 2 rails I don't wanna tax or max out the rail....Single rail power supplies don't have this issue

any input would help
    Quote Quote  
  2. If the manufacturer of the PSU has a website, you should see if they have manuals for it, to view online.
    Failing that, you can try to contact them and ask for the info.
    Several years ago, I contacted Antec via e-mail, and asked for this very info about one of their multi-rails PSUs.
    After about 2 days, they wrote me back and told me what plugs/wires were on what rail.
    Quote Quote