VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, im new to this, my question is how do you exactly convert a media file to DVD with chinese subtitles? I have a movie and a chinese subtitle (SRT) that is in ANSI not UTF-8, I double checked in notpad++, I then tried to use AVStoDVD to convert the files to dvd format but after converting I checked the video in VLC and the chinese sub title comes up as question marks like ????????. How do I make a dvd with chinese subtitles that can be abled to be played in a US dvd player? What exactly do you need to do to accomplish this? Please share your knowledges people. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    This is because your PC does not understand the character set that your subtitles are in.

I do not know anything about AVStoDVD. I cannot help you with that.

If you copy and paste your subtitles into a UTF-8 file, Xvid4PSP can work with that and hardcode them into whatever format you like. However, you're not asking about hardcoding.

If you want to try to get your subtitles understood by AVStoDVD you can think about my suggestion in post #2 in this thread.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355431-Video-converter-showing-weird-subtitle-chara...hlight=Chinese

If you cannot read Chinese then DO NOT DO what I suggest to your PC in that thread!!!

Finally, you'll have to research it, but it's possible to change the character set that VLC uses to read the subtitles. I've done it, but it was about a year and a half ago. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I found the info online. However, doing this assumes that AVStoDVD was able to understand and correctly use your subtitles. I have no way to know if that is true.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    This is because your PC does not understand the character set that your subtitles are in.

I do not know anything about AVStoDVD. I cannot help you with that.

If you copy and paste your subtitles into a UTF-8 file, Xvid4PSP can work with that and hardcode them into whatever format you like. However, you're not asking about hardcoding.

If you want to try to get your subtitles understood by AVStoDVD you can think about my suggestion in post #2 in this thread.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/355431-Video-converter-showing-weird-subtitle-chara...hlight=Chinese

If you cannot read Chinese then DO NOT DO what I suggest to your PC in that thread!!!

Finally, you'll have to research it, but it's possible to change the character set that VLC uses to read the subtitles. I've done it, but it was about a year and a half ago. I don't remember exactly what I did, but I found the info online. However, doing this assumes that AVStoDVD was able to understand and correctly use your subtitles. I have no way to know if that is true.

I'm trying the hardcoding method right now, is it possible to convert the media files to DVD format with Xvid4PSP instead of converting lets say avi then use an authoring tool to convert it to DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Is it possible? Yes.

Will it REALLY work? Well, I tried to use Xvid4PSP to encode MPEG-2 valid for DVD and it refused to do it. Maybe if you try you'll have better luck than me.

This was basically a one shot favor for a friend and my friend isn't very picky. I encoded to a very high rate Xvid file that I hardcoded the subtitles into and then used AviSynth and HCenc to re-encode that file into DVD format. Then I authored a DVD using GUIforDVDAuthor if I remember correctly. It worked fine for my friend's needs and to be honest with you, when using Xvid4PSP to directly encode to MPEG-2 failed, I just wanted to get it done as quickly as I could rather than spend time looking into whatever caused the MPEG-2 encode to fail.
    Last edited by jman98; 1st May 2013 at 07:00. Reason: typo
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AVStoDVD accepts also DVD-format .sup subtitles. Since AVStoDVD doesn't appear to be able to create Chinese subtitles from your .srt in ANSI format, you could try to convert your subtitles to DVD's .sup format instead, and then import into AVStoDVD.

You could try opening the your subtitles in Subtitle Edit using various options from the "encoding" list to see if that works, and then export to idx/sub format using a compatible font.

The documentation for AVS to DVD recommends the following to convert from idx/sub to DVD .sup:

IDX/SUB subtitles are converted to SUP format using VSConv, a small utility from VobSub package. When VSConv fails, you can use this workaround:
    1. Open the subs with SubtitleCreator (it comes with AVStoDVD package) using 'Tools'/'Manipulate SUP or VobSub' section: check subs integrity and save to SUP format.
    2. Import the SUP subtitles file in AVStoDVD.
    Unfortunately IDX/SUB converted to SUP by SubtitleCreator command line are rejected by Muxman. Instead SubtitleCreator conversion with the GUI is OK.

Q5.6 I am trying to process IDX/SUB subtitles and resulting colors are messed up. How can I do?
    A: IDX/SUB subtitles are already in raster format and the colors palette map may differ from DVD to DVD.
    After creating the DVD with the messed up colors, open it with PgcEdit, edit the main Title PGC, locate the wrong colors in the Color Lookup Table, usually foreground color and outline color, sometimes the background color too, and change them to the desired colors. Save DVD and check if the colors are now fixed.
    Quote Quote