VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. muffinman123
    what is the difference between 16:9 and 2.39:1? what is stored in the raw video format aspect ratio in a bluray?

I have been wondering, does narrower aspect ratio lose information on the width? or does wider aspect ratio lose information on the height?

when I rip videos, should I choose the widest aspect ratio to get as much video information as possible?
    Quote Quote  
  2. 16:9 is 1.78:1
    2.39:1 is 2.39:1

Most widescreen movies are wider than 16:9. Only made-for-TV stuff is 16:9. You should maintain the correct aspect ratio when you convert videos.
    Quote Quote  
  3. muffinman123
    so does bluray store the widest possible aspect ratio, and then cut out the sides when showing in a narrower aspect ratio?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Blu-ray only supports 16:9 widescreen. Any video that's wider than that will be letterboxed within the 16:9 frame. For example, a 2.35:1 movie will occupy about 1920x816 of the 1920x1080 frame. The rest will be black borders.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    If you are getting you titles from rips, etc, you should be doing as close to a 1:1 unconverted rip as possible for the best quality. So DON'T start cropping. As jagabo mentioned, all BDs only support 16:9 (at least for the HD material), so all those movies that are wider AR than that (the great majority) will have mild letterboxing - leave them letterboxed!

Scott
    Quote Quote