VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Recently, Java updated itself on my system. And ever since that update occurred, my offline version of the bitrate calculator won't work. Whenever I open it, I get an error note saying "Application Blocked by Security Settings." Then, when I went to the "online" calculator, I got a similar message ... but IT gave me the choice to ignore the "threat" and allow it to open.

Alas, no such luck with the offline calculator. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Regards,
    J. Alec West
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe time to find another calculator? Like fitcd.

I will not update my old java calculator. It's the java plugin that is pure crap...probably because of too many security issues.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also try BitrateCalc.1.1,works without java.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    That's what you get for letting software update itself.

And to make things worse, Java 7 still sucks.

Over here, "Java 6 update 27" hasn't given me any headaches so far.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by AlecWest View Post
    Recently, Java updated itself on my system. And ever since that update occurred, my offline version of the bitrate calculator won't work.
    What's your operating system?

The offline version of BitRate calculator, 1.0.36 (File Version: 1.0.0.36), works with Java v7u21 on Windows XP SP3.

Regarding your error message, you may find an answer here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Application+Blocked+by+Security+Settings
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've found something that works well without Java - called Mark's DVD Bitrate Calculator. Like most other freeware bitrate calculators, it's no longer being developed. So, after trying it (successfully), I put the setup program up on one of my sites permanently for anyone to download:

http://novelhost.net/MarksDVDBitrate.exe (671k)

It's not a standalone program ... it's an installer. But after installed, and if you want a clickable icon on your desktop, you'll have to go to the program's 32-bit directory - Program Files (x86) - and create a shortcut. Presets support all types of disc sizes from CD to BluRay - but users can specify their own desired disc size, too. I think it would be a great addition to the VideoHelp "tools" section. But, that's up to the honchos here.

P.S. I'm running Windows 7 but the program seems simple enough to run on XP (or possibly earlier operating systems). Java is not required. But, it's "possible" that NetFramework (version ???) is. Or, maybe not. I don't know since I have the latest version installed on my system and I don't see any issues.

Regards,
    J. Alec West
    Last edited by AlecWest; 13th Nov 2014 at 04:29.
    Quote Quote