VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi to everyone and first of all excuse me for my poor English.
    I have a question about 3d Bluray reauthoring.
    i did a lot of 2d blu-ray reathouring following a guide that i found on this fantasric site, (using Multiavchd to remove unwanted extras and languages and br-rebuilder to fit the size in 25 gb) with fantastic results.
    Last month i bought a 3d Monitor and my first 3d Bluray (Life of Pi).
    I have read a lot of posts about 3d ripping so i downloaded the trial of DVDFAB that if i understood rightly, is the only tool to manage correctly 3d blu-ray for resizing.
    I shrinked the 3d bluray with good result but i couldn't remove any extra: Can Multiavchd make the work as it does for 2d Bluray?
    Does some other tool exist that make it for 3d bluray?
    Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    No there is not. Not consumer-based anyway.

I just recently found DVD-Logic's "BD Reauthor Pro 3D" a tool that de-constructs the structure of a BD and loads that structure into a Scenarist authoring session, allowing the use of (of course UNENCRYPTED) existing on-disc materials in order to re-organize an authoring design. Very cool. But not cheap.
    €3000, plus you need to already have a legit copy of Scenarist (at least $6000).

The only other (inexpensive) way I know to work with 3D materials is to use 3DBDBuster or DVDFab and rip+convert to dual files/streams and then re-encode to MVC and author an all-new disc using either Vegas Pro or PowerDirector.

IIRC, Multiavchd only supports 2D, not 3D. I still do not have any assurance that DVDFab has correctly done their work on 3DBD50->3DBD25, either.

I'm curious, why do you need to re-author? Can't you make use of the ISO (or converted files)?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First of all, thank you for your answer!
    Using your first option seems to be the most interesting but it's also really expensive to realize a backup of a blu-ray disc...
    My idea is to remove the unwanted material so DVDFAB can work with more space for the main movie.
    So i can also preserve the menus.
    It's same reasoning that i use for 2d bluray(Multiavchd - br Rebuilder) or for DVD (dvd Remake - DVD Rebuilder)
    Does exist some other way to obtain it?

PS Yesterday I saw the Bluray 3d obtained with DVDFAB: it's ok
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You didn't say you wanted a "backup", you said you wanted to do "re-authoring". 2 completely different things (though the 2nd sometimes relies on the ability to do the first).

Backup is easy: Decrypt + Rip whole disc 1:1 (IOW, if the disc is 50GB, your ISO is 50GB). This is what DVDFab does.
    "Removing unwanted material" is NOT possible during a 1:1 backup, and with 3DBD, you can NOT do other kinds of backups without LOSING QUALITY.

DVDFab also advertises that it can do a 50GB rip + shrink to 25GB ISO, while retaining the structure and/or quality. While this has been advertised for months now, I know of NO ONE that I trust to be objective who can verify that it actually works. Regardless, you cannot bypass the laws of physics & computer encoding: "Filesize = Bitrate * Runtime" and "Quality // Bitrate" (is proportionate with), so if you keep the runtime the same and lower the size, you are therefore lowering the bitrate and therefore lowering the quality. False advertising, I say.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you again!
    Excuse me but i didn't probably explain very well my target.
    I'm simply searching a way to realize for 3d bluray what i do for 2d bluray: Whit Multiavchd i remove (blank) unwanted extras and languages obtaining a "lighter" Blu-ray and after i shrink to 25 gb with Bluray Rebuilder.
    At this moment i know if i make a full backup of 3d bluray i need a 50 gb Bluray or i lose quality if i point to a 25 Gb shrinked bluray with dvdfab.
    With DVDFAB i can only do a fullbackup of 3d bluray.
    But if i could remove extras and start from a lighter 3d bluray to use in DVDFAB, as i do for 2d bluray with Bluray rebuilder, i had more space, and, i think, more quality for the main movie .
    I apologize again for my english that probably doesn't allow me to explain what i mean.
    I did only a 3d Backup (Life of Pi) with dvdfab and i didn't see problems: what kind of problems i should find in 3d backup?
    Thank you a lot again and excuse me for the waste of time
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    OK, I want to get it real clear here. Which DVDFab module did you use for that "3D Backup"? Was it just DVDFabHDdecrypter? Or DVDFabBlurayCopy? Or DVDFabBlu-rayRipper(3DPlus)? etc...

And, did you backup the WHOLE 3DBD untouched? or did you remove/adjust items?

And, did you end up with a BD50-sized disc? Or a BD25-sized disc?

And, does the BACKUP disc play correctly (from start to finish) in your settop?

And, does it AUTOMATICALLY engage the correct 3D layout mode (aka without you having to manually "turn on" your 3D)?

I'd be curious to see what the disc structure of the resulting backup is, and how the filesizes compare between original & backup (which files, and what sizes).

Maybe you have shown DVDFab to have fixed the 3DBD problems, maybe not.

One good way to see how they may have reworked this is to compare the backup's visual in a 2D player compared to a 3D player. If the backup is truly using MVC, you should see a standard 2D picture in a 2D player (sent to a 3DTV). If the backup is converting to AVC using SbS/TaB layouts, you will see one of those layouts directly in the 2D player's playback.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi again.
    I used DVDFABBlurayCopy tool and i did whole 3dbd backup (my question is if it's possible personalize this backup, skipping extras and languages).
    The target size is BD 25gb.
    I played the main movie from start to finish and it's ok.
    i didn't check extras but i will do as soon as i can.
    I played the backup on my pc and on my Mediacenter both with whit Arcsoft Totalmedia theatre 5 and 3d layout is correctly revealed.
    If i turn off 3d, i can see the movie in 2d mode: sorry but i don't have a standalone bluray player.
    I will post the backup filestructure as soon as possible.
    Thank you again for your time
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I just want to add this as we know that others will find this thread in the future and look at it for information. What I am going to say is not very helpful to the original poster but it might be of use to others who find this thread.

Currently Disney makes 3D BluRays like no other studio. We've had reports that no rippers work correctly on their discs. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's been said. Disney 3D BD discs are NOT compatible at all with 2D BD players as the discs will refuse to play to such players. It may be that the disc can theoretically play on 2D players and thus conform to the spec for 3D BD which requires this but the discs are definitely set up to test if a player is a 3D BD player and to refuse to play on such players. They produce a message that says that you need a 3D player to play the disc. Disney also puts their 3D content on a separate BD disc that only contains other 3D content. The 2D BD version is available on its own disc. Maybe Disney really does not make 3D BD discs that conform to the specifications. For years their DVDs have not used the official DVD industry logo and the rumor is that Disney's bad sector copy protection (which they developed themselves) makes their DVDs not conform to DVD specifications so they can't use the logo. So frandan, if you try to use Disney 3D BD discs in the future you may have problems that other discs won't have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by frandan View Post
    Hi again.
    I used DVDFABBlurayCopy tool and i did whole 3dbd backup (my question is if it's possible personalize this backup, skipping extras and languages).
    The target size is BD 25gb.
    I played the main movie from start to finish and it's ok.
    i didn't check extras but i will do as soon as i can.
    I played the backup on my pc and on my Mediacenter both with whit Arcsoft Totalmedia theatre 5 and 3d layout is correctly revealed.
    If i turn off 3d, i can see the movie in 2d mode: sorry but i don't have a standalone bluray player.
    I will post the backup filestructure as soon as possible.
    Thank you again for your time
    Well, that answered SOME of my questions, but not others.

DVDFabBlu-rayCopy - Check
    Whole Disc Backup - Check
    Final Disc Capacity, 25GB - Check
    Movie plays correctly on Settop - Settop not used
    Movie Automatically engages - sounds like 3D is appropriate, but not at all clear whether was auto-engaged
    How disc plays via 2D-only player (either settop or software) - not tested

My guess is that the DVDFab people rip and then re-encode to SbS AVC but include the SEI messaging, so that a 3D player will still work with it as 3D, but a 2D player would reveal that it ISN'T truly an MVC file (with 2D-compatible main image).

@jman98,
    From what I know of the MVC/3DBD/SSIF technology, Disney 3D discs are ONLY marked as "play only on 3D". They shouldn't be truly incompatible (where the Main Image of the MVC isn't a standard 2D image). This could be marketing-only thing, or it could be that, since 3D titles often make use of floating stereoscopic windows, this would show in 2D as a weird dynamic cropping+padding activity, which might freak some consumers, and Disney is just avoiding any ensuing problems/complaints by providing a separate plain 2D version. I would guess that a backup that removed the "3d only" flag, would play fine on a 2d player, but we'll just have to wait for a Disney-phile VH user to get back to us...

Scott

<edit>I guess one way to tell what DVDFab is doing is to see how LONG it takes to do the "backup to 25GB" vs the "backup to 50GB" if the former takes WAYYYY longer, it problably is re-encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you jman98 for the warning.
    I will buy next month the last 3d Bluray of Disney (ralph Spaccatutto in italian: i don't know the original title ) and i will try....
    For Cornucopia, i tried disabling 3d on Totalmedia and it starts in a different way, showing different intro and different menu choices.
    if i try to start the 3d movie it says that i need a 3d bluray player.
    In attachment i send the directories structure of the edited 3d bluray.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by frandan; 27th Apr 2013 at 13:56.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    (Wreck-it Ralph?)

@frandan, I looked at that "edited" files list. How is that even edited? It is still 44GB! (see next to last line). Clearly not able to fit on a 25GB disc, unless something is being mis-reported.

AFA player, try playing the core M2TS files (at least 4 in alphabetical order - especially the LARGER ones) and SSIF files (same numbering) in VLC, Virtualdub, etc. That will show you whether the file is MVC Main (playable as standard nice 2D image), MVC Dependent (not playable), or AVC stream (playable as either nice 2D image or as SbS/TaB split-screen 2D image).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The directory structure comes from the burned 25 gb Bluray!
    In attachment the property of the iso obtained from dvdfab and burned to 25 gb BD.
    i printed directory structure with "dir /s >filename.txt".
    Sorry i don't understand very well your last explanation: In my situation what kind of structure is?
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	lifepi.jpg
Views:	4896
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	17598  

Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Backup is easy: Decrypt + Rip whole disc 1:1 (IOW, if the disc is 50GB, your ISO is 50GB). This is what DVDFab does.
    "Removing unwanted material" is NOT possible during a 1:1 backup, and with 3DBD, you can NOT do other kinds of backups without LOSING QUALITY.
    Scott

Thought I'd bring an update to the thread, since it is still appearing quite popular on google.

makeMKV lets you select the wanted chapters and or audio/subtitles and so on, creating a single 3D mkv file as output. This file has no loss since no conversion is done to the video. From a 50gig bluray I usually end up with a file of about 30-35GB when extras are removed.
    Quote Quote