VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm needing a bigger external drive for backing up images of my computer and I was wondering what you guys thought of this Fantom drive...I wouldn't be running it all the time maybe once a month for an image http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822204105&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL041813...22204105-L012C

In general I wasn't sure how stable 3TB's were and what brand Fantom was probably using.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Fortunately this has a power supply for enclosure. That is always a good thing.

I'm not familiar with this brand off hand but one of my colleagues at work says 3 TB drives have been fine for him. If you're just using it for backups and not going to attach to it some kind of media player, you should be fine. It's unclear to me at present how well or how poorly various media players that can play from USB devices support these 3 TB drives.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Best Buy has a 3TB Toshiba on sale for $120 this week. Lower price, bigger name brand and same warranty (3 years). $40/TB for 2TB & 3TB drives is the current norm (Best Buy has a couple of 2TB drive for $80 this week) and as low as $35/TB for 4TB drive ($140 4TB drives are popping up now and then).

Unless you're planning to remove the drive from the case as use it as an internal, the USB connection will be the limiting factor in the transfer speed. As for reliability of the drive itself, there are numerous threads about hard drive reliability. In a nutshell, 3TB drives are mature technololgy (with 4TB drives now readily avaliable) and it's never a question of IF the drive will fail, but WHEN. Shop by warranty length and backup your backup!

As for media player compatibility, I have my 3TB externals partioned as 2TB and 1TB with no issues on my WDTV Live Plus and Seagate Home Theatre.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys I will do some more research and then decide. While the Toshiba gets good reviews at Best Buy he gets so, so reviews at newegg and Toshiba is known for poor support but I do like the price. Apparently in this price range external drives are only 5700RPM assumed they were 7200RPM.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've had a couple external 2TB Fantom drives on eSATA for a few years and they've been rock solid. Wish I could say the same for my WD USB 3.0 4TB drives, which are a little flaky, occasionally disconnecting. I still prefer eSATA to USB 3.0, for use with installed PCI cards, anyway. Perhaps newer, straight-from-the-motherboard USB 3.0 computers are better, I don't know.
    Quote Quote