VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey there, I found a few mkv files on my hard drive that are 40gb+ in size.

I believe they are the exact video from the Blu Ray: AVC video.
    The audio is the same from source.
    Subtitles are mixed srt and PGS.
    Chapters are also preserved.

So if I understand it correctly MKV is a container, just like m2ts. So the inside of this container is the same as the source.

My question is, how do I get all this and create a burnable blu ray?

One more thing, which software can I use to re encode video only after demuxing the mkv. I want to be able to fit this movie inside a BD25. I need some software that are able to 2 Passes so I can preserve quality.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Veggav View Post
    One more thing, which software can I use to re encode video only after demuxing the mkv. I want to be able to fit this movie inside a BD25. I need some software that are able to 2 Passes so I can preserve quality.
    First mux your MKV to Blu-Ray structure using tsMuxer.

Then point BDRebuilder to your folder with the muxed BD inside and re-encode to BD25. Go to the developer's website (linked on tool page) to get the ancillary programs in the correct versions and also to find out how to configure everything. It's not difficult, but take the time to do that. Once set up correctly, nothing beats BDRB for what you want to do.

Burn with ImgBurn only.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You can even import mkvs directly in bdrebuilder now. BUt I haven't tried it.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    You can even import mkvs directly in bdrebuilder now. BUt I haven't tried it.
    Oh yeah, you're right. Now I recall reading that in a change log.

I wonder if BDRB can get chapter timings from an MKV though? If necessary, one can input custom timings in tsMuxer or just set 5 minute chapters automatically.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. WOW, so many replies, thank you guys.

I'm familiar with BD Rebuilder and I have the latest version, didn't knew you could just use a mkv to BDRB and it would work, thank you for this tip.

I'll try the more secure way with tsmuxer.

I was just wondering about chapters, is there a way to rip those and import?
    Or when I output it as a blu ray structure with tsmuxer I'll get the chapters already on the mpls files?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    tsmuxer has a tab that covers chapters and I know you can cut and paste the chapter timings into it. I'm not sure if you can import it, but cutting and pasting definitely works.

I didn't know BDRB could do that with MKV files either, but I have no interest in using it for that.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'll try that tonight on my notebook and I'll post the results for someone that might be interested or just for future register for someone that might google the same thing as me.

Thank you all for your support.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Sorry to bump but I was wondering which software is able to extract the chapters from a complete blu ray structure (BDMV + Certificate)?

I mean to extract it in plain text so I can paste on tsmuxer.

When I open a blu ray m2ts on tsmuxer I can't see the chapters.
    Quote Quote  
  10. If you use MediaInfo on the original MKV, it will list the chapter timings, if present. Use tree view or text or HTML to see the timings, at the bottom.

I've never tried what you're proposing, since I only have MKVs I've made myself.

From the looks of the MediaInfo chapter listings, the timings are in the correct layout for tsMuxer to accept them. Or anyway, the left-hand portion of each line listing. Like this: "00:00:00.000". You can copy/paste from there. One at a time certainly, or all of them at once, then deleting the extra stuff on each line.

No doubt someone has an easier and more elegant way to do it and will post it.
    Last edited by fritzi93; 22nd Apr 2013 at 19:38.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. This isn't exactly what I wanted.

I'm searching for a software that can look into mpls or whatever holds the chapters in the blu ray structure and copy it to a plain text or tsmuxer.
    I'm not considering mkv anymore.

I believe m2ts files inside an original/official blu ray doesn't hold the chapters information, they are somewhere in the blu ray structure.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I thought the whole point of this thread was to get an MKV into BD structure?

If what you want is the chapter timings of a Blu-Ray, that's easy. Use BDInfo to identify the playlist file (mpls) for the titleset you want. Longest title listed first. Load the mpls into tsMuxer and there they will be, in chapter timings under the Blu-Ray tab.

Anyway, I just tried loading one of my MKVs into tsMuxer and it will identify chapter timings in an MKV alright.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  13. it worked )

Thank you fritzi! BDInfo is amazing!
    Quote Quote