VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Greetings from North East England.

I am new to the forum and have a few questions.

I am employed as a driver for a high ranker in the armed forces, so I am waiting around a lot of the time for him at functions etc.

I have a portable blu ray player to ease the boredom, but obviously I don't want to take my original discs on the road with me.

Is it possible to create an exact replica of a blu ray disc including chapters/extras etc of the same quality and burn it to a blank Blu Ray Disc?

If yes what software would I require and what size discs should I be looking at buying?

Grateful for any advice
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, if your portable blu-ray supports bdr media.

You need a blu-ray writer, mostly 50GB bdr dl media(expensive!) and a blu-ray ripper like anydvdhd or dvdfab.

Another option would be to shrink the blu-ray to a bdr 25gb or dvdr dl size with bd rebuilder. You will lose quality but you can keep chapters, extra material. And your portable player must then support blu-ray on dvd.

A third option would be to check if your player supports data mp4,mkv files and you can put all movies on a bdr or a usb hdd. No menus,etc then.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 22nd Apr 2013 at 09:41.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Yes, if your portable blu-ray supports bdr media.

You need a blu-ray writer, mostly 50GB bdr dl media(expensive!) and a blu-ray ripper like anydvdhd or dvdfab.

Another option would be to shrink the blu-ray to a dvdr dl with bd rebuilder. You will lose quality but you can keep chapters, extra material. And your portable player must then support blu-ray on dvd.

A third option would be to check if your player supports data mp4,mkv files and you can put all movies on a bdr or a usb hdd. No menus,etc then.
    Thanks for the quick response.

You are right, 50gb BDR dl media is expensive!! just checked

How much of the gb of a blu ray is taken up by different languages, could i remove them but still have the menu's, chapters etc to shrink it down to 25gb, don't want to lose any quality
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Portable players are rather infamous for being fussy so be careful whatever you do.

I am puzzled by Baldrick's suggestion to use BD Rebuilder to shrink down to DVD size instead of encouraging you to use it to shrink to single layer BD-R size. As far as I know, he is just incorrect in telling you that you can use BD Rebuider to keep EVERYTHING from a BluRay disc on a DVD+R DL disc. You can use it to shrink the main movie down, but I don't think it will let you keep extras and if it can actually build a DVD menu based on the BluRay menu, well, that's the first I've ever heard of this ability, but I've never tried that to be fair.

Note that some BD-R discs are made as LTH type discs, which are cheaper than normal BD-R. LTH discs may be a problem for a portable so unless you are sure that they will work you should probably be safe and just buy normal non-LTH BD-R discs. LTH discs should always be labeled as such. Verbatim makes the best BD discs and you should buy those if you can find them to have the best chance for success with your portable player.

It's possible that removing extra languages will enable you to get the movie down to 25 GB, but it's not likely. Most of the time the individual movie alone without any sound will still exceed 25 GB, but that's up to the person who did the encode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    jman98: I mean that you can shrink the blu-ray to a dvd9 size in blu-ray/avchd structure using bd rebuilder. You can also shrink it to 25GB size or whatever size you like. Updated the post.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    jman98: I mean that you can shrink the blu-ray to a dvd9 size in blu-ray/avchd structure using bd rebuilder. You can also shrink it to 25GB size or whatever size you like. Updated the post.
    I think I will just extract the movie, quality is more important than the menu's chapters etc, should a movie alone fit on a 25gb disc easily?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yeah I would just take the main movie and use BD Rebuilder to fit it on a single-layer Blu Ray disc (25gb).

Whether or not it will fit depends on the movie. I have some that will and some that won't. All I keep is the main movie and the high bit rate lossy audio (640kbps AC3 5.1 or 1.5Mbps DTS 5.1) and even there sometimes it's over 25gb.

Personally I like DVDFab for this chore, but BD Rebuilder is free.
    Last edited by hogger129; 25th Apr 2013 at 08:09.
    Quote Quote