VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all

I had a bunch of TV programs on my dvr. I used a IGrabber (USB) to rip them from the dvr. They all seem to have ripped fine. But when I went and converted them to mpg files they only will fill about 2/3 of the screen (42"Plasma Panasonic). I can either convert to 4:3 or 16:9 but they both only fill the 2/3 of the screen. I have tried several different ways to convert using Sony Vegas and or Xilisoft. Also tried DVD lab Pro 2. But I still can't get the videos to use the full screen. It doesn't matter if 4:3 or 16:9 just as long they use all the scrren. I know there will be black bars top and bottom in 16:9 but still should use the 42" just with the black bars. Or use 4:3 and get no black bars and get full screen. I have used the aspect ration button on my tv remote, and also DVD remote no help there.

I'm guessing I'm missing a setting in Vegas or Xilisoft. But I've checked and played with all the settings and still can't get the use of the full screen. All this is just with the stuff off the dvr. Cable TV and normal dvd's work fine.

I've converted the videos to 4:3, 16:9, pan and scan but no help! I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction!

When I ripped them of the dvr I set it up to rip at full resolution so the files are pretty big most are about 5mbit some are higher. So If I have to cut it down some they picture quality shouldn't be too bad as long as I don't have to go too low. Like I said I have Vegas 10, Xilisoft converter 9, DVD Lab Pro 2.

Any help would be appreciated!!

If you need more info please let me know, remember I'm just a newbie in this stuff so a little hand holding maybe necessary.

Brad
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A 4:3 video will NEVER fill a tv screen (assuned to be widescreen) - you will always get black bars left and right. If there are also black bars top and bottom then it is likely that the original video had them - some kind of letterboxing.

Again, a pure 16:9 video WILL fill the screen unless again the aspect ratio of the original was greater eg 2.40:1. Then you will get black bars top and bottom.

But we can only summise. If you post a screen cap of the original videos BEFORE conversion and download mediainfo and post a report of each one we will have a better idea of how to assist.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    A 4:3 video will NEVER fill a tv screen (assuned to be widescreen)
    Sure it can!

In the land of squished munchkins.

Unfortunately, too many people in my life think this is "much better".
    That's when waves of nausea overcome me.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all

I will attach a screen cap, and the media file info. But one problem though. I don't have the original file before convert. The closest I have is a .vob file which was a convert from the original. I know I screwed up should have kept the originals until I was completely done at least!! Anyway I hope these will help. If not what I will do is record something on the dvr again probably from paladia. Then keep the original file and try this again.

Thanks for your help!!!

Brad
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot Of Sade Display.png
Views:	1003
Size:	149.2 KB
ID:	17443  

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you encode using Format Factory? It's Free, and may produce a different result.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you use VLC to watch them? You can set Aspect Ratio and Crop to fix that.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	vlc crop.png
Views:	985
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	17447
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Here we go again.

You have used a standard definition (and very cheap) capture device to get a 2:3 standard definition video. That's another way of saying it's 4:3. Where did you read that svideo and composite outputs can carry HD signals? They can't.
    Originally Posted by bradf58 View Post
    When I ripped them of the dvr I set it up to rip at full resolution so the files are pretty big most are about 5mbit some are higher.
    5mbit? is that a typo? "5mbit" is about 2 or 3 seconds of DVD video, if that much.

MediaInfo says the bitrate of your video is a really stingy target bitrate of 2500. You are working with video, not with WinZIP. It will look like garbage. And as it's re-encoded video, it will look like badly re-encoded garbage.

Nothing personal intended here, but there are too many posts on this subject to go over the whole business again and again. If you want HD from your HD cable box, get something like a Hauppauge HD PVR, hook up your cable box component outputs to the PVR, plug your PVR into a computer, and capture HD. That, or something similar, is the only way it will happen properly.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 28th Mar 2014 at 19:44.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by bradf58 View Post
    I will attach a screen cap, and the media file info. But one problem though. I don't have the original file before convert. The closest I have is a .vob file which was a convert from the original. I know I screwed up should have kept the originals until I was completely done at least!! Anyway I hope these will help. If not what I will do is record something on the dvr again probably from paladia. Then keep the original file and try this again.
    Hi Brad, this is my first post here so bear with me if it's like the blind leading the blind.

First of all, I see from the text file attached that you're getting a Oops! I mean 480p ED video stream. This is the best you're likely to get from a copy protected system. If you were hoping to get HD video from your DVR, you're out of luck unless your DVR specifically supports it. In the case of my TiVo DVRs, I can use TiVo Desktop and VideoReDo TVSuite to download encrypted .TiVo files to my PC and convert them to plain MPEG-2 video files, in that order. If your (unnamed) DVR does have similar utilities, you might want to use them to keep everything in the digital domain.

I notice from the attached file that you have a setting: "Display aspect ratio ... : 3:2". This is probably at the root of your problem, or maybe not. From reading that file I can see that you have a 720x480 progressive scan picture. For normal standard definition TV programming, the correct aspect ratio for that picture will be 3:4, which is the non-wide screen of an old-fashioned TV set. However there's the anamorphic format, which is used to save wide screen video on standard definition formats like DVD. The IGrabber may have detected a wide screen picture, and flagged it for anamorphic playback, which is why your display aspect ratio is 3:2 instead of 1:1.

The question is whether the stretching of the picture is correct or not. Since Palladia is a HD channel, my guess is that the anamorphic settings are correct, and that the letterboxing that is evident in the attached photo is because you're using a 4:3 or 5:4 display for your computer, and possibly your TV.

Is your TV a wide screen set, or is it more square? Some early plasma sets have the traditional 4:3 aspect ratio, and will display HD video with letterboxing. If it's a wide screen set, then you might try playing with input settings to see if one of them displays your video the way you like. A more permanent solution is to change the playback aspect ratio of the video file so that it displays the way you want it on your TV set.

EDIT: Do you recall the format of the original file that you no longer have?
    Last edited by NTSC Refugee; 23rd Apr 2013 at 10:29.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey NTSC refugee and All

Sorry I haven't been very forth coming with info! I've been having a lot of health issues lately is my only excuse.

First

TV
    Panasonic TH-42px60U, WS,HD.
    It has 4:3, Zoom, Full, Justified, H-Fill for aspect ratios.

All videos will be played on the Panasonic. I only use the PC for conversions and setup of menus if needed.

DVR Box

Motorola DCH 6416

The version of the Igrabber I have is only 640x480 capture at 29.97fps.

If I had the 150-200 bucks laying around I would have gotten the Hercules capture card. But the Igrabber cheap on sale for 15 bucks.
    I figured once I got the videos on the pc I would convert to 720x480. I'm not looking for HD quality or I would have gotten the Hercules. I'm just looking for a way to stretch the videos so they will fit the screen, I do realize that they may have the bars on the top and bottom that's 16:9 but at least it should fir the full screen. I know if we can get it stretched I will loose quality of the Picture. But the original bitrate of capture was at 5mbit or 5000 what ever you prefer not the files size. The file sizes are anywhere from 1 gig to about 9 gig. Depending on length of capture. I figure if there was any copy protection involved they would not have given me a box with live USB, and Firewire ports! Or I figure all the captures would be unreadable at capture time. I have in the past used a firewire cable and connect it to the dvr box and was able to get the videos off that way, but didn't have the software to convert the files I think they had a .ts extension. So I gave up there and later picked the Igrabber up.

I'm afraid you guys got me on the aspect ratio thing it makes almost no sense to me. I never said I was a video geek! I do have Xilisoft conversion software, and Sony Vegas Movie Platinum. So I can get the videos converted to what ever I need. I also downloaded format factory classfour mentioned. But It hasn't worked in my case.

The original videos were captured at 640x480 @ 29.97. Should I convert them back to the original and start over? What would I have to set the aspect ratio at to get it to fit the screen? It doesn't matter to me with or without the bars on top and bottom or no bars at all.
    Either one will work for me as long as the video utilizes the full screen one way or the other.

Also I have noticed I downloaded a youtube video the other day and it filled my monitor screen, then just for the heck of it I converted it to 720x480 @ 29.97fps and it fit my tv screen! But can't for the like of me figure out what the deal is there. It was not HD but it wasn't that bad of a picture I could watch it on my 42" without a problem and no waste of screen space!

So what is the bottom line? Am I stuck with this until I get around the money to upgrade my capture device? Or is there a way to convert/stretch the videos to fit? I do understand there will be a cut in quality of the picture at least, I understand that much!

Thanks
    for all of you input here and dealing with a total dummy at this stuff!

Brad
    Quote Quote  
  10. Of course there's a way to get your video to fill the screen. You can stretch and/or crop it. As Sanlyn said, there are many many threads here regarding that. But if it's playing with the correct aspect ratio you should just learn to live with black borders. Do you complain about the curtains covering the unused portion of the screen when you go a movie theater?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't go to movie theaters! Why do you think I'm doing this? If I wanted to go to the movie theater I would just go buy a HD capture card, what the cost of two trips to the movie theater these days!!!!

I'll go check out the forum about stretching video's!

Unless you have something nice to say how about not saying anything!!!

Brad
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There's no way to fill a 16:9 screen with 4:3 video without distorting the image or removing parts of it thru zoom-and-crop.

CinemaScope, wide Panavision, VistaVision, and a lot of other movies won't fill your screen either. Hollywood doesn't make 16:9 movies.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do know about the letter boxing or the black bars on top and bottom, most movie today are that way. Which in my book sucks, but in my case the video's only use up about 60 percent of the screen on the right and left, I know about the bars on top and bottom I just don't get what's going on, on the right or left sides. I too have the carribbean movies and the such I get the black bars on the top and bottom there too but NOT on the sides too!!!!! And we are talking wiiiiidddddeeeeee bars here! So now I lose not only the picture at top and bottom but 60 percent of the screen on the right and left!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    As I and others have said, Hollywood is doing everything possible to foil your efforts. The digital transition has less to do with picture quality and more to do with Big Brother's profits.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate that this capture device is cheap but I have read of others that capture at 640*480.

So I wonder is this a limitation of the device or of the capture software ?

Would it be worth trying other software ?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The device you mention is a standard definition device (4:3, or 640x480). The DVR you mention will not output HD thru its composite or s-video outputs, which can't transmit HD. Your cable box won't output HD thru those outputs, either. You can't use HDMI because of HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection). The only outputs that will give you HD from your cable box or DVR are the component outputs. Likely those, too, will have some form of copy protection enabled. That would require a device that uses component signals and ignores copy protection -- such as a Hauppauge HD PVR or similar device. In that case you don't "copy" a DVR video to a computer, you re-record it thru the PVR to a computer. I've seen other ways of doing it, notably via Firewire (or see nradf58's earlier post), but what you have to go through is mind-boggling.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by bradf58 View Post
    Sorry I haven't been very forth coming with info! I've been having a lot of health issues lately is my only excuse.
    I'm with you on that! My current health condition means that I can't work, and without a good daily structure, I sometimes tend to drift. Maybe it's what old age is?

Panasonic TH-42px60U, WS,HD.

All videos will be played on the Panasonic. I only use the PC for conversions and setup of menus if needed.
    According to my research, your TV has a native resolution of 1024x768, so you may want to experiment with scaling the output video to match the native resolution of the set. OTOH you don't want to be stuck with videos made for an oddball resolution when you get a different TV. That's why I try to keep my original videos in their most raw form if possible. The more I learn, the more I can do with the original to make it look good on whatever the display device.

DVR Box
    Motorola DCH 6416
    While the box itself is capable of ATSC (1080i29.97) quality video, the analog outputs are listed as "NTSC", which is equivalent to a digital 640x480 interlaced, or 480i.

If I had the 150-200 bucks laying around I would have gotten the Hercules capture card. But the Igrabber cheap on sale for 15 bucks.
    Good thing you saved your money. A more costly care will not give you more resolution from the analog outputs. And because the box has HDCP, you're not going to get much better from its digital output either.

I have in the past used a firewire cable and connect it to the dvr box and was able to get the videos off that way, but didn't have the software to convert the files I think they had a .ts extension.
    Are you saying that you can mount your current Motorola DVR as a block device on your PC over IEEE-1394, and copy .ts (MPEG-2 transport stream) files directly from it? If that's the case, I'd work harder to work directly with those!!!

Try installing a good all-purpose player like VLC, and try to play the .ts files in it. If they play just fine, you can throw away your capture dongle and get real HD-quality video to use!

I'm afraid you guys got me on the aspect ratio thing it makes almost no sense to me.
    Here's a link that may help. I've seen discussion about the various types of aspect ratios discussed here. Maybe a more experienced member can point you to the right thread.

The original videos were captured at 640x480 @ 29.97. Should I convert them back to the original and start over?
    Yes, start over. But start by trying once more to copy and view the .ts files first!

Also I have noticed I downloaded a youtube video the other day and it filled my monitor screen, then just for the heck of it I converted it to 720x480 @ 29.97fps and it fit my tv screen! But can't for the like of me figure out what the deal is there. It was not HD but it wasn't that bad of a picture I could watch it on my 42" without a problem and no waste of screen space!
    That's part of the aspect ratio thing. If it works, you don't need to know how it works. But it can't hurt either...

So what is the bottom line? Am I stuck with this until I get around the money to upgrade my capture device? Or is there a way to convert/stretch the videos to fit? I do understand there will be a cut in quality of the picture at least, I understand that much!
    The bottom line from where I sit is to forget about capture devices for the time being, and find that IEEE-1394 cable! There's a chance that the digital video files may be encrypted, but I sort of doubt it. IME with TiVo and DISH DVRs, encrypted video files typically have proprietary file name extensions, or none at all.

1. Get your IEEE-1394 (Firewire) cable out, mount the DVR and copy over some of those .ts files.
    2. Try to open them in VLC on your computer to see if they play as-is.
    3. If they do play, use MediaInfo or a similar tool to see what the transport stream is made up of.
    4. Report back here what you found.

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey All

The software I've been using is not the original software that came with the IGrabber, that software doesn't play nice with Win 7. So I've been using something called AVS Video Recorder. It's free maybe that's a problem but don't have a lot of money to blow. If anyone has a better idea of a real cheap or free video recorder I'm all ears!

As for using the firewire cable I was able to get the files off the box with it but ended up with the .ts files and couldn't find anything that would convert them. That's not saying that I could find the software but couldn't find anything that would actually do the job. I always ended up with the software crashing or end up with the video not being readable. So I figured it was encrypted. That's were I ended up getting the IGrabber I figured 15 bucks if it didn't work than not a serious loss. But if I had went with the Hercules or something else at 150-200 + bucks that would have been a real big loss to me. So that's why I went with the Igrabber. I figured since I was able to get it to capture the video and the AVS Software was able to convert it to something other than the .ts I was good to go. I knew from the get go the picture wasn't going to be perfect but I'm not that much of a video geek and need the SUper HD stuff. Hell I'm not even using the HDMI port on the TV. Running it through a AUdio Video amp so I can hook up the DVD player, speakers (Bose 601's). If had gotten the Amp with HDMI ports that would have been another 150 bucks there. So you see I'm not really looking for an HD picture, I don't spend my life in front of my tv like some do. I spend more time in my woodshop or in front of this PC and play games or mess with this stuff.

Sorry got side tracked, so I will try again with the firewire cable, I still have the program that lets me access the dvr box. At this point I will have just the .ts files, so if you have a good idea of software that can handle the files. I have since gotten a coupkle of other conversion software maybe they will work.

It will be a couple of days before I'll be able to get back one way or the other. I have to go in for some stupid tests my doc. wants me to take. Then I have a project I need to finish up for the grand kids BD.

I just want to thank you guys again for your advise and help on this. Oh by the way I did go check on the forums here, it took about an hour to wade through some of the cr?? before I found anything useful about cropping video's, like with handbrake and a couple of other programs but as of yet haven't had a chance to try them. Don't know if it will be worth it or not if it totally blurs the video. But I will see.

Thanks again!!!!!!

Brad
    Last edited by bradf58; 23rd Apr 2013 at 20:01. Reason: Mixed up Hercules with Hauppage sorry about that
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by bradf58 View Post
    The software I've been using is not the original software that came with the IGrabber, that software doesn't play nice with Win 7. So I've been using something called AVS Video Recorder. It's free maybe that's a problem but don't have a lot of money to blow. If anyone has a better idea of a real cheap or free video recorder I'm all ears!
    FYI the capture device will support certain resolutions and frame rates, and changing your software can't alter that. It's hard-coded into the capture hardware. Step One is always to import the content using the best reasonable settings that the capture device supports. You can scale and crop as the next step...

As for using the firewire cable I was able to get the files off the box with it but ended up with the .ts files and couldn't find anything that would convert them.
    Again, the files should be able to be read by a lot of software, as long as it's actually the MPEG-2 transport stream that the filename extension implies. The first thing you want to do is verify that it's that. Like I said before, VLC will play .ts files. Try it.

I always ended up with the software crashing or end up with the video not being readable. So I figured it was encrypted.
    All the more reason to start at the first step and just try to play it first.

It's possible that the video is encoded. But the .ts extension gives me good reason to believe it's not. That particular container format is not associated with encrypted material. That's not to sat it's impossible, but if it is encrypted I doubt they'd bother with filename extensions at all. That's how it was with my DISH DVR at least.

Since I'm new and don't know the unwritten rules of the house, I'll be brief about the overall stability of your computer. If it's crashing, you may have a larger problem that needs to be addressed at the operating system level. I have (not video) software that crashes regularly, and the problem lies with a flaw in Windows Installer. I don't have those problems on my Linux box. But that's a matter for a separate, very thick book...

I figured since I was able to get it to capture the video and the AVS Software was able to convert it to something other than the .ts I was good to go. I knew from the get go the picture wasn't going to be perfect but I'm not that much of a video geek and need the SUper HD stuff. ... So you see I'm not really looking for an HD picture, I don't spend my life in front of my tv like some do.
    So why are you paying for HD content in the first place?

Aside from the fact that using the .ts files will be a LOT easier to deal with than doing analog to digital conversions and all the other things you want to do to make the resulting picture look just so. (If you really didn't care, you wouldn't be stuck on that detail, would you?) I think it's at least worth trying. And since you have expert guidance here, and also me, why not give it a shot?

Sorry got side tracked, so I will try again with the firewire cable, I still have the program that lets me access the dvr box. At this point I will have just the .ts files, so if you have a good idea of software that can handle the files. I have since gotten a coupkle of other conversion software maybe they will work.
    Download VLC, install it and use it to open one or more .ts files that you get from the DVR. I get automatic notifications of activity on this thread, so I'll know when you're back.

What kind of software is it that you're using to access the DVR box?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There are all sorts of reasons why a .ts will not play when transfered from a dvr

Rather than go in to detail now, I suggest that you make a short recording - 20 secs will be enough - on to your dvr, transfer the .ts file NOT the igrabbber capture to your PC and upload it here as an attachment.

You may even wish to do a few from different channels especially those that you think encrypt their broadcast or broadcast at 16:9.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    There are all sorts of reasons why a .ts will not play when transfered from a dvr

Rather than go in to detail now, I suggest that you make a short recording - 20 secs will be enough - on to your dvr, transfer the .ts file NOT the igrabbber capture to your PC and upload it here as an attachment.

You may even wish to do a few from different channels especially those that you think encrypt their broadcast or broadcast at 16:9.
    Hey, that's a great idea! Good to know someone is thinking around here. Why couldn't I have thought of that?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys

I'll have to go find the software first, it's on a backup disk somewhere just have to find it. Either sometime tonight or tomorrow night I will try to get some video off the box. I'll get something off Palladia some of that is in 16:9.

The only thing I'm trying to accomplish here is to get my videos to fit the screen better than they are now. It's a big pain to watch video on my 42" screen and the video only uses barely half of it. The actual video quality would have to get reduced quite a bit before I would give up.

I may just have to give up the idea for now, or I may say the heck with it and invest the 200 bucks on a hd capture box. I'd go with the card but I don't have a pc in the other room, just a laptop. So the box will have to do. But like I said the wife would kill me if I maxed out my cc card. So that's why I'm here. And getting the box now won't help with all the videos I have now. Some I could probably re-record over a few months. It took me about 6 months to get what I have now.

I gotta go for now my doc. appointment is in 20 min. Then I have to get back in my shop and finish the project for my grandkid.

I'll get back to ya in a day or so

Brad
    Quote Quote  
  23. If you're recording 16:9 sources via composite you probably have 16x9 video letterboxed in a 4:3 video. Then, of course, that 4:3 video is pillarboxed on playback so you have big black borders all around a small 16:9 picture. Just crop the black borders off the top and bottom, and encode with 16:9 DAR. You'll then get a big fuzzy picture that fills the screen when you play it. There are many threads here dealing with that.
    Last edited by jagabo; 24th Apr 2013 at 13:12.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey All

For refugree, and DB83

The software drivers for using a firewire cable with my dvr is for winXP ONLY. I have since moved to WIN 7 64 bit. My computer recognized the firewire cable and dvr, but would not let me go any further. Googled the heck out of it and it comes down to NO win7 support drivers and may never be. Acouple of programmers were talking about it. But neither decided to put the time into it. So as far as right now I won't be able to pull anything off the dvr via firewire. I was able to spend a little time tonight playing with Handbrake. I finally got it to work, gotta be smarter than the software I guess!! Anyway I did manage to get Handbrake to crop my video. Handbrake only converts to MP4 or one other I forgot what it is at the moment. So I had to turn right around and convert to MPG2. But after all that it looks pretty good on my TV and at full screen!! Yes it's not HD quality far from it actually but good enough for these old eyes. I still will upgrade to that Hauppage HD box when I can come up with the 160 bucks or so. But for now if all goes as earlier tonight I should have a lot of Handbraking to do.

Sure wish I had a Winxp machine that could handle the video stuff. I have an old Sony laptop around but it only has 512 megs of ram and that's not counting what the on-board video takes. Damn thing can only upgrade to 1 gig of ram. Figuring the graphics card and XP there would be nothing left for anything else. Right now it can barely handle XP. It would make a better Win98 machine!! SO at this point I don't know how much more anyone can help me here.

Unless of course anything anybody hears about someone coming up with drivers for the firewire cable and the motorola dch 6416 for WIN7 64 bit!! you guys were right about converting .ts files almost everything I have will do it. Just when I was trying it it was almost 2 years ago I didn't know squat about this stuff. Imagine that!!

Anyway, unless you all have anything else for me I'll leave you guys alone!

Thanks to all of you for your help!!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    May I ask what this 'software' is ?

It comes over as some form of network tool whereby you see the contents of the hdd on your dvr and copy to your local hdd.

Can you try loading Windows Explorer or whatever Win7 calls it to see if another drive is present when the cable is attached.? Or maybe I over-simplify this.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I believe he's talking about this software (firewire drivers and CapDVHS):

http://exdeus.home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

The dvr does not appear as a network device or a drive. You just capture the data stream as the dvr plays the video.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I believe he's talking about this software (firewire drivers and CapDVHS):

http://exdeus.home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

The dvr does not appear as a network device or a drive. You just capture the data stream as the dvr plays the video.
    Thanks for the links.

Interesting that on the driver page it states that Win7 is supported.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I think the OP's problem was that 64 bit Win 7 (and 64 bit XP) isn't supported.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I think the OP's problem was that 64 bit Win 7 (and 64 bit XP) isn't supported.
    Ok. I did read that he uses Win7 64. Now I will confess that I know f... all about 64 bit systems but I do recall reading on here that you can install 32 bit drivers etc on a 64 bit system (not the other way around) so I am clearly missing something here.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I do recall reading on here that you can install 32 bit drivers etc on a 64 bit system (not the other way around)
    You can run 32 bit programs on 64 bit Windows but you cannot install 32 bit drivers. 64 bit Windows requires 64 bit drivers. This was one of the major problems with 64 bit Windows until recently -- there weren't any 64 bit drivers for a lot of hardware.
    Quote Quote