VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I´m capturing a large number of VHS-tapes and produce uncompressed avifiles for further, and final, edit in Adobe Premiere Elements or MAGIX Movie Edit Pro MX, where I produce DVD-files (VIDEO_TS: vobfiles ...).

Are there any advantages using Virtualdub before editing the avifiles in Adobe/MAGIX, that is using Virtualdubfilters (color, sharpen, brightness etc) and let Virtualdub produce uncompressed avifiles, which I use as inputfiles for editing in Adobe/MAGIX?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Depends on what you intend to do.
    "Color" meaning adjust hue/saturation? Sharpen HOW?

Every decent NLE has basic controls like that built in, but it depends on how BAD the original footage is and how exacting you need to get with the processing.
    If it's real simple stuff, just go with the controls built-in to your NLE. If it requires more effort, use Vdub. If it necessitates even MORE control & detail work, do the work with AVISynth scripts.

BTW, rarely does it make sense to go with TRUE, uncompressed AVI files (as they are quite HUGE). Much more common and sensical would be to use Lossless compression (such as HuffYUV, Lagarith, UTvideo, etc), assuming the codec work in all the systems & apps you be needing it to.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sharpen: Using VD-filters like MS Smart Sharpen, MS Old Color Restauration etc. The original footages are of rather bad quality (my own VHS-tapes converted from my own videocamera`s original dvtapes meny years ago). I was thinking of using the "method" shown here:

http://www.engon.de/audio/vhs4_en.htm

Compressing:Using the VR-compression "Panasonic DV Codec" gives avi-outputfiles of the same sizes as the avi-iniputfiles.
    Quote Quote