VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13
1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. What are the things that needs to be fixed in this source?

Sample :

http://www.mediafire.com/?y9vqkd98gku7hrs

http://www.mediafire.com/?40n08brccnvqvkb

AVS Script

Code:
    MPEG2Source("C:\Users\x265\Desktop\Death note vol1.d2v", cpu=0)
    AnimeIVTC(mode=1, aa=0, ifade=true)
    trim(1918, 30688)+trim(32368, 32727)
    Crop(2, 2, -2, -0)
    SMDegrain(tr=6, pel=4, refinemotion=true, subpixel=3, lsb=true, prefilter=3, mode=6)
    LSFmod(defaults="slow", strength=40)
    Quote Quote  
  2. how to i join the video in this order? :
    OP+Episode+ED+Preview
    Quote Quote  
  3. What are the things that needs to be fixed in this source?
    If you don't know what's bothering you with the source, then there's no need to 'fix' anything.
    It's like asking: "Is green a nice colour?"

how to i join the video in this order?
    a. Why did you split them to begin with?
    b. Do you want to join already finished files or do you want to join them inside your Avisynth script?
    Joining finished files depends on the container used.
    Joining stuff in Avisynth normally happens through AlignedSplice or UnalignedSplice (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/using_avisynth_page_7.cfm) depending on what you want,...
    Quote Quote  
  4. The source looks too soft and contains haloing, also the colours are dull. could you have a look at the sample?
    Quote Quote  
  5. I want to add in the creditless OP and ED. Is the code below correct?

ClipTwo=trim(1918,30688)
    ClipFour=trim(32368,32727)
    ClipThree=MPEG2Source("C:\Users\Abhijith Nair\Desktop\ED.d2v", cpu=0).AnimeIVTC(mode=1, aa=0, ifade=true)
    ClipOne=MPEG2Source("C:\Users\Abhijith Nair\Desktop\OP.d2v", cpu=0).AnimeIVTC(mode=1, aa=0, ifade=true)
    AlignedSplice(ClipOne, ClipTwo, ClipThree, ClipFour)
    Last edited by x264; 18th Apr 2013 at 06:46.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There is no heavy grain in either of your sample clips. There is visible color banding, most evident in your 01.demuxed.m2v sample. Running degrainers is the very thing you don't want: it exposes more banding, and then LSFMod sharpens its edges. Banding and noise removal have a long thread with the dither() plugin on Doom9: "Color banding and noise removal" (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1386559). The same scene that's in your first sample is discussed in post #8 in that thread with a script and suggestions (running GradFun2DBmod is one suggestion) showing various ways to defeat the banding: http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1390594&postcount=8 .
    Last edited by sanlyn; 21st Mar 2014 at 13:52.
    Quote Quote  
  7. What about high bitdepth denoising(SMDegrain(lsb=true)), won't that prevent the banding?. Also LSFmod has a preblur option which will prevent noise sharpening.

MPEG2Source("C:\Users\Abhijith Nair\Desktop\Death note vol1.d2v", cpu=0)
    AnimeIVTC(mode=1, ifade=true, aa=0)
    ClipTwo=trim(1918,30688)
    ClipThree=MPEG2Source("C:\Users\Abhijith Nair\Desktop\ED.d2v", cpu=0).AnimeIVTC(mode=1, aa=0, ifade=true)
    ClipOne=MPEG2Source("C:\Users\Abhijith Nair\Desktop\OP.d2v", cpu=0).AnimeIVTC(mode=1, aa=0, ifade=true)
    Crop(2, 4, -2, -0)
    LSFmod(defaults="slow", strength=50 , preblur="SMDegrain(tr=6, thSAD=300, mode=6, pel=4, subpixel=3, lsb=true, search=5)")
    Quote Quote  
  8. Should i use the Gradfun3() filter to remove the banding which is already present in the source?
    Quote Quote  
  9. "denoising(SMDegrain(lsb=true)), won't that prevent the banding?"
    denoising will cause additional banding

you could:
    1. denoise, which will cause additional banding and destroy details, in example the structure on the 'death note' manuscript or the table
    2. deband, which will add additional noise due to the dithering
    to find a good balance it might be a good idea to use something like AvsPmod and play with the settings,..

Should i use the Gradfun3() filter to remove the banding which is already present in the source?
    I would probably recommend something more flexible like flash3kyuu_deband,...

Cu Selur

Ps.: LOL, I just realized how small my samples turned out,... -> added two encodes with 1500kBit/s (still not really happy with the result, but I rarely encode any animes, so I'm not really used to the material)
    Last edited by Selur; 18th Apr 2013 at 08:19.
    Quote Quote  
  10. When should i use flash3kyu_dither?
    Quote Quote  
  11. as one of the last filters,...
    Quote Quote  
  12. should i use it like this ?
    Flash3kyuu_deband(range=18, output_depth=16)
    f3kdb_dither()

The filesize of the filtered frame is big compared to the original unfiltered frame? why is this happening?
    Quote Quote  
  13. should i use it like this ?
    Personally I wouldn't:
    a. use output_depth=16
    b. use f3kdb_dither
    but if you are into 16bit and range=18 is to your liking: yes

The filesize of the filtered frame is big compared to the original unfiltered frame? why is this happening?
    dithering = adding noise = adding details -> preserving details requires more data rate
    => read up on the filters you use before using them, simply copying stuff from other scripts, without understanding what you do, isn't going to do you any good (especially if you work with filters that should (need to) be adjusted on a per clip basis)

Cu Selur
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by x264 View Post

Because all dithering filters essentially add "noise" . In order to retain the dither, you need high bitrates and grain retetion settings, or the banding will come back . 10bit helps too
    Quote Quote  
  15. how do i downsample 16bit video to 10bit, f3kdb_dither dithers to 8 bit. Should i pipe the 16bit video into x264 using avsyuv?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by x264 View Post
    how do i downsample 16bit video to 10bit, f3kdb_dither dithers to 8 bit. Should i pipe the 16bit video into x264 using avsyuv?

There are some examples in the dither documentation and the dither thread .

Or another method is to use vapoursynth .
    Quote Quote  
  17. What's the use of debanding if the noise removed by the denoiser is restored?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by x264 View Post
    What's the use of debanding if the noise removed by the denoiser is restored?
    What kind of "debanding" are you referring to specifically ?

If you mean some type of dithering, it's a different pattern of "noise" . It essentially "covers" up the banding . There are different types of dithering as well, ordered, non ordered, many different algorithms

As explained above - denoising removes noise (obviously), but will also remove grain, dithering patterns . This predisposes you to banding along gradients, especially with 8bit YUV, and especially with anime
    Quote Quote  
  19. Ok, so what would you do with the sample above?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Personally, I wouldn't do anything and live with it. Not worth the trouble in my opinion on this source. The filesizes you will require to improve the banding in the 1st clip will be enormous , even with 10bit AVC.

This type of animation is supposed to be diffuse, blurry, not oversharpened (it's the style of the animation)
    Quote Quote  
  21. Ok, I have decided not to use a denoiser but i want to remove the banding which is already present, filesize doesn't matter.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Then add some grain or dither filter and encode with --crf 0 . It's going to be many times larger than the original
    Quote Quote  
  23. can you post the code for loading high bitdepth avs into avs script into x264tmod?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by x264 View Post
    can you post the code for loading high bitdepth avs into avs script into x264tmod?
    Just copy & paste from the instructions , change the resolution and fps to match yours

eg.

Code:
    avs2yuv -raw "script.avs" -o - | x264-10bit --demuxer raw --input-depth 16 --input-res 720x480 --fps 24000/1001 --output "output.mp4" -
    Quote Quote  
  25. http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1536519&postcount=157

The author of flash3kyuu_deband says its better to dither to 10bit is better than directly feed 16bit to x264. I don't know how to load the high bitdepth avs into x264tmod, could you show me how it's done?
    Quote Quote  
  26. You "load" it with the command line above, plus whatever settings you want to encode with

I've used tmod, but I've never used his hacked version before (link is dead) . http://j.mp/x264tMod

You can do it with dither to 10-bit data aligned on 16-bit words using the dither package ; you still use --input-depth 16 in the commandline

To be clear, instead of
    8bit source => fake 16bit + fake 16 bit filters => 16bit => 10bit x264

This does
    8bit source => fake 16bit + fake 16 bit filters => dither to 10bit => 10bit x264
    Code:
    Dither_quantize (10, mode=6) 
    Dither_out ()
    You should really READ the instructions and look at the examples, that's what they are there for

I don't know how to use flash3kyuu for this, I've only used it for 8bit . But look at the instructions, you can probably specify the input/output depth there .

input_mode
    Specify source video type.
    0: Regular 8 bit video
    1: 9 ~ 16 bit high bit-depth video, stacked format
    2: 9 ~ 16 bit high bit-depth video, interleaved format

Default: 0 (input_depth = 8 or not specified) / 1 (input_depth > 8)

input_depth
    Specify bit-depth of source video.

Range: 8 ~ 16
    Default: 8 (input_mode = 0 or not specified) / 16 (input_mode = 1 or 2)

output_mode
    Specify output video type. Meaning of values are the same as input_mode.

Only valid when dither_algo = 1 / 2 / 3 .

If dither_algo = 0, output_mode is set to 0 and can't be changed.

When output_mode = 2, frames will be 2x wider and look garbled on preview,
    it will return to normal after correctly encoded by high bit-depth x264)

Default: 0 (output_depth = 8 or not specified) / 1 (output_depth > 8)

output_depth
    Specify output bit-depth.

Only valid when dither_algo = 1 / 2 / 3 .

If output_depth = 16, dither algorithm specified by dither_algo won't be
    applied.

Range: 8 ~ 16
    Default: 8 (output_mode = 0 or not specified) / 16 (output_mode = 1 or 2)
    Quote Quote  
  27. Ok, i tried the code which you posted above, now i'm this getting this error

AVS Script

MPEG2Source("C:\Users\Abhijith Nair\Desktop\Death note vol1.d2v", cpu=0)
    AnimeIVTC(mode=1, ifade=true, aa=0)
    ClipTwo=trim(1918,30688)
    Crop(2, 4, -2, -0)
    Dehalo_alpha_mt(ss=3.0)
    SMDegrain(lsb=true, tr=6, pel=4, subpixel=3, refinemotion=true)
    lsfmod(defaults="slow", strength=50)
    flash3kyuu_deband(range=17, output_depth=16, dither_algo=3, input_depth=8)
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by x264 View Post
    Ok, i tried the code which you posted above, now i'm this getting this error

it's --no-fast-pskip

Not

--no-fast-pskip true

You're also missing a " - " at the very end, required for piping . Scroll back up and look at the example command line more closely

I am almost certain you will get banding with those settings, it might be slightly reduced, but it won't be eliminated. The problem is the source
    Quote Quote  
  29. Well let me see how it turns out. Thanks for your help
    Quote Quote  
  30. You can also try vapoursynth's fmtc for various dither operations . It works natively at 16bit, instead of "fake" 16bit .

It's like learning avisynth all over again (at least for me) , but my preliminary tests show it's promising, slightly better results than the native 8bit (or fake 16bit) filters in avisynth on various test gradients and CG renders

But I doubt anything will help much with the banding in the 1st sample; the problem is the source. You need very high amounts of dithering noise and enormous bitrates to retain that
    Quote Quote