VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I bought a complete pack from old toon "GALAXY RANGERS" but its PAL specs DVD: 720x576i, 25fps, interlaced.

My targets are: Rip movie from avi/mp4/mkv, deinterlace, cropped black lines, correct NTSC AR, 29.97 or 23.976.

What are the tools and filters for this? I know it will be used avisynth.

Info file: VTS_02_7.VOB.MediaInfo.txt

VOB file (Skydrive hosted - 382Mb) : http://sdrv.ms/17asyHQ

Thanks

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  2. I can't download the file. It asks for a username and password.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Stupid question but you can not play PAL dvds in Brazil ?

The reason I ask is because I used to send PAL dvds to a mate in Sao Paulo and I never had any feedback from him of not being able to play them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. 382 MB? Are you kidding? Just 10 well chosen seconds will be plenty to figure out what you have, something with steady movement.

And, as jagabo said, you need a name and password to access it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    I can't download the file. It asks for a username and password.
    Sorry jag, fixed now. I will reupload a tiny file.

Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    Stupid question but you can not play PAL dvds in Brazil ?

The reason I ask is because I used to send PAL dvds to a mate in Sao Paulo and I never had any feedback from him of not being able to play them.
    Yes, it works. The problem is that I would make it compatible with NTSC system to all my friends who do not have PC or a player that can play PAL correctly.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    382 MB? Are you kidding? Just 10 well chosen seconds will be plenty to figure out what you have, something with steady movement.

And, as jagabo said, you need a name and password to access it.
    What better way to cut mpeg without loss?

Edit: I used VIDEOREDO to this. Upload file now on Mediafire...

Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 14th Apr 2013 at 21:12.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

New link (83Mb - Mediafire):
    http://www.mediafire.com/?sq0q4j71vb0aqw5

Common problems (red colors, interlaced motion scenes, very blurry in some scenes)

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  7. Start with Yadif(mode=1,order=1).SRestore() to get it back to 23.976 fps without most of the blending. Then the colors need to be toned down, noise reduced, sharpened, frame size reduced, etc.

Some of your problems come from the way you are making your images. You are handling interlaced YV12 chroma as if it's progressive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Start with Yadif(mode=1,order=1).SRestore() to get it back to 23.976 fps without most of the blending. Then the colors need to be toned down, noise reduced, sharpened, frame size reduced, etc.

Some of your problems come from the way you are making your images. You are handling interlaced YV12 chroma as if it's progressive.
    Jagabo, I followed your tips and found perfect synchrony audio+video in 23.976.

How do I reduce the redness color?

I solved various problems of deinterlace.

What other tips I could use?

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Completed my first conversion.

The resize and colors are good?

Click image for larger version

Name:	grdvdrip.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	17677

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  10. I don't know what the colors are supposed to look like but your saturation looks closer to what I would guess the original looked like. Maybe a little too pale? Maybe somewhere around:

Code:
    ColorYUV(off_u=2, off_v=-2)
    ColorYUV(cont_u=-50, cont_v=-50)
    Last edited by jagabo; 6th May 2013 at 07:36.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Well...

The original image of the pilot is impossible to work with. Colors are clipped and crushed, and some brighter and dark values can't be restored as-is. . Like jagabo I don't know what it's 'supposed" to look like, but the image on the right is still too red. The pilot's hair isn't yellow (it's orange). Blacks aren't black, whites aren't white. You'd have to work in YUV first to get the levels and chroma within workable range. It's too damaged to tweak in YUV. You'll have to go to RGB.
    [Attachment 17694 - Click to enlarge]
    Last edited by sanlyn; 28th Mar 2014 at 17:47. Reason: Sorry, posted wrong image the first time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Jagabo,

I apologize for the delay in giving feedback.

I tested your 2 tips. The last using McTemporalDenoise was very good.

Unfortunately the source has lot of problems and the work will be more time consuming than I thought.

Sanlyn, how do you get that colors? Great work. Could you post the script to me understand?

One doubt: It is only avisynth that achieves this or is there some way to do this in Virtualdub?

Thanks guys, I really am learning every day that I know is a grain of sand
    hehehehe

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I worked with the left-hand image of the pics you posted in #9 above. Most of it was done in VirtualDub. I started with a script similar to jagabo's in post #10, converting the image to YUY2 and lowering contrast to bring extreme darks and brights into a more workable range inside a histogram. The rest was done in RGB in VirtualDub with gradation curves and ColorMill. The opening script didn't accomplish very much, because once the original YUV video gets clipped at the bright end by going to RGB for the images, most of the brightest parts of the original colors were destroyed, especially the brightest reds.

If you look at the original, overly red, over saturated left-hand image from #9, using a pixel sampler, the RGB values you get from the face tell you what's wrong. The color isn't really just too red, it's too pink (red + blue). But it's really the hot red that's the most trouble; most of red's brightest values were clipped off in the original YUV video. So if you want to have a bright image and make the guy's hair yellow instead of orange, you have to play with certain areas of green and blue in ways that are difficult to do in YUV. Look more closely at the skin tones in the pic I posted: the skin tones look slightly green and the hair is a bit too yellow (too much green), but I had to use green to compensate for the loss of bright red or you'd have a pale looking image with no punch at all. That sort of color region manipulation can't be done in YUV. But you still need YUV controls to bring the luma and colors under basic control.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 28th Mar 2014 at 17:47.
    Quote Quote