VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all new to the forum.

I am learning to make gaming videos and I want the best possible quality. I have messaged a few youtube superstars for help but I guess they don't have time for me.

Which program out of these 3 would you say is the best? I take take raw game footage, recorded with fraps and then make my movie and render it.

I have only used handbrake once. Not actually for making a movie but taking audio from a DVD. It worked well.

I have been playing with avidemux and I like how simple it is, but there isn't much editing.

I have an older version of Vegas. I would not pay for a new version, I think my current one does the job. I don't know if it can render the best settings though? I am not a Vegas editing pro.

--

Here is what I have learned in the past few days.

- x264 should be used for the best quality now. Replacing DivX and Xvid
    - mkv should always be used as container. (no use for me though because I don't need subtitles for a gaming video)
    - always do a 2 pass when rendering to make sure no artifacts or compression problems.

--

So which program out of the 3 is the best?

Here to learn thank you all.
    Quote Quote  
  2. for editing and effects: Vegas
    for encoding: shouldn't matter, they all should be able to use the same encoder (x264)
    container: if you don't need styled subtitles, I would stick with mp4
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    - Edit using VEGAS
    - Export using AVI lossless codec (UT Video RGB, LAGARITH or HUFFYUV)
    - Encoding to YT using RIPBOT264, MEGUI, HANDBRAKE.

Claudio
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok I figured the others weren't that great for editing. I guess they are more for just doing trimming and adding filters. Real basic stuff.

Why mp4 over mkv? Even if I don't use subtitles?

Cauptain you aren't the first person who said that to me.

Why render it through another program? Can my Sony Vegas not do x264 at the best quality for Youtube?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Vegas is a professional Video production suite. It is far superior in capability. Likewise, quite unlike the other software [per your commentary]. I wonder: what makes this a confounding circumstance?

Eg. I've got a screwdriver, a knife, and a chainsaw. I want to plant flowers. What is my best option?
    Last edited by e-nation; 13th Apr 2013 at 21:13. Reason: see HIPPA.
    Expand your intellect: Search your favourite PC / Web Dev/ Linux / tech-terms at NoviceNotes™
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by DUDERANCH View Post
    Why render it through another program? Can my Sony Vegas not do x264 at the best quality for Youtube?
    Sony's h.264 encoder is pretty poor. x264 is better.
    Quote Quote  
  7. e-nation you will have to excuse me like I said I am a noob. I only used handbrake once, I never looked for editing features. I just remember I could rip audio from a live music DVD which is what I wanted.

Jagabo, isn't h264 and x264 the same?

To test quality I have been using avidemux, quality 18, container mkv, video output mpeg 4 AVC (x264).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by DUDERANCH View Post
    Jagabo, isn't h264 and x264 the same?
    No. h.264 is the specification. x264 is an open source implementation of that specification. Sony Vegas uses a crippled version of MainConcept's implementation of h.264.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DUDERANCH View Post
    e-nation you will have to excuse me
    I'm willing to wager, you did not purchase; use a pirated version of Sony Vegas. Please understand, as i've friends-- in particular-- the chief engineer for Vegas and Acid, from whom you take food from their tables, on such piracy. Perhaps you purchased the software, or possess some [featureless] /freeware/ version, though I am not aware of such a release.
    Thus, you've no manuals; you do not understand the purpose of Vegas. (Eg. How do i plant flowers w/ a chainsaw?)

Originally Posted by DUDERANCH View Post
    I never looked for editing features.
    clearly

Get rid of Vegas , and use the freeware specific for transcoding such material. Respect the ©.

The fellow members pride themselves on such tedius details. Follow their advisories. What i meant for you to take from my commentary: you're using the wrong software.

Eg. Try Freemake Video Converter / AVC by ANVsoft [the free edition] / or anything rendering via mencode / mplayer.

You'll get it. Once you get the hang-of-it. You'll laugh at this thread. Indeed, there is a first time for everything, such as firing an automatic weapon.
    Expand your intellect: Search your favourite PC / Web Dev/ Linux / tech-terms at NoviceNotes™
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What i meant for you to take from my commentary: you're using the wrong software.
    then maybe you should have said that instead.

so he never even remotely close mentions he's got an "old" pirated version of Vegas and you bet he posseses a pirated copy of Vegas? Geez...I'm "bettin" you you got up this morning just waiting to harangue someone. How in the world does it matter if it has no manuals and he doesn't understand it too well then you come to the conclusion that it's pirated software? If he was that deft a pirate then wouldn't he have already downloaded a newer version? You've never met anyone who didn't understand video editing with Vegas?

Use handbrake/Vidcoder to the mp4 container. It will work just fine for your youtube needs. Freemake can do it also but has no editing functions. Youtube probably has a few vids on how to use Vegas. Try that maybe
    Quote Quote  
  11. ok first off I have Sony Vegas version 8. I didn't know if it had the best render settings because it's an older version. Jagabo has now explained it has a crippled version. My version probably doesn't have it.

Also I have made many movies with Vegas. Like I said though, I am not an expert. The first movie I made was in 2008 and the quality was really bad. I remember my video had faint lines through the screen. I did not know how to render properly. I just chose random settings.

I know some basic editing stuff in Vegas but I am no pro so I came for help.

Moontrash can you explain why mp4? I am still confused why mp4 vs mkv for the container.

Also is handbrake better than avidemux or are they the same? I really like avidemux.

I have no plan on changing from Vegas unless there is an easier free software to learn with similar features. I am not a pro, but at least I know a few things from playing around in it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Vegas 8 is 4-5 years old, so H.264 encoder in it (actually two encoders MainConcept and Sony) are old as well. So if you want to compare Avidemux , Handbrake with Vegas you have to go with latest Vegas 12 version. There is a difference in quality between H.264 encoders between version 8 and 12.

Another thing, judging some latest Vegas H.264 encoder for example,if you give to your video enough bitrate, it will look fine even in Vegas, it is always about bitrate at the end. One can boast that video encoded with Handbrake looks stunning around 12Mbit/s , Vegas might need (this is just made up number) 13-14Mbit/s and you might be happy as well. You might need the best encoder encoding low bit stream like for web for example, where you are limited with bitrate. But in the situation where bitrate is relative you can use Vegas, why not, it is not the end of world. You are stuck with 2pass VBR or 1pass CBR as oppose to 1pass CRF in x264 encoder but it is nothing like you are doomed because you have to use Vegas' (latest) encoder (and you are lucky it will not crash on you while encoding , this is another thing ...)

I use Vegas 8 like you, and serving video to some x264 encoder using Debugmodeframe server, that would take another time to study how it exactly works, but it is possible to export Vegas timeline to your favorite updated H.264 encoder of yours (not handbrake though, Handbrake will not load Avisynth file). This method is not straight forward and there is some time needed to do it first time.

I would use latest Avidemux for mp4 cutting or joining , maybe for rewrapping of video container (if it works) but not as dedicated encoder.

mp4 and mkv are containers, content in it is important (H.264 and audio), for upload or personal use mp4 or mkv makes no difference perhaps,.., mkv has better seeking abilities, but Vegas will not load mkv etc.,, it is up to you what you use , you can always remux your video into either container without changing your quality( mkvmerge , mp4boxgui ...)
    Quote Quote  
  13. oh I didn't know the encoders actually got better overtime. I thought they were always developing new ones. I thought x264 has been the best for a few years. Xvid before that and Divx before that.

I don't manually set the bit rate in Avidemux. Should I be doing that? I set quality to '18' which I read is good and Single Pass. I was told 2 pass is better though.

I am not sure what you mean in your third point.

Why is Avidemux no good?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  14. 2-pass VBR is not better than single pass CRF in x264. You use 2-pass when you want a specific bitrate (file size). You use CRF when you want a specific quality. If you perform a CRF encode and the result comes out at a particular bitrate, then create a 2-pass encoding from the same source at that bitrate, you'll find the two files look nearly identical.
    Quote Quote  
  15. so why is Avidemux no good?

Also my monitor is 22" 1680x1050. So it's 1 resolution size behind 1920x1080p.

So when making videos, should I do them in 1280x720p or my native resolution? Most games will not let me record at 1920x1080 if I try to set it window mode or set that as a custom resolution. They usually come out at some screwed up resolution like 1688 x something.

If I upload 1680x1050 to youtube what exactly will it do? It's an HD resolution because it's above 720p, although no one calls it that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DUDERANCH View Post
    so why is Avidemux no good?

Also my monitor is 22" 1680x1050. So it's 1 resolution size behind 1920x1080p.

So when making videos, should I do them in 1280x720p or my native resolution? Most games will not let me record at 1920x1080 if I try to set it window mode or set that as a custom resolution. They usually come out at some screwed up resolution like 1688 x something.

If I upload 1680x1050 to youtube what exactly will it do? It's an HD resolution because it's above 720p, although no one calls it that.

Hi DUDERANCH, I discovery a solution...Only upload using 1680x1080, YT will accept this resolution now!!!

Finnaly, no more 720p virtual windows to make my tutorials!! Thanks Youtube, only remember the next thing...60fps video hehehe

Code:
    General
    Complete name                  : C:\Users\Cauptain\Downloads\Untitled_hd1080.mp4
    Format                         : MPEG-4
    Format profile                 : Base Media / Version 2
    Codec ID                       : mp42
    File size                      : 1.17 MiB
    Duration                       : 5s 712ms
    Overall bit rate mode          : Variable
    Overall bit rate               : 1 714 Kbps
    Encoded date                   : UTC 2013-05-08 18:40:20
    Tagged date                    : UTC 2013-05-08 18:40:20
    gsst                           : 0
    gstd                           : 5873
    gssd                           : BADC21B85HH1368125035213607
    gshh                           : r18---sn-bg07snek.c.youtube.com

Video
    ID                             : 1
    Format                         : AVC
    Format/Info                    : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile                 : High@L4.0
    Format settings, CABAC         : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames      : 1 frame
    Codec ID                       : avc1
    Codec ID/Info                  : Advanced Video Coding
    Duration                       : 5s 700ms
    Bit rate                       : 1 520 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate               : 2 249 Kbps
    Width                          : 1 680 pixels
    Height                         : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio           : 1.556
    Frame rate mode                : Constant
    Frame rate                     : 30.000 fps
    Color space                    : YUV
    Chroma subsampling             : 4:2:0
    Bit depth                      : 8 bits
    Scan type                      : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame)             : 0.028
    Stream size                    : 1.03 MiB (88%)

Audio
    ID                             : 2
    Format                         : AAC
    Format/Info                    : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile                 : LC
    Codec ID                       : 40
    Duration                       : 5s 712ms
    Bit rate mode                  : Variable
    Bit rate                       : 192 Kbps
    Maximum bit rate               : 201 Kbps
    Channel(s)                     : 2 channels
    Channel positions              : Front: L R
    Sampling rate                  : 44.1 KHz
    Compression mode               : Lossy
    Stream size                    : 134 KiB (11%)
    Title                          : IsoMedia File Produced by Google, 5-11-2011
    Encoded date                   : UTC 2013-05-08 18:40:20
    Claudio
    Last edited by Cauptain; 9th May 2013 at 14:50.
    Quote Quote