VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings .....

Have just started using a Toshiba DR430KU DVD recorder, and I've already discovered the following ----

(1) It uses the same menu and remote control system which you find on the Magnovox MDR-513H DVD-DVR recorder. Arrrgh -- will have to live with that. And guess what -- I can!! After two days I've mastered the remote reasonably well in spite of some manufacturer design/navigation flaws.

(2) It takes three minutes to five more to finalize a recorded DVD, where as the Panasonic DMR-EZ27 usually takes no more than two minutes if not a little more. Does the Toshiba's speed of finalizing depend on what brand and type disc you use?

(3) For DVD-R discs, which is what I'll be using a lot, the owner's manual recommends Verbatim (8x) and Maxell (8x, 16x). For DVD+R discs, the manual recommends Verbatim (8x), plus Maxell, Sony and TDK (latter three record at 4x-8x-16x). It says nothing about Taiyo Yuden discs, the 8x DVD-R types being what I would prefer to use.

The first disc I used in the Toshiba was in fact a Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R. I made a test recording of only five minutes. But it took close to five minutes to finalize. By comparison, the Panasonic finalized a TY 8x disc with 30 minutes of material in not more than two minutes.

If anyone has experience using Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R discs with the Toshiba, or any other Taiyo types, please let me know.
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 14th Apr 2013 at 15:38. Reason: Have learned the Remote
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Frank-0-Video View Post
    It says nothing about Taiyo Yuden discs, the 8x DVD-R types being what I would prefer to use.
    Can you buy Taiyo Yuden discs "retail"....meaning off-the-shelf, in a retail store?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ....

If you can, I don't know where. I've been ordering mine thru RIMA.COM and am very pleased with that firm.
    THE Ultimate TV Tuner Device - Picks up every broadcast-cable-satellite transmission since 1928!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Greetings ....

If you can, I don't know where. I've been ordering mine thru RIMA.COM and am very pleased with that firm.
    There is your answer.
    The reason no DVD recorder manufacturers recommend TY discs is because you cannot buy them "normal" retail.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ....

Thank you, Hech54. I am very pleased to report that the unit handles the Taiyo Yuden DVD's just fine, and that I now understand how the remote control-menu navigation procedure works.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just buy TY or Verbatim discs from Rima.com like you've been doing. TDK and Maxell aren't very good any more and Sony at best is hit or miss with them using the best and the worst manufacturers both and probably should be avoided as you have no way to know which manufacturer will have made the discs you buy.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Have just started using a Toshiba DR430KU DVD recorder, and I've already discovered the following ----

(1) It uses the same menu and remote control system which you find on the Magnovox MDR-513H DVD-DVR recorder. Arrrgh -- will have to live with that.
    Maybe because both products were made by the same company, which is neither Toshiba nor Magnavox. Both made by Funai.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 26th Mar 2014 at 06:26.
    Quote Quote