VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I just purchased this device and had no problem converting my first video, along with sound, to DVD and played it on my TV.

I have two VHS tapes containing old family videos. The tapes were made from 8mm movies and jump from videos dating back 70+ years ago, to 40 years ago and back. There are bits from Xmas mixed with bits from family picnics/trips and back to the very old videos. I have captured the videos and copied to my computer for editing. Is there a tutorial for beginners out there? I am wondering if I have to save each video as a new project in order to merge edited pieces into one video. Or is it okay to just save under different, meaningful file names?

I tried Pinnacle Capture Device and had to return it because I could not get sound. But I did like it, in that I could save as .avi file on my laptop. I would like to save captures to my laptop, rather than to DVD--and with an .avi extension. Is anyone familiar with the Honestech device and can this be done? If not, can the DVD's be converted to files compatible with Windows Movie Maker or onto CD's at a later date? Female and 73 and wanting to learn this in my lifetime.

I have been debating on just purchasing a VHS/DVD Recorder Combo, but in reading the reviews, this may be the easiest option--but the unit seems to be short lived.

Thanks in advance, Lucy
    Last edited by lucienalta; 12th Apr 2013 at 23:46.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You can save captures to your laptop, but if you want AVI you will need to veer away from the official software.

http://www.honestech.com/main/vhs-to-dvd-50-deluxe.asp ("Video Output : MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VCD, SVCD, DVD, Blu-ray Disc, WMV")

Try VirtualDub. According to a search for Linux drivers, the device uses the Philips SAA7113H for digitization and the eMPIA EM2860 for the USB connection. No hardware encoding there, so VDub should work (the list of video formats above also implies it uses software encoding).

The Honestech software can edit their own captures, so I don't see a reason to turn to Windows Movie Maker. And why would you want to put videos on CDs?
    Last edited by Brad; 13th Apr 2013 at 00:42.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Who said there was no such thing as a stupid question? Here was my reasoning: I just got a refurbished laptop. It came with a DVD recorder and I love it. I have yet to get a mouse for it. So...I am back and forth with my desktop mouse until my little bother brings me in one of his extra devices.

I installed the capture device on the laptop. Most everything else is on my desktop. I don't understand Video Output, but saw the WMV note. There are lots of online tutorials for Windows movies so I thought it might be easier to convert to AVI or WMV and go that route. I am sure after reading your reply, I am definitely going to learn how to edit--using the Honestech software.
    My brother is really good at this stuff, but I am one of his many sisters and don't go to him until I have tried really hard myself to do my own thing. He works a lot with Linux, but I think I am too old to begin to understand a whole new OS.

Today I will try some editing and see where it takes me. I am afraid I will prove there are stupid questions...

lucy
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Ignore everything in the third paragraph after "Try VirtualDub." There should be guides here on VideoHelp and elsewhere for how to capture using it.

AVI can be easier to edit than DVD (which uses MPEG-2), for technical reasons. It can also produce a higher quality result whether your final format is DVD or something else.

But for now you may as well try the Honestech editor with your captured footage. The Honestech software does support AVI input, so any skills you pick up can be used regardless of whether you go back and recapture the tapes in another format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am attaching image of video clip I have edited to add a title. Can I just go up to the Burn option to burn to DVD. Or do I have to merge/save and it will default to whatever else is needed?Click image for larger version

Name:	screen image.gif
Views:	882
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	17224
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just went ahead and told it to merge and save. It looks as though it has to go thru the whole video? Also, the title's slider bar only goes up to 2 seconds. I can't figure out how to extend the time to about 5 seconds?

When it finishes doing it's update, do I then select #3 BURN to put it on a blank DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of us use different software for capturing video and making DVDs, and that is why you have not received an answer. You can either wait around hoping that someone who does use Honestech VHS to DVD 5.0 Delux will see your post and answer your questions, or try to find out what will happen for yourself.

If you are afraid of wasting DVDs, then get some Verbatim DVD+RW or DVD-RW media (more reliable than other brands). They can be re-used many times, which makes them a good choice when learning how to do DVD conversion and DVD authoring. Just remember that they are not good to use for a permanent copy because the dye used in the recording layer gradually returns to its pre-burn state over time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to save on DVD's. A conservative Democrat (lol). If push comes to shove, I will spring for the DVD RW. If I do that, I will have to ask at the store whether I need DVD+/or - RW. My current DVDs are DVD-R. If I get it down pat, I will be posting what I have learned. There are a lot of Lucy's out there. Oh my, I did think DVD's were good for permanent copy. I will be sure and keep a copy of my captures on my computer. Thanks for the information.

Lucy
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lucienalta View Post
    I am trying to save on DVD's. A conservative Democrat (lol). If push comes to shove, I will spring for the DVD RW. If I do that, I will have to ask at the store whether I need DVD+/or - RW. My current DVDs are DVD-R. If I get it down pat, I will be posting what I have learned. There are a lot of Lucy's out there. Oh my, I did think DVD's were good for permanent copy. I will be sure and keep a copy of my captures on my computer. Thanks for the information.

Lucy
    Just so we are clear, DVD-R and DVD+R are burn-once media and can be used for permanent copies. DVD-RW and DVD+RW are re-usable media and should only be used for temporary copies. Keeping multiple copies of your captures, some on DVD and some on your computer is still wise, so you have a backup to go to if either your HDD dies, or the DVD is accidentally lost or destroyed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Now I really feel stupid. One more question, what is difference between DVD+RW or DVD-RW?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now I really feel stupid. One more question, what is difference between DVD+RW or DVD-RW?
    If you want to know the technical details, consult Wikipedia. I can't think of a convincing reason why you would need to buy one rather than the other unless your laptop's DVD burner or your DVD player are fairly old.

About 6-7 years ago there were DVD drives, DVD players, or DVD recorders that were able to use DVD-RW but not DVD+RW, or vice-versa, but today the choice between DVD+RW or DVD-RW is something that most of us with newish equipment rarely need to think about. The only exceptions are those who own specific DVD recorders which need to use a special type of hard-to-find DVD-RW that supports CPRM encryption to record cable TV programming with copy-once protection. ...but that is not what you are doing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased the VCR unit and Honestech capture device at Best Buy, along with the DVD's. The geek guy said I would need to purchase DVD-R, that DVD+R would not work. I didn't think to ask him why. I read a lot of reviews on three different capture devices and they were all pretty much the same. About 1/3 get it right the first try. The rest get pretty upset because they can't do what the device promises they can do. Could it be something to do with the DVD+Read? If so, that would be worth adding a Sticky note at the top of the forum?

Best Buy has GREAT tech support, as does the Honestech.com tech online site. I save them for when all else fails.

Hey, I finished editing a video for the first time and burned it to my DVD-R. You are right. I need to go out and buy a 20 pack of the DVD-RWs. When I inserted the DVD it came up with a generic box with the word Title and a Hawaiian theme. I waited a few seconds thinking I didn't actually get the video on to a DVD. It finally dawned on me, one has to click the Play signal! My customized title was a bit to the left, and only stays on for a couple of seconds. That's my next post, but I will start it in a new Thread.

Lucy
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I purchased the VCR unit and Honestech capture device at Best Buy, along with the DVD's. The geek guy said I would need to purchase DVD-R, that DVD+R would not work. I didn't think to ask him why. I read a lot of reviews on three different capture devices and they were all pretty much the same. About 1/3 get it right the first try. The rest get pretty upset because they can't do what the device promises they can do. Could it be something to do with the DVD+Read? If so, that would be worth adding a Sticky note at the top of the forum?
    Originally there were two camps of consumer electronics manufacturers. One group participated in the development of the DVD-R standard, and the other group participated in the development of the DVD+R standard. Each group was originally loyal to its own standard, but that changed over time. Now they all make products that support both types of media. Unless you mentioned that you had a DVD player from a brand that originally belonged to the DVD-R camp, the Best Buy salesman was playing the odds. DVD-R came out first, so there are probably more devices in circulation which have compatibility with DVD-R. ...but for new equipment, today it really does not matter whether you buy DVD-R or DVD+R.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 13th Apr 2013 at 19:07.
    Quote Quote