VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have tried everything, different burners, different files, different media brand names, different burning software and I just can not get my Dell 8300 to burn in dual layer. It will burn all other types just not dual layer.

I took the same burner and the same (Roxio) software and put them in my Dell 3100 and it works fine with dual layer.

Here, attached, are some of the error codes from the 8300, I would really like to get it to work on the 8300 instead of the 3100.

The drive is a Sony NEC AD-7170A that gives an error on the 8300 but not the 3100, using Roxio MyDVD 9 on both. I also tried CDburnXP and ImgBurn and got errors on those also.

Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ditch roxio. only use imgburn to burn discs.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Look at the bottom of my post, I did try ImgBurn and got errors. There is a screen shot and a txt file of the error log uploaded.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Write speed on any software should be HALF of the disc rated speed(especially for Dual Layer).
    Did ImgBurn ask you to pick a layer break?
    You are using Ritek discs? - They are crap. Use Verbatim (but not the Value Line ones).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Yes, it did ask about a layer break but I did not know what to do. The discs are Memorex DVD+R dual layer. I ordered some Verbatim yesterday, already noticed that is the brand everyone says is the best.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by moviegeek71 View Post
    Yes, it did ask about a layer break but I did not know what to do. The discs are Memorex DVD+R dual layer. I ordered some Verbatim yesterday, already noticed that is the brand everyone says is the best.
    Memorex doesn't make their own discs....they never did. The ImgBurn log says they are Ritek.
    Ritek discs used to be good back in the 1x thru 4x days....now they are plain crap.
    Quote Quote  
  7. But the same burner, same Roxio, and same discs all work on the 3100 but on my 8300 that's when I get all those errors. The 8300 is my dedicated HTPC, so I'd really like it to work on the 8300.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Could be a driver problem. I also see discussions about that drive going back to 2007....it's pretty old.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    moviegeek71 - Do you want help or do you just want to screw around? I've got better things to do than screw around.

Your Memorex discs suck. You also burned them at the maximum speed. This is a recipe for disaster. If you want to try to salvage these awful discs then burn them only using ImgBurn (Roxio is crap) and burn them as slow as your burner can handle (likely 2.4x). You'll have a chance of making use of them then. You need to burn slower on crap discs to have a chance of making the burns complete.

If you are going to start playing the game of "But they worked on my old _____________", then I'm done here.

For best results ONLY use ImgBurn for burning and Verbatim DVD+R DL discs for DL media.

Use anything else and you post here crying about where you burns don't work.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I agree with the ImgBurn suggestions, and the Verbatim DL media, but -

Same disks, same burner, same cable(?), works in another PC, I'd check something else.

Assuming this is SATA, check the Dell BIOS settings for that particular SATA connector. There are usually 2 or 3 modes, pick a different one. Make sure RAID is not
    enabled for that drive.

Strongly doubt it could be the power connector, but use a different one anyway.

If BIOS setting doesn't fix it, look into a firmware update, System BIOS, drive BIOS, both.

The simple fact, as stated, that same burner, same media works in another PC points to the PC being the issue and NOT the burner and NOT the media.
    Repeat the test just to make sure.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "write speed MAX" is madness and asking for trouble...
    That together with " 00:42:41 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RITEK-S04-66)" cannot ever work!!!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  12. Nelson37, I ordered some Verbatim discs and will give those a go, it's a learning process and I appreciate the help.

jamn98, I'm not sure why I warranted such a nasty reply but please stay away from my posts, now and in the future.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Okay guys, I've got the Verbatim 8X and 2.4X dual layer discs (made in Singapore). Now I just need an "idiot guide" for the settings of ImgBurn and I'm ready to try again.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Set the writepsed to 4x if your burner supports that, else to 2.4x. Nothing else.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by moviegeek71 View Post
    Yes, it did ask about a layer break but I did not know what to do. The discs are Memorex DVD+R dual layer. I ordered some Verbatim yesterday, already noticed that is the brand everyone says is the best.
    All recent (>2009 or so) stand-alone players and drives play discs with seamless layer switching, so just choose this setting in Image Burn. You may also be presented with a choice of layer breaks, with a color-coded star saying how good that choice of layer-break is, and a test-screen to see what it looks like in Image Burn. These choices are there because although an ideal layer break would be at the 50% mark of the image, coinciding with a chapter point or an I-frame is logically better (even if the two layers are ultimately not exactly 50-50).
    As has been said here and can never be over-emphasized, however good or crappy the DL discs you choose to record onto, never burn at anything above 4x. Rightly or wrongly, those numbers are for advertising only. Even with heavenly Verbatim DVD+R DL media, I only ever burn at 2.4x.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
  16. Okay, I will follow your advice.

When I use ImBurn:

1) how do I set the layer break
    2) how do I set it to burn at 2.4x
    Quote Quote  
  17. I think it works now. I figured out how to set the layer break and write speed. It burned "successfully complete" this time and it played in the DVD player. The only error I got was that I set the write speed at 2.4x and the lowest the drive will go is 4x.

So, I will set it to burn at 4x and select the lowest layer break, I think that is the tweeks needed to get it to work. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Well, I tried to burn another file, a bigger one and this time I got an error.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9bm92g.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	17376
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's no error, just an info with suggestion!
    Quote Quote