VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Thread
  1. I have a sony dav s300 dvd player. i used convertxtodvd to convert 2 movies to dvd format at then burnt it on a moserbaer dvd+rw 4.7gb at 1x speed. however when i insert the disc it says "no disc". what should i do? is it a problem with disc type or the burning software? pls help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes, it's most likely a problem with the disc.
    It wont play CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, MP3s and multi-regional DVDs (and probably DVD+RW by the look of it).
    Try it with a DVD+R. If that doesn't work...give up. It's very choosey about what it will play.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by StormBreaker View Post
    I have a sony dav s300 dvd player. i used convertxtodvd to convert 2 movies to dvd format at then burnt it on a moserbaer dvd+rw 4.7gb at 1x speed. however when i insert the disc it says "no disc". what should i do? is it a problem with disc type or the burning software? pls help!
    I would guess that the DVD+RW is the problem. From what I could find out about it, your player, dates from 2000-2001. That being the case, it is likely that your player is unable to read DVD+RW and possibly other burned DVD media as well. DVD+RW and other burned DVD media were were not common back then.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    An old girlfriend of mine had one of the very early Sony DVD players that would not accept ANY homemade disc....not even CD-R.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Some older DVD players may only support DVD-R or DVD+R but not both, and/or mightn't read re-writable discs well, if at all.

    You might be able to change the booktype when burning for better compatibility. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_type

    What's the rated burning speed of the discs? Burning at 1x probably won't increase the quality, and could in fact reduce it. See the "Myth of burning slower" section on this page: http://www.digitalfaq.com/guides/media/dvd-media-concepts.htm
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    According to the second review at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DAV-S300-Home-Cinema-System/dp/B00005Q3DO the unit supports DVD-R/-RW only and won't work with DVD+R/+RW recordings. I have an old Toshiba player with same DVD-R/-RW specifications, and it will play DVD-R and DVD+R media that are bitset to DVD_ROM recordings but won't play DVD+R recordings. This Sony should have the same playback ability.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    According to the second review at http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-DAV-S300-Home-Cinema-System/dp/B00005Q3DO the unit supports DVD-R/-RW only and won't work with DVD+R/+RW recordings. I have an old Toshiba player with same DVD-R/-RW specifications, and it will play DVD-R and DVD+R media that are bitset to DVD_ROM recordings but won't play DVD+R recordings. This Sony should have the same playback ability.
    Re-read those user reviews with your reading glasses on this time. The second review at the link you gave says it does not play DVD-RW or DVD-R media:

    I bought this Sony-system a couple of years ago and have used it with pleasure. It is great to have a tuner, CD, and DVD-system in one. The sound on the system is great, especially with good DVD-films. However, the system now starts to show its age - it does not play CD-R/RW, DVD-R/RW, MP3s and multi-regional DVDs. I would love to upgrade just the player and keep the speakers. As long as you know the restriction of this system you will be satisfied.
    Quote Quote  
  8. AH, the curse of the combo system. We have a used Panasonic surround sound system which includes a DVD player - which does not upconvert, doesn't understand PAL, doesn't... On the other hand, the $12 price was quite reasonable.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Originally Posted by bevills1 View Post
    Re-read those user reviews with your reading glasses on this time. The second review at the link you gave says it does not play DVD-RW or DVD-R media:
    You're exactly right. I simply misread it initially. Sorry about that. However, that brings to mind another problem I had with my old Toshiba player. That Toshiba would also not play any recordings from LiteOn LVW-5005 recorder regardless of media type except DVD+R bitset to DVD-ROM which might work for the Sony. Another possibility is moserbaer media is low quality media from what I've read. I'd try bitsetting to DVD-ROM first and try better media if bitsetting doesn't fix the problem.
    Last edited by bevills1; 14th Apr 2013 at 10:31.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads