VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've had no idea these little devices existed until recent. and, now I'm wanting to buy one and am not wanting to read a bunch of different specs on each, I'd rather have peoples opinions that have used them and what they liked about them.

Heres what I'd like to have included.

USB for external HDD
    Netflix is a must
    Wifi would be a plus
    Compatible with almost every codec possible even though I mostly use AVI, MKV, or MP4

Another question does anyone know if there would be a channel on one of them for american soap operas? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by Tedbundy View Post
    Compatible with almost every codec possible
    Only a PC will allow that. Standalone media players are generally limited to Mpeg 1/2/4, FLV1, and WMV3 for video. I haven't tried the latest Roku players but they weren't very flexible a few years ago. I'm generally happy with my WDTV Live (the generation just before they added Netflix, the WDTV Live Plus, but the TV it's connected to has native NetFlix streaming). I use the WDTV Live mostly to view videos stored on my NAS. But it also has a 1TB USB drive connected.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Another vote for WD TV Live, I have the Plus version and really like it. Like the previous poster, I use the WDTV Live mostly to view videos stored on my NAS. Daughter watches NetFlix on it.

I think I saw a newer version with a full size remote the other day.
    Quote Quote  
  4. i also vote for the wdtv live plus it plays mkv,mp4 avi. i have a wd 3 terabyte live harddrive hooked to my wireless router and i can stream hd mkvs with dts with no problem. tried roku but they wanted all this information.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I like the Roku 2 XS. It has a USB port and a micro SD slot. They only support MKV and MP4 video formats, though. It also has a Netflix channel and wifi. I don't think it has a soap opera channel.

The latest Roku 3 does not have a USB port.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zerocoool View Post
    i tried roku but they wanted all this information.
    Paranoid much?

But to the OP, I've got both an older Roku and WD box. The WD is the best of the 2 for playing things from attached USB devices as it supports the most formats. The Roku is better at streaming video from the internet (ie. Netflix, Amazon, various channels you can add). It's been a few years since I set up the Roku but I don't remember it "wanting all this information" except for my logins to Amazon and Netflix so I can actually be able to stream. You have to live with whatever you feel comfortable with though. I can only say that I sure don't remember any excessive requirements and my best friend is a lawyer and he is extremely cautious (almost too cautious) when it comes to technology and he's got a Roku too and he's never complained about the info it wants.
    Quote Quote