VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Are there thread links or experienced users here for Aegisub subtitle editor? Have not been able to get specific answers in a sensible way so far. Aegis seems picky about what questions or processes they choose to answer. It is a very rish program but I'm look for step by step procedures for a specific video problem. In truth I have started the process with Aegis. I have been able to view the srt file in Aegis and tried a couple of techniques in the area of timing.

But I cannot find the right combination of commands for a file whose subs start _after_ a prolog and remain unsynced throughout the recording. I have considered tha thte film might have been capped from PAL but the subs rendered in NTSC. In any case I'd have to do a line by line. There is instruction for this in Aegis for Kaoroke but I've not been able to get the process down bringing all these things together.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post

But I cannot find the right combination of commands for a file whose subs start _after_ a prolog and remain unsynced throughout the recording. I have considered tha thte film might have been capped from PAL but the subs rendered in NTSC. In any case I'd have to do a line by line. There is instruction for this in Aegis for Kaoroke but I've not been able to get the process down bringing all these things together.

If this is a common theatrical release, it might be easier downloading from a subtitile site

Describe the sync issue - is it constant (e.g. always 1 sec off) , or progressively worseneing ?

If you want to add a delay or shift the timing (e.g. shift the timing to account for the prolog or something else) CTRL+I

If you want a framerate change e.g. PAL to NTSC etc..., use the transform framerate option during export (file=>export subtitles=>checkmark transform framerate)
    Quote Quote  
  3. I've been at this project for some time trying to figure it out using Aegisub and I'm seeking advice for using this program.

No the film is not in common release nor of a popular nature save for the fact that I've taken an interest in fixing it. I have done the subtitle search at opensubtitles and podnapsi.

When dealing with minutes and seconds it is hard to say if things are getting worse so I've determined that line by line is the only answer. I just need the technique.

I have noted the exact start point using the MAIN TITLE (all caps because descriptions have other uses for the words). That starts 2:42 after a prologue whose sound and video are fine but no sub was ever written for that portion. You may now see why I want to use Aegis sub line by line rather than some time tool (I've seen others) which simply add minutes or seconds to a text file?

I've done the simple frame rate change and at the start point of MAIN TITLE as well but that did not accomplish the goal. It's that prologue (or setup scene) which makes this subtitle job unique. And it's my first attempt. For all these reasons I want tot stick with Aegisub unless there is a magic bullet program that I have not already tried.

Also after loading the video and audio and finding that way to move the start point, something else I did had all subs rolling backward or something. Again this might have been a timing issue but I had to stop. I didn't know what I was doing at that point.

Subtitling is alien to me in style though I have worked with audio a bit in Goldwave and Audacity.

This is why I'm looking for a step by step procedure given that start point of 2:42

What I'll do here is start with that control L to shift timing meaning get the start point over the main video title. I may have gotten that saved off and done but I have to check on that.

Perhaps changing the start point caused that subtitle jam or whatever happened. I don't think I can duplicate it.

First step then is to get the start point satisfactory and then change sync to see if those work together.

Do you use GSpot to determine frame rate or some other tool? I will review GSpot data as well.

I appreciate the help. Aegis, for some reason, does not respond to novice questions readily. This is usually a sign that they have been at it too long and find the questions tedious. I had put myself on email alert for anything and checked back but got nothing from that forum.
    Quote Quote  
  4. What is the file format? gspot, mediainfo might help

If it's the correct subtitle, and problem is a constant shift, CTRL+I to shift to move the start point in sync . If it's a FPS change then use the framerate option

Those 2 cover the most common scenarios - it's analgous to video or audio work

It might be you have the wrong subtitles. e.g. different cut of the movie, some scenes deleted or added. Then you might have to go line by line (not fun) , hence the suggestion to look for subs already available .

I don't quite understand your description - If you mean the subs are missing the narrative in the beginning, just sync the start point of the existing subs to the corresponding part in the video, then add the narrative in

If it's not a common movie, look for some fan sites, or post the title, maybe someone has better Google skills or knows exactly where to look
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 4th Apr 2013 at 10:04.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It goes by a couple different names, one English and one French: La Diavolesse is the one that shows up on IMDb and the English title is Girl Slaves Of Morgana La Fey. The IMDb number is tt0206154

The GSpot details I thought relevant are:

Frame rate 23.976
    Audio Codec MPEG-1 Layer 3
    Xvid is the video Codec
    The meta data is ISFT VirtualDubMod 1.5.4.1
    Container AVI 2.0

The other thing to note is that Aegis and VLC both reveal Track 1 and Track 2 Audio. Track One is French, Track 2 is poorly done Spanish-- the audio is very muddy and you can here the translator click on microphone.

I have tried the two subtitle places mentioned. The film is one lost to history except for my interest in it as an example of a style. The style is referred to at IMDb as Eurotrash in the review. I have several of them. Other people's opinions on the artistic merit are not really relevant here. But I have done all the screwing around at subtitle sites I can stand. They are too riddled with ads and false clicks to bother with to any depth. The subtitle I have was found at Opensubtitles and they have a displayed message which appears first on this video. I have done the exact title searches and come up with nothing. If there is a way to search on an IMDb number (which I hadn't though of til now) please advise.

So let's proceed.

The main title with which I need to align the English subtitle (after the credits flash on who did the sub)
    occurs at minute 1:33 and has to be moved backward in time-- I think. It's very hard to look at the same series of frames over and over and stop fast enough to record the time. I have four panels open on Aegis: Video, Audio, subtitle file, and line of text box (on which I see a typo (!) )

The opening dialog sentence is currently aligned properly. I have not gone to the second line and Aegis does not want to play continuous.

How do I use the player in Aegis? It only lets me play the frames for the highlighted subtitle.

To review for this procedure:

Move MAIN TITLE subtitle to under MAIN TITLE of video manually which I may have to experiment with. How can I simply edit the start time of the main title sub backward and forward?

I'm not at the point where I can Control L or control anything else automatically. There is some guide for Karaoke for Aegis that might help with this.

Most of the Aegis user guide says that showing the video isn't even necessary. I don't know how this can be since audio is not the only thing that subtitling does.

and I need to fix that typo.

Please explain these things separately starting with continuous play of video inside Aegis.

Quote Quote  
  6. A followup.

Success again. My fix of the typo in the text box appears in the subtitle file.

I found Control/S to save and will reload to see if the change stayed edited.

Yes the subtitle has the typo corrected now.

Dragging and dropping will load the subtitle file but I'm having a problem doing it from the menu. The folder does not want to open and reveal the files in my work folder. Work folder has subtitle file and original video.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post

The opening dialog sentence is currently aligned properly. I have not gone to the second line and Aegis does not want to play continuous.

How do I use the player in Aegis? It only lets me play the frames for the highlighted subtitle.
    The 1st play button plays at the current position (continuous) , the 2nd button only plays only current line

Move MAIN TITLE subtitle to under MAIN TITLE of video manually which I may have to experiment with. How can I simply edit the start time of the main title sub backward and forward?
    Yes, just enter the value for the start time on the line entry. You probably don't want to do it that way, because none of the other sub timing will change. Unless they are already in sync, this will only affect 1 line...

It sounds to me like you want to shift all the values. I can't help without a better description of your problem

Dragging and dropping will load the subtitle file but I'm having a problem doing it from the menu. The folder does not want to open and reveal the files in my work folder. Work folder has subtitle file and original video.
    file=> open subtitles
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok for playing continuous.

Yes I want to change the main title line only because the first dialog line appears to be in sync.

When highlighting the main title in the sub file, no edit option appears-- only to move around. Does this mean that an edit can only be done from the srt text file in Notepad?
    Quote Quote  
  9. WOW, so it's only the Title entry that is out of sync ? The rest of the subs are in sync ? If so, that's is good fortune! Manually syncing subs is tedious work (it's like manually syncing audio & video)

When highlighting the main title in the sub file, no edit option appears-- only to move around. Does this mean that an edit can only be done from the srt text file in Notepad?
    What kind of "edit" do you mean ? If you want to edit the text (e.g. change letters etc..), when you select the line entry , the text will appear in the edit box above, you can make edits there . If you select another line entry , you will notice that the edit box changes to reflect the current line entry you have selected
    Quote Quote  
  10. Since the first dialog line is in sync I am now going to seek the second line and see what the time difference is. First line of dialog at 2:27 is ok and the rest of that scene but as I get used to seeing this it may need tweaking. The scene is very brief with only 5 lines of dialog.

Second scene shows the dialog off again. The subtitle is delayed from the audio and appears to have to be moved backward in time.

[I don't know if this is progressive at this point or consistent in the rest of the film.]
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    Since the first dialog line is in sync I am now going to seek the second line and see what the time difference is. First line of dialog at 2:27 is ok and the rest of that scene but as I get used to seeing this it may need tweaking. The scene is very brief with only 5 lines of dialog.

Second scene shows the dialog off again. The subtitle is delayed from the audio and appears to have to be moved backward in time.

[I don't know if this is progressive at this point or consistent in the rest of the film.]

The first thing you always want to check is if it's a progressive sync issue (timing gets worse and worse), or constant sync issue (e.g. 1 sec all the way through) . The reason is the 2nd case is easy to fix by shifting the timing, takes seconds to fix. Manually syncing might take hours to fix

Another thing you want to compare is the duration . If it's one of the common conversions e.g. PAL <=> NTSC there will be a known ratio, and it's fairly easy to "fix" . This will result in the progressive sync issue (timing gets worse, and worse)

The problem is, if you have different subs, or different cuts of the movie (e.g extended versions, or "directors cut") it can be difficult to tell (different scenes , like the intro part isn't in the subs you have, but is in the video)

If it's none of these "easy" scenarios, then you might have to bite the bullet and go line by line, manually syncing it
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    WOW, so it's only the Title entry that is out of sync ? The rest of the subs are in sync ? If so, that's is good fortune! Manually syncing subs is tedious work (it's like manually syncing audio & video)

No it's pretty ragged but I wanted to quote here to avoid confusion. Other posts show that while it is unlikely to have to do scene by scene, I do not see a pattern yet. It's French and I have to go by ear since I don't speak the language.

What kind of "edit" do you mean ? If you want to edit the text (e.g. change letters etc..), when you select the line entry , the text will appear in the edit box above, you can make edits there . If you select another line entry , you will notice that the edit box changes to reflect the current line entry you have selected
    Yes I referred to my success on that in a separate entry and saved with Control/S. But the text box does not contain the time stamp information.

How do I change the numbers? It is possible to change the numbers in the srt file but only through the text editor so far as I have been able to do it. The display of subtitles in Aegis does not allow to edit-- only move/duplicate lines. Even the items greyed out do not show editing the time stamp.

There is likely another area of the program I have not explored yet. I also would like to learn the four finger system referred to in the guide. And we haven't touch on using the audio panel at all.

Last edited by loninappleton; 4th Apr 2013 at 14:22. Reason: grammar
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post

Yes I referred to my success on that in a separate entry and saved with Control/S. But the text box does not contain the time stamp information.

How do I change the numbers? It is possible to change the numbers in the srt file but only through the text editor so far as I have been able to do it. The display of subtitles in Aegis does not allow to edit-- only move/duplicate lines. Even the items greyed out do not show editing the time stamp.

There is likely another area of the program I have not explored yet. I also would like to learn the four finger system referred to in the guide. And we haven't touch on using the audio panel at all.

You're probably not looking at the correct window. I'm referring to the editing area . You can edit the timing directly in the edit box. There will be 3 numbers, start, end and duration for the entry. Just change the numbers e.g. start time, push enter, or the commit button

If you mouse over the button or boxes there will be tool tips explanation as well

http://docs.aegisub.org/3.0/Editing_Subtitles/
    Go here and scroll down a bit , Look at the screenshot. Boxes 6,7,8 are start, end, and duration

It's tough to make a complaint about free software, but if you have suggestions or feedback, maybe about usability features you can post in their forum . There are expensive subtitling software available , and the purchase price includes support
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm not making a complaint, just trying to understand it. I'll load the sub file again, highlight a line and see if that will do the edit. My tries at this have simply not allowed number changes but I'll try it again.

If I can edit the time stamp in Aegis, I should edit both the start and stop times, yes ? or the sub will hang on the screen too long.

This is a rich program but the learning curve is pretty high.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post

If I can edit the time stamp in Aegis, I should edit both the start and stop times, yes ? or the sub will hang on the screen too long.

Yes, you'll probably need to edit both, but another method is to enter the start and duration , and the end will be automatically filled . Assuming the duration is correct from the original and matches the video this is probably a "better" way to do it . All you need to do is enter the start time, put the cursor in the duration box, push enter . If the cursor isn't in the duration box (if it's in the start box) when you push enter, the end time will be the same as the original, and the duration will change
    Quote Quote  
  16. You were right: I was in the wrong box. Right above the text edit box is the time edit adjustment which looks very similar to setting time on the Windows clock with insert delete etc.

On the video panel my subtitle now appears aligned with the main title. I also shortened the length by the 3 seconds that seem to be skewed.

At another time I might have fixed the first dialog so that was ok. I have come back to Aegis after some absence.

Moving forward to the second scene I can try the same 3 seconds and see if that syncs with the video.
    then the one after that.

I have printed out the Shift Times instruction from the Aegis manual. Perhaps that can be used when a pattern develops.

Expect my progress tomorrow. I have made a good advance today and I have patience if a full line edit is needed.
    Quote Quote  
  17. One last thing today.
    Duration. Is that simply the interval for the display time of the sub and what if the duration looks to be uniform at one second display?

I have found the first line of dialog for the second scene and am going to edit the same three seconds to see if that puts it right.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    One last thing today.
    Duration. Is that simply the interval for the display time of the sub and what if the duration looks to be uniform at one second display?

I have found the first line of dialog for the second scene and am going to edit the same three seconds to see if that puts it right.

yes, it's display time.

Duration = (end time) - (start time)
    Quote Quote  
  19. If I didn't make hand notes I'd be lost already.

First, I see no duration button anywhere, nor is one mentioned in a search I did.

My hand editing has produced more timing errors than it has fixed. There is something adding time to the lines.

And the lines I have changed the times in have disappeared. This measn I have accidentally delted something and don't know how it happened.

The simple save technique I've used the previous day is Control/S. The "Check mark" icon to save the text did not work as expected.

I know of nowhere in the manual that these errors are addressed. I can retrieve the unmodified original .srt (I think). But these deletion problems are very frustrating.

How is the default subtitle duration set and which control key combination activates it....
    and without deleting the line?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post

First, I see no duration button anywhere, nor is one mentioned in a search I did.
    There is no button; it's an entry box. Re read post 15 more clearly.

I know of nowhere in the manual that these errors are addressed. I can retrieve the unmodified original .srt (I think). But these deletion problems are very frustrating.
    I doubt there are any errors in the program, they are probably "user errors" .

Make a copy of the original srt or download another one.

How is the default subtitle duration set and which control key combination activates it....
    and without deleting the line?
    Read post 15 more clearly.

Duration is set if start and end time are filled . The program automatically fills the duration. If you want the same duration, just shift the start time, follow the instructions in post 15
    Quote Quote  
  21. The box is called Line Duration. All this would be less confusing if one didn't have to peek under the rocks and read bubble info that pops up. You perhaps can understand how slow this is.

The Check mark box fixes the text- not the time. My user error.
    I was able (sort of) by using Undo to get my missing lines back.
    This leaves writing the times in and having them stick without more deletions.

Here's what I see since your post 15 is not getting me there.

Changing the start time also changed the end time to the _same_ number. Nothing is working automagically but the Line Duration box will add some time. The cursor and the duration box are not interacting. A hover over does nothing.

I noted line duration was at 0:00:03.00 which must be a default.

Like I said, the Line Duration box adds the amount of time from the _start line_. This is like trying to tell someone how to tie their shoes by remote control.

Elsewhere I have a line of text in red and do not know what it means. I wind up staring at the screen not knowing what to do.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I putzed around a bit.
    Another user error which I will cop to:

What was displayed for whatever reason was a tiny fraction of a second that I was not used to reading as a number.

The Line Duration can be set and, if not tampered with, will advance the end time. For instance 1.00 for one second.

I am nowhere near out of the woods yet on this.
    I still do not know how my lines were deleting while changing times. Does this have to do with text shown in red?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Maybe something is wrong with your subs or your aegisub version?

Give me an example of a line for you're trying to do. Upload your original srt. What are you trying to change ?

Like I said, the Line Duration box adds the amount of time from the _start line_. This is like trying to tell someone how to tie their shoes by remote control.
    No, if you enter a start and end, push enter, the duration will be automatically calculated by the formula in post 18.

The duration box won't change, for example if you change the start time after the end time - this is just common sense. The formula is listed in post 18 . You can't have a "negative" duration

Changing the start time also changed the end time to the _same_ number. Nothing is working automagically but the Line Duration box will add some time. The cursor and the duration box are not interacting. A hover over does nothing.
    Hover is supposed to do nothing, until you push enter . And I don't mean "hover" - just left click in the duration box

Change the start time, don't push enter, move cursor to click in the duration box (again it's not "hover"), left click, push enter . The end box will automatically change according to the old duration . Of course, if the old duration is incorrect for this new video line, you have to edit both start and end times. This technique just shifts the line, but preserves the duration

eg. Let's say I want to move this line 5 seconds earlier, but preserving the timing duration
    0:00:10.60 0:00:14.43 0:00:03.83

I change the start time, don't push enter , then move over the 3rd box, left click, push enter . This is the result. The line is shifted in time 5 seconds earlier
    0:00:05.60 0:00:09.43 0:00:03.83

I still do not know how my lines were deleting while changing times. Does this have to do with text shown in red?
    Red lines usually mean problem, like overlapping lines . You have to check the lines to make sure the times don't overlap
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 6th Apr 2013 at 15:19.
    Quote Quote  
  24. We are getting overlapping posts here as well. Catch up should be done soon.

The red line problem cleared up when I deleted some duplicate lines and finished with the Undo operation.

There may be some answers in the Shift Times routine (special box.)

I will see if I can put an attachment to the .srt. Don't worry. This film is pretty lightweight. Just a country ride and going to an inn. I suppose I could snip a couple of scenes-- the first two.

But I should be able to do this. I'm going to go through Shift Times and see if a batch process can solve this-- solve it from the first dialog line.

I think you are right: the prolog was maybe attached to the front end of this. Recall that GSpot reported
    the use of VirtualDubMod. But playing with the 3 seconds as a batch may put things right. I'll review the text on it.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I stared at the screen a bit more. And the manual says that a lot of time can be wasted outside of a process way of working: the four finger thing etc.

What I was doing was looking at the video screen: noting the time and copying the time into the audio/time pane. But nothing lines up yet. Is there a way to work in the audio panel only since the video panel does not update changes.

Put simply: can I note the time of dialog on the video screen and then straighten out things in the audio panel? 'Been paying too much attention to the lower subtitle panel which simply records the changes-- and the errors.

I'll try an attachment when I edit down an srt sample
    Quote Quote  
  26. I don't think anything is "wrong" with your video or srt, it's probably overlapped times

It might help if you watched some basic tutorials on youtube, then you can adapt it to your own "process" or way of doing things. Sometimes it helps seeing how an example is done

Here are some basic ones
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5U_mFbspYA
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSiM1Dr9BnM

There are dozens more if you search

You want to see if you can shift the timing or if a framerate change is the correct "fix", before you attempt editing individual lines ."Wasting" a few minutes , is better than a few hours, or days

If you don't like this style or interface , there are other programs available , many are free
    Quote Quote  
  27. From yesterday my attachment didn't come through. I don't see the message for it at all.

What the srt shows is subtitle displaying for a uniform 1 second each and then going to the next audio start point. The srt was successfully shifted to minute 2:42:00 from the first minute on the original due to the prologue issue.

Next message will just say attachment.

I'll look at the videos. At Aegis they mention such things but never seemed to do much with it.
    Quote Quote  
  28. attachment... morgansrt
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by loninappleton View Post
    What I was doing was looking at the video screen: noting the time and copying the time into the audio/time pane. But nothing lines up yet. Is there a way to work in the audio panel only since the video panel does not update changes.
    The following commands on the Timing menu may help you somewhat:
    • Snap Start to Video
    • Snap End to Video
    • Snap to Scene
    • Shift to Current Frame
    All apply to the selected/current subtitle and all have a keyboard shortcut (which you can re-assign). Especially the last command is useful for moving a whole block to a new starting point, but keeping the offsets between individual lines in the block intact.

There are also various keyboard shortcuts for committing changes, and a whole host of configurable options around that. Look in the Options menu for options containing the word 'commit', and also in the Audio pane. They may mean nothing to look at initially, but take the time to play with them to understand their effect, before setting them up in a way that works for you. If I remember correctly, there are also keyboard shortcuts for navigating through the subtitle list, so you never need to click in the subtitles grid anymore if you don't want to.

Cheers,
    Francois
    Quote Quote  
  30. Thanks for reply and I'm glad the thread is still going. I have viewed the two tutorial you tubes listed above but still do not have much hands on skill with doing any of this. Earlier I got the request to give a sample of the srt which I provided at post # 28. Does that suggest
    what needs to be done with this project.

The videos showed how to hand line by line with lead in and lead out. The detail of Aegisub is quite amazing and appears to be "commercial grade" which for a first time user seems complex.

I've found I have to change the way I look at it and concentrate on the audio and text panels.

If I have moved the start point of everything forward to minute 2:42 to compensate for the prologue (which is not translated/subtitled) then is there any compensation needed for the dialog that follows which is consistent throughout the rest of the film? Can I analyze this with frame rate rather than time stamps? I saw that on the videos. Even on the videos there's a lot of mouse movement which is hard to track.

In the audio panel I got stuck playing the same frame over and over. I know how to play continuous video now, but how to I get continuous audio going? I have at least done a bit of audio editing previously but not much.

Here's what may help: Analyze completely the first line of dialog for Begin, End, Lead In, Lead Out and synchronization. It feels like starting over but I think this will reveal more process.

I will see what that first line looks like with the audio details and report back.
    Quote Quote