VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys

I just want to do some simple scene cutting.

I use avi demux to edit my avi files.

Can I also use it to edit mp4 and mkv and m4v files ?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    yes
    Quote Quote  
  3. Avidemux is a free video editor designed for simple cutting, filtering and encoding tasks. Tasks can be automated using projects, job queue and powerful scripting capabilities. It supports most video formats like DVD, VOB, AVI, DivX, XviD, WMV, MPG, MP4, AVI, MOV, MKV, DV, FLV.
    Don't be fooled by the avi in AviDemux
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But it wont work perfect with all mp4 and mkv. Expect lots of crashes....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that was what I was thinking - why is it called avidemux and not everythingdemux ?

So what are some good free edits for mp4 and mkv ?

Or is there one that does mp4 and mkv and avi that way I only need to get good with one program.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try Video to Video Converter. Under the Tools button there's a "commercial remover", which I assume doesn't limit you to editing out just commercials. It should let you edit and rejoin lots of different file types without re-encoding.

It's been a while, but I think you open the Commercial Remover, then use it to open the file for editing. It'll only edit on keyframes (which is normal unless you re-encode), which means you mightn't always be able to edit exactly where you want to, but it'll automatically choose the nearest keyframe when setting the edit points. In order to edit more exactly you'd need to re-encode. Once you've finished editing, a new window opens in order to choose the encoding method. You'd select "Direct Stream Copy" in order not to encode anything, then use the normal "Convert" button in order to get Video To Video Converter to edit the video and rejoin the sections for you.

It might be possible to get Video To Video Converter to do "smart cutting", ie it'll cut the video exactly where you tell it to and just re-encode the area around the cut point if necessary, but I've not experimented with it myself to see if it'll do that, or whether for precise editing you need to re-encode everything.

I don't use Video To Video Converter for much actual converting myself, as it gives you virtually no control over any encoder settings, but for those "odd jobs" which most other GUIs won't do, it's a very handy program to have installed.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Hello Hello

Thanks but I am not interested in using some obscure program that no one has heard of!

There are lots of them out there.
    But I want to use one that is well known and gets updated and has good support in the forums etc.

I am also not interested in "It should let you edit and rejoin lots of different file types"
    Quote Quote  
  8. MP4, AVI and MKV are notoriously difficult to cut exactly. Most edit to keyframes and the best free one I've used is:
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/SolveigMM-AVI-Trimmer
    It does AVI and MKV, not MP4 unfortunately.
    It's from a commercial company and is updated regularly.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Digmen1 View Post
    @Hello Hello

Thanks but I am not interested in using some obscure program that no one has heard of!
    Oh sorry. I should have suggested that really well known program which everyone uses but nobody has bothered mentioning yet. Now what was it again...... AviDemux??

Originally Posted by Digmen1 View Post
    There are lots of them out there.
    But I want to use one that is well known and gets updated and has good support in the forums etc.
    I'll await with interest to see which program that'll be.

Originally Posted by Digmen1 View Post
    I am also not interested in "It should let you edit and rejoin lots of different file types"
    Oh.... so you're wanting a program which will do what you want it to do, is well known even though you don't know about it, which everybody has heard of but nobody has bothering mentioning yet, has good support in the forums even though you haven't been able to find it yourself by looking through the forum, and is limited to working with just the file types you want to work with yourself.

Comedy gold!

Errrr..... there's even a portable version you can try by simply downloading it and unzipping it. No installation necessary. What have you got to lose, besides some silly assumptions? Either it'll split your files, or it won't. I wouldn't have recommended it if it hadn't worked successfully for me, whether you've heard of it or not. I've even used it to remux video and audio from one container to another while splitting/editing at the same time.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 2nd Apr 2013 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @Hello hello

Sorry I did not mean to insult or upset you.

But over the years when I have asked for similar requests some people push a program they are selling or involved with that I have never heard of or seen mentioned.

And of course I come to this forum because it has so many experts on it and I was hoping there was such a program out that that does what i wanted, but it seems there is not.

Is suppose it makes sense that one program cannot work on entirely different codecs.

Oh well.

Thanks for the help and I may try that program.
    Quote Quote