VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Joshua Brinley Jacks_Daddy07's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Recently purchased a new laptop (Samsung Series 5) with the following specs:

Windows 8 (64-bit)
    Intel Core i5 3230M
    6GB Ram
    750 GB HD

I will not be playing any games on this machine hence the reason I went with the i5. Occasionally I would like to rip a DVD and convert it over for playback on a pc. What I would like to know is what programs are being successfully used to do this with Windows 8.
    Last edited by Baldrick; 1st Apr 2013 at 14:34. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dfab
    Quote Quote  
  3. Joshua Brinley Jacks_Daddy07's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    trying to download and run DVDFab (April 2013 release) but i keep getting corrupted file messages. anyone else having this issue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you want to just rip it or compress it as well .......

To rip your really need DVDFab Passkey (free or paid) or SlySoft AnyDVD (free or paid) as these will remove copy protection allowing you to backup your DVDs

Then use something like VidCoder (100% free) that will take a ripped DVD and compress it to a single file

Or use MakeMKV which will take a DVD/blu-ray and convert it to a single .mkv file that is an exact copy of what you ripped so has zero quality loss. It simply convert the source DVD to an MKV file
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by steptoe View Post
    To rip your really need DVDFab Passkey (free or paid) or SlySoft AnyDVD (free or paid) as these will remove copy protection allowing you to backup your DVDs
    Although you may try before you buy it, there's no free version of AnyDVD. AnyDVD does NOT at present do conversions or shrinking. It is for ripping only.

As far as I can tell DVDFab doesn't make any more free products at all, but you can try before you buy. They do some conversions, but most people here don't think they're very good at it. That is to say other programs do a better job of encoding. DVDFab is also somewhat infamous for sucking people into the old game of "Oh, you wanted to do THAT? Yeah, you're going to have to pay extra to do that." where the version you bought doesn't really do what you thought it did.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a free version of AnyDVD ripper, BUT everytime you use it you have to click through endless nag reminders until it eventually starts to rip. So, in a way it is FREE as nothing is restricted but you will soon get fed up of the time wasting and buy it
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jacks_Daddy07 View Post
    Recently purchased a new laptop (Samsung Series 5) with the following specs:

Windows 8 (64-bit)
    Intel Core i5 3230M
    6GB Ram
    750 GB HD

I will not be playing any games on this machine hence the reason I went with the i5. Occasionally I would like to rip a DVD and convert it over for playback on a pc. What I would like to know is what programs are being successfully used to do this with Windows 8.
    You already have suggestions for ripping software, but to recommend converters, we need to know what you want to convert to. For example XVid in AVI, H.264 in MKV, MPEG-2 in MPG, etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Assuming you are 'converting it for playback on a pc' we assume you mean compressing it, to something like MKV. VidCoder will do that easily and its 100% free, very easy to use with all the default settings but also has the option to 'tweak' it how you want once you decide to adjust the settings

Have a look in the BIOS to see if you can overclock the processor to squeeze a bit more out of it, BUT as its a laptop you will probably be struggling to cool it so may be restricted to what you can overclock it by (if at all)

Different ball game, but I have an i5 2500k desktop running very happily at 4.5ghz with 16GB memory as I also use huge panoramas in PhotoShop/LightRoom (and will be looking at taking that to the motherboards maximum 32GB at some point). And took 5 minutes to overclock it and has been since I built it about 12 months ago. But then again I built the system with overclocking designs so choose hardware quite carefully at that time that would manage that without pushing the processor to much and having it running too close to its thermal limit (on air without heading down the water cooling route) and also without too much financial outlay

I use it mainly for video/photo work, but have the option to play games with the Nvidia GTX460 I also installed and also for GPU useage with software that supports GPU offloading like some operations in PhotoShop/LightRoom without breaking the bank
    Quote Quote