VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, there!

Please let me ask you, is anybody of you aware of a DVD-R or DVD+R (preferred) that includes lines on top and lines on bottom? Obviously, these lines serve as guides to write stuff on the discs with a felt-tip marker. I am talking about something like this CDR (but as DVDR):

http://gfx.cdmediaworld.com/c/kodak_cd-r74_gold_ultima_mexico_top.jpg

I am really very bad with writing info on my DVDR's with a felt-tip marker as my sentences are almost never straight. Thus, having these lines would be extremely useful for me.

Thank you,

Carlos Albert "Disco Makberto"

P.S.: Yes, I know. There are other methods to write stuff on the surface of DVDR's. Kudos for such. In the meantime, what would work best for me is my felt-tip marker and DVDR's with the aforementioned lines.

P.P.S.: I forgot. I have found some DVDR's with lines on the bottom; however, I am looking for DVDR's with lines on both the top and the bottom.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I know you've been around for a while and I am surprised that you seem to not know this, but you need to know that all DVDs are NOT the same. The ONLY consistent high quality manufacturers left are Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim. Everything Verbatim makes is good except their cheap "Life" series. Note that this is not the same as their excellent "DataLifePlus" series of discs.

Verbatim makes some DVDs where you can write on the bottom on lines. I think it's foolish to buy low quality discs, if you can even find some that meet your requirements, just to be able to have lines on them but it's not my money to waste. Here's an example of what Verbatim has:
    http://www.verbatim.com/prod/optical-media/dvd/dvd-recordable/dvd-r/
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hey, jman98!

Thanks for your advice.

Yes, I certainly agree with what you said. For this reason, these DVDR's are not intended as the original copies but as back ups only. Additionally, for some extra important data, I also use a cloud storage (more than one to be precise).

It is nice to know that Taiyo Yuden has some interested media, that is, with lines on the bottom.

Again, I think you are right, and I don't intend to use these DVDR's as first line. Had it not been for the fact that I don't own any BD burner, I would also consider BD discs (on the forum there are discussions about good experiences with some).

Cordialest regards,

Carlos Albert "D-Mak"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Dear folks,

I would like to bring an update to this topic, and please excuse me for my delay in letting you know, but here I am. Also, as far as I know, this is a first all over the Internet (as of January 2015). I am more than glad to share my little knowledge here at VideoHelp.

There is nowhere to find information about DVDR's with lines on top and lines on bottom (in reference to the writable face of the discs). I have been able to find some, but again, no reviewers mention these facts at all.

To begin with, there is some Maxell DVD-R's and Maxell DVD+R's in the MaxData line. The DVD-R's are in gold color and the DVD+Rs' are in silver color. You can see a DVD-R in gold color here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-R#mediaviewer/File:Maxell_Branded_DVD-R.JPG

If you see this disc closely, you can find out that it has lines, dotted lines, that is, on top and bottom. Although they are not easily visible, they are there, and they can be used as guides to write on the disc. Alternatively, although this is not really critical, you can place light pencil lines over the dotted lines (or over some of them), and these pencil lines can then be easily erased after your work is done. A stick eraser can be used to erase these pencil lines, but remember to make these lines as light as possible to ease the process of erasing them.

To continue, there is the "Maxell DVD-R Color (5 Pack)" and the "Maxell DVD+R Color (5 Pack)". You can see a "Maxell DVD+R Color" here:

http://maxell-usa.com/product_521.html

You can easily see that these type of discs have real lines, not dotted lines, on top and bottom. Unfortunately, they are only sold as 5-disc packs, and they come in colors (yellow, blue, green...). Still, they offer real lines to write on top and bottom.

During my journey, I ran into some other DVDR discs with lines on top and bottom. However, they are either discontinued or look as if they are discontinued.

I hope this information helps.

Carlos Albert
    D-Mak

P.S.: Remember to create backups of all your work! Don't rely on a single source!
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    They are crap,refer to the older posts on the best dvd+/-r.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Seriously ?!?!?!?
    A member of 10 years and you dig up your own 2 year old thread to talk about some crap media ?!?!?!
    Oy Vey!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hey, johns0!

I agree. That is why I said: "Don't rely on a single source". When they fail, I can make use of my backups, and re-record as needed, keeping the backups intact. Of course, I would definitely prefer top-notch DVDR's with lines on top and bottom, but they don't exist.

Cheers,

Carlos Albert
    D-Mak

P.S.: Too bad BD discs (and players/burners) are still relatively expensive, at least for me. They would make excellent backups.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hey, Noahtuck!

Thank you for your opinion.

I believe they are not good as a primary source, but as a secondary source, I see nothing wrong. On the other hand, if you know excellent DVDR discs with lines of top and bottom, please post to the group. Of course, there are excellent DVDR's mentioned by jman98, for example, but they don't have lines. Again, these lines might not be important for some, but for me, they are.

Regards,

Carlos Albert
    D-Mak
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Seriously ?!?!?!?
    A member of 10 years and you dig up your own 2 year old thread to talk about some crap media ?!?!?!
    Oy Vey!!!!!!
    I think it's better to repost in your own thread even if it's a couple years old than to open a new thread to update what was said.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hello again, johns0!

Thank you for you positive opinion.

Yes, I was thinking about that before posting. I didn't know if I should open a new thread or re-open the old one. Finally, I decided to re-open the old one, but I tried to do it consciously and courteously. That is why I started with something like: "Please excuse me for my delay in updating this topic". I hope I did nothing wrong.

Carlos Albert
    D-Mak
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The backup copy should also be on good media. If you can't use good media for both copies, the copy that is handled the most should be on the less reliable media. You are more likely to need to replace a disc that is handled frequently anyway.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 31st Jan 2015 at 08:44.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Indeed, usually_quiet! In this sense, I believe that BD's are the most reliable media among optical discs as of now, so I hope to have backups of my stuff on that media in the near future, not to mention that a BD can contain many DVD's and even more CD's. And let's not forget alternative approaches such as the cloud.

Carlos Albert
    D-Mak

P.D.: Of course, there are some differences between "good quality BD's" and "bad quality BD's", but generally speaking, BD's are more reliable that either CD's or DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Disco Makberto View Post
    Indeed, usually_quiet! In this sense, I believe that BD's are the most reliable media among optical discs as of now,
    No way. Not even close. Blu-ray is as fragile as CD-R, and is physically constructed terribly.
    DVD is truly archival, being a 50/50 sandwich.

But you need good media. And "gold" isn't it. (Gold makes for pretty jewelry, but crap for blank optical discs.)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote