VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi!I just discovered this forum looking for a way to convert AC3 to AAC and I successfully accomplished that task.

What I am looking to do now,if you guys can help me,is to change the Aspect Ratio (AR) of an MP4 container (H264.AAC,SRT 16:9 720P) to 4:3 AR so that I can play the video file without the black bars (letterboxing).

I tried getting some APPS that are able to stretch the movie to fill the screen but when I use those APPS and stream content VIA UPNP Media Server(s),the playback is choppy,laggy and in some scenes the image is pixelated and turn greenish.

When I use the default Media Player that is implemented in the iOS (QuickTime I think) or the Ipod Plugin found in those APPS settings,the movie plays smoothly,perfect.The only downside is that I'm not able to change the AR using the Plugin.

So what I'm looking for is to play video files on the whole screen of the iPad (4:3 AR).

I also have a question regarding the AR.If you change the AR of a video file(16:9 to 4:3),can this affect the quality?

I know that this ISN'T an iPad forum but I thought you guys can help me with a recommendation of a program or with a HOW TO FOR DUMMIES tutorial.

Thank you in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use two fingers to expand the image to fill the screen. No need to permanantly damage your files. Or many players (such as vimeo) have an icon in the upper right corner with arrows that expand or contract to fill the screen.
    Last edited by smrpix; 30th Mar 2013 at 08:00.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the reply.

Yes,but I think that it's just zooming.I want to fill the screen without losing the side parts of the movie.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Some apps support just (AR-constrained) zooming, some support that and "stretch-to-fill". Realize this will change the aspect ratio away from it's originally intended setting.
    Not familiar with the range of Movie apps on iOS devices, so can't help there...

IIWY, I'd get used to living with letterboxing.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. First expand your video to fill the screen. Then stretch your ipad to match the video. I made a demo below.

http://youtu.be/z4UF04j35Kc

Easy Peasy.
    Quote Quote  
  6. @Cornucopia

Oh,ok.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    First expand your video to fill the screen. Then stretch your ipad to match the video. I made a demo below.

http://youtu.be/z4UF04j35Kc

Easy Peasy.
    Yes, but you have to pay extra to buy the RUBBER ipad models!!

For the OP, there are only 3 ways to EVER fit a piece of media intended for one AR into a display intended for another AR:
    1 & 2. Zoom in/out, while retaining natural proportions - you will either zoom til ONE (the longer) dimension fills the display's dimension and the other dimension (the shorter) has remaining unused area (padding), known as letterboxing/pillarboxing,
    or you will zoom til the OTHER dimension (the shorter of the 2) fills the display's dimension and the 1st dimension (the longer one) is CROPPED (losing some of the original material).
    3. Zoom in/out without retaining natural proportions (aka Stretching, anamorphicly). This will match the new AR, but circles will now be ovals and squares will now be rectangles (and people will now get fat or skinny without having to overeat/diet).
    That last one could have a more advanced version with "zones" where the center of the image is stretched much less than the very edges, but similar issues arise (just transformed in more complicated ways).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think I just have to get used to the letterboxing as you sugested earlier.No biggie.

Thank you Cornucopia for all the help and detailed replies!
    Quote Quote