VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Evening all,
    Newbie question. I like the look of the WDTV Live Hub but need to be sure it'll play my preferred files.

I back up with DVD Magic Ripper which creates a folder with .BUP and .IFO files. The WD blurp says it will play VOB but no mention of these others. I could convert to a different file, but would rather save time and get them straight on the device.

Any help appreciated.
    Dave
    Quote Quote  
  2. The WDTV Live series can play VIDEO_TS folders (menus, extras, etc.). BUP are backups of the IFO files. They aren't needed unless the IFO is corrupt. IFO files are basically the instructions that tell the player how to handle menus, playback, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Cheers jagabo,
    Guess it'll be alright then.

Dave
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought one of these things 2 days ago. It works, but, there is way too much stuff to do with it, I just want to play movies on the TV. I think its overly complicated. I have an old Argosy player with delightfully simple functions. Its getting to act wierd, & no one is selling them in the good old US of A anymore, & no one sells a player with internal hdd that I can find. I got tired of trying to make the wireless work & have cat5 cable strung from office to lining room to unit. All inet stuff works ok but Im really not interested in 95% of that.
    Upgrading the firmware was a snap, tho. I will stumble along for a bit & then start asking questions. Y'all have been warned!!! (also, to help understand my thought processes, I am 67 yr. old).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi cornemuse,

If you have a PC, just install SERVIIO or UNIVERSAL MEDIA SERVER or PLEX and check your videos folder. The WD will play all movies, only tap play.

U can convert all to MKv/MP4 files using RIPBOT/VIDCODER.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    For 'just' watching movies at home, I dont understand what the benefit is to mkv/mp4, etc, over iso images, or even vob, (I have issues with vob files), why convert?? (size is not an issue).

Dude, I watched 'City of Men' last night. On my Argosy, not the WDLive. Good flick tho.

I hooked up a usb hdd yesterday to view some photos, they are in many folders, many imgs in more than one folder, diff folders = diff topics = various slideshows. Initally, when going to 'photos' every img on hdd was grouped together, like 6,000, in order, same ones 6+ times in a row. Got that fixed, & a few other things, coming together SLOOOWLY.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cornemuse View Post
    Originally Posted by Cauptain View Post
    For 'just' watching movies at home, I dont understand what the benefit is to mkv/mp4, etc, over iso images, or even vob, (I have issues with vob files), why convert?? (size is not an issue).

Dude, I watched 'City of Men' last night. On my Argosy, not the WDLive. Good flick tho.

I hooked up a usb hdd yesterday to view some photos, they are in many folders, many imgs in more than one folder, diff folders = diff topics = various slideshows. Initally, when going to 'photos' every img on hdd was grouped together, like 6,000, in order, same ones 6+ times in a row. Got that fixed, & a few other things, coming together SLOOOWLY.

MKV/MP4 are more compatibles with many devices like SmartTVs, Smartphones, Tablets, Videogames...Size never issue, compatibility is.

Do you like Acerola and Laranjinha? Funny movie

That is the advantage of using a mediaserver. You can choose the best method to view by album, year, month, list, folders...

Quote Quote  
  8. I have two WD media devices. One has a 1TB hdd built in. I don't find it difficult to use at all. For DVD/bluray movies I rip the main movie and convert to mp4, for episodic TV discs I create a disc image (.iso) to retain the menus. In all the years I've been using them I have only found one thing it won't play. The wdtv does not support uncompdessed bluray subtitles (pgs). That can be fixed very simply by remuxing with mkvmerge. All of my video files (except for .iso) are stored on a dedicated media server utilizing Plex. I have no problems with wireless in a two story house.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At first, when I hit the 'subtitle' button, I got the subtitles, but lost ALL audio. Had to turn off the unit & back on again, go figure. Clicked the zoom button & screen went to techicolor hurl, go figure. Both while watching video. Clicked 'enter to watch a certain movie, played the next movie on the list, will NOT play that movie, Argosy plays it just fine. Computer plays it just fine, g f.

The wireless is not an issue, Argosy was set up with dongle but after inital use, I went to usb hdd, or copy flics to internal hdd. I rip to argosy & watch,& save good flics to 1 t usb hdd. Generally, everything is ripped to movie only, iso only.

I dont know if anyone else has noticed, but the way wINDOZE copies files, nothing is copied in any kind of order, all the files are EVERYWHERE all over the drive & sometimes there is a noticeable pause while the heads move to next file (VOB) or sector or whatever.
    My 1st Argosy player played only ripped as dvd files/folders, & it annoyed me to no end. The Argosy menu is extremely simple & does everything & more that I want.
    Even has volume control, I cant find that on my wdlive.

I do like that I can use a usb hub and I am using a usb keyboard, <- like that too.

Im slowly figuring it out. And getting over it. "I'll live"
    Quote Quote