VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I know a bluray player isn't the best file player solution. But I am interested in getting my Sony BDP-s1100 fully accessorized.

I just bought a toshiba 2tb harddrive and I loaded a muxed bluray rip (into a m2ts file via tsmuxer) and it played the 25gb movie only file just fine - its a powered external usb drive fyi. However the dts track only plays in stereo over usb.

Obviously I am not looking to go into avchd with a 25gb uncompressed bluray rip (ok I know bluray isn't really uncompressed but I mean I haven't compressed it any further). Although I guess its hit or miss if some players can handle dts in a avchd structure anyway.

I did convert the track to ac3 640kpbs and it worked great in 5.1 (albeit I got the wrong language track so I'll have to reconvert but the proof of concept worked in surround sound via ac3 a-ok). SO it can do 5.1 over usb it just doesn't seem to want to do dts. Fyi it was downconverted dts - downconverted via tsmuxer in the main muxing passing.

Could something have happened in the muxing process with tsmuxer when the dts core was taken? Should I just pull the dts core with eac3to from original bluray rip that I still have on my harddrive?

Or is this not possible with my sony bluray player?

Also I'm tempted to do the conversion to ac3 anyway to save a gig or so per movie even though the 2tb drive is monstrous (ok 1.8tb formatted or so but you know what I mean).

I did go through the audio settings but didn't see any bitstream options. The darndest thing is it will play dts off of plain old dvds just fine and will recognize dts-ma off of professional pressed blurays aok (my player is connected via digital coax to my non-hdmi amp). So the point is I can play dts off of disc sources just fine and they read and play in multichannel surround sound as they are supposed to.

The problem is dts on a file on a usb drive is only playing back in stereo even though when I hit the display button on the player it shows its a 5.1 dts track as its supposed to be.

Is this an inherent problem with standard issue non modified bluray players these days? I bought the player brand new at Target the other week. The manual has a 2013 print date so I'm assuming its a recent model.

As stated I may just go ahead and take the extra time to process to ac3 anyway to save space on my dts-ma discs but if I could use the dts cores and get 5.1 surround sound out of them it would save time on my rip and encode and copy to usb drive process (since tsmuxer has an extract core option in it).

I haven't done a full internet search yet on this issue but I thought I'd check here first to see if this dts issue is common and I should just give up and convert to ac3 640kpbs anyway.

Thanks.

By the way I loved it when I copied the 25gb muxed file onto the new 2tb drive and the space indicator in the my computer window didn't even show a blip of used space - MASSIVE! Though I could still see myself picking up another 2tb in the not too distant future.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You could try extracting main movie and core DTS with Clown_BD.

I remember a few times I tried downconverting DTS-MA in tsMuxer and it bombed out on the audio somehow. I suspect in your case there may be something about the audio track that tsMuxer doesn't like, because IIRC those very same tracks that bombed for me gave me errors in eac3to (from within Clown_BD), like sync byte missing, sync byte discontinuity, etc. But it corrected the errors with a second pass. And occasionally eac3to will choke if converting DTS-MA to AC3. But it never has failed to extract core DTS for me. After which it will convert to AC3 no problem.

If you're doing full disc all I can think of is to use BDRB and convert the audio to AC3. Personally, I'd convert to AC3 regardless.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93
    But it corrected the errors with a second pass.
    Now that you mention it I do recall something about a clipping 2nd pass required message.

I am currently muxing a dts core I extracted from the ripped folder using eac3to. I will copy that to my usb drive and see if that works out.

By the way the file that tsmuxer downmixed did play apparently correctly it just wouldn't output in 5.1 stereo only, and the bluray player did identify the audio correctly as dts 5.1.

I'm just about finished muxing the video with the new audio and then I'll copy that to the harddrive. I'll go ahead and test that and let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

Edit - and yes I do know your reasoning for mixing to ac3 anyway. I probably will do that in the end for saving some space even though with a 2tb I won't need to early on. But of course it will eventually fill up.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok I thought I'd give an update.

I did extract a dts core from the ripped bluray folder that I still had on the harddrive. I muxed that into the movie only m2ts that I am using to play on the bluray player.

It had the same symptoms. No clipping message this time (extracted from original folder using eac3to). So I could play the video just fine but the audio only outputted in stereo. Again the player displayed the audio as a dts 5.1 audio file as it should.

So I have decided for the time being to forgo dts. I wasn't planning on even trying dts-ma for size reasons and now I think I'll just give up on sd dts too.

This time I converted the ripped dts core to ac3 to ensure I had the right language track and muxed that with my movie only track. Again I was able to get 5.1 audio and more importantly the english track this time (I had spanish the other time, I am not sure how that happened).

SO I have a satisfactory processory now setup. I will rip my dts-ma bluray discs with anydvdhd. Then I extract the main audio track into 640kpbs ac3 and then mux that into the movie only track into m2ts. That way I will get a no encoding needed 1080p 5.1 movie I can copy to my usb harddrive. The total time will still be about three hours or so it seems.

It takes about an hour to rip a movie for me (old amd dual core 2.7ghz). Then it took about an hour to mux. I can't remember how much it took to get the separate ac3 audio but lets say 20minutes. Then it takes about 20 minutes to copy the 25gb or m2t2 file to my usb harddrive (it is a usb 3 harddrive but I still have usb 2 on my computer, I am thinking about getting a pci usb 3 card to speed up file transfers).

All in all this is loads easier than encoding a whole movie to 1080p on my machine. That would take at least a few days I think. Even 720p would take awhile. I would use my ps3 and hdpvr to do a realtime dub but I can't get 5.1 with dts-ma bluray movies.

I do plan on doing my dolby true hd bluray movies with my hdpvr. I think I'll aim for 8gb file sizes for those. I'm not sure I'll copy all of my bluray movies. But I'll certainly do a lot.

Thanks everyone.
    Quote Quote