VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi everyone! just joined today---I have a portable dvd player; RCA DRC99310u; I'd like to be able to set it to "0" regions so I can play all dvds; any ideas or suggestions?? Thx!--"amish girl"
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    There are a few set top DVD players that you can change the region. Unfortunately very few portable players that can do that. You can do a search, but I think you may be out of luck. I don't see any references in our 'DVD Hacks' forum. But maybe one of our members is familiar with that particular player.

And welcome to our forums.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It's been YEARS since I've heard of a portable that could be unlocked. Specialty players of all kinds, including portables, DVD/TV combos, DVD/VCR combos, home theater systems, almost never can be unlocked.

MOST DVD players sold in the USA CANNOT be unlocked. Even among normal standalone players this is true.

Finally, you need to understand that if you somehow do get the player unlocked, some US DVDs will refuse to play in it if you set the region to 0. To prevent foreigners from buying region 1 DVD releases instead of their own region's release of the same stuff (often the region 1 has extras that other regions lack, hence the interest) some studios use this trick called RCE that makes the disc refuse to play if the region is 0. For such discs you must reset the region to 1.
    Quote Quote  
  4. According to the specs it can play HD content using Divx via USB. You might consider buying a large USB stick.
    A 32Gb pendrive could store a LOT of movies converted to Divx. It would save you lugging a heavy DVD case about too!

You might consider copying your collection. You can re-author them to be region free, and it would mean you have
    a backup at home should you lose them traveling. BE AWARE: I have read the the unit only accepts DVD-R media.
    Don't know if this is true but it means you probably can't use RW media either.
    Quote Quote